Anyone from Manchester UK?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Anyone from Manchester UK?

Postby Stephen K » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:43 pm

I plan to visit Manchester UK from 28 September to 1/2 October to watch a football match (Manchester United - Tottenham Hotspur on 29 Sept.).

From those who live in Manchester, I would really appreciate some advice. What hotel would you recommend that I stay at (I guess closer to the airport would be best)? What places/attractions are must-to-visit? And most importantly, any Theravada temples/centres you would recommend that I see?

Thanks a lot!! :smile:
With metta,
Upāsaka Sumana (Stephen)

My philosophy is simple: Saying 'yes' to the positive and 'no' to the negative; because the positive is so much better than the negative.

Stop the evil; start and continue the good.
Stephen K

Re: Anyone from Manchester UK?

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:13 pm

Stephen K wrote:And most importantly, any Theravada temples/centres you would recommend that I see?

The Saraniya Dhamma Meditation Centre is probably worth a visit.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Ben » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi Stefan,

You might also want to check out Lonely Planet for places to stay.
kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Mawkish1983 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:53 am

Hello, I live in Manchester. If you hold on until this evening my wife said she'd advise you about hotels. What's your budget?
Mawkish1983

Postby Stephen K » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:18 pm

Bhante, thank you for the link to the centre. I'll be sure to pay it a visit.

Ben, thanks for the link to the lonelyplanet site -- it has all the information I need on hotels, flights and sightseeing!

Mawkish, thank you in advance for your wife's advice on hotels. I asked my mother (she's paying for the whole trip) about the budget and she said "40-50 euros per night".

Thanks! :smile:
With metta,
Upāsaka Sumana (Stephen)

My philosophy is simple: Saying 'yes' to the positive and 'no' to the negative; because the positive is so much better than the negative.

Stephen K

Postby Mawkish1983 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:36 am

Stephen K wrote:40-50 euros per night

Steph said that, for that budget, your best bet is to try to book early in a Premier Inn or Travelodge. Steph recommends you look nearer to Old Trafford because the hotel prices near the airport are inflated. She said that 'bed and breakfasts' may be cheaper, but are highly unsanitary. She recommends 'laterooms.com' for cheap prices or go direct to the Premier Inn or Travelodge websites. She says you should book as early as possible.

I don't know how useful this is.
Mawkish1983

Postby Stephen K » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:38 am

Mawkish1983 wrote:
Stephen K wrote:40-50 euros per night

Steph said that, for that budget, your best bet is to try to book early in a Premier Inn or Travelodge. Steph recommends you look nearer to Old Trafford because the hotel prices near the airport are inflated. She said that 'bed and breakfasts' may be cheaper, but are highly unsanitary. She recommends 'laterooms.com' for cheap prices or go direct to the Premier Inn or Travelodge websites. She says you should book as early as possible.

I don't know how useful this is.

Thank you, it is very useful! We were already looking into Premier Inn, and now that you too have recommended it - Premier Inn it is! Say thanks to your wife for all the advice.
With metta,
Upāsaka Sumana (Stephen)

Stephen K

Postby Stephen K » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:38 pm

Just booked my flight tickets and hotel reservations! Will be flying on 28 September and back on 2 October. Will be staying at Premier Inn near Manchester Airport. It will be my first visit to the UK, having only been to Italy before (other than Bulgaria and Greece).
With metta,
Upāsaka Sumana (Stephen)

Stephen K

Return to Lounge