Dhamma Wheel Lounge vs. Scenes from Casablanca?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Dhamma Wheel Lounge vs. Scenes from Casablanca?

Postby christopher::: » Mon May 04, 2009 4:24 pm

I just watched the movie "Casablanca" for the first time, this weekend. I've seen bits and pieces over the years but had never sat down and watched the whole movie, straight through. I started laughing somewhere about 20 minutes in, thinking the storyline looked familiar. Refuges & outcasts from all over Europe, fleeing the E-Gestapo.

Ben & Retro's Club Australian... errr.. no sorry, Rick's Club American, while creating an American atmosphere for some reason seemed to attract many non-Therava... cough... I mean, non-Americans... People coming from all over, rubbing elbows together in this "refuge" from the war.... I dunno, anyone else see the resemblance? If so, I guess ZFI would be kinda like the Blue Parrot, so that must be either me or hrtbeat7 on the left....

InsideCasablanca.jpg
InsideCasablanca.jpg (10.05 KiB) Viewed 199 times

:hug:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
christopher:::

Re: Dhamma Wheel Lounge vs. Scenes from Casablanca?

Postby Ben » Mon May 04, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi Christopher,
You mean, you've only just seen Casablanca? Where have you been Chris?
Its a great movie! I like your observations though I don't feel so comfortable taking credit for Hotel Australian. In reality, Dhamma Wheel its more like Hotel Australian, Bangkok and America!
For your interest, some other good Bogart movies is the Maltese Falcon and African Queen.

Your post borders on something that I wanted to devote a thread to. In the last couple of days I was thinking how pleasant it is here at Dhamma Wheel. Except for one minor hiccup late last week, there hasn't been even a minor moderation issue since...I can't remember when! The pleasant demeanour and good behaviour of our membership has made the role of moderator near-on obsolete! And that is a great thing! And Dhamma Wheel has exceeded my expectations as a friendly and respectful venue that supports the Theravada and those interested in the Path of the Elders.

I just want to say how grateful I am to be a part of this forum, to be able to serve you, however insignificantly!, to be able to converse and learn from you and our collective discussions, but most of all, for your companionship on the path. Thanks for making Dhamma Wheel what it is!
Metta

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Re: Dhamma Wheel Lounge vs. Scenes from Casablanca?

Postby Nadi » Mon May 04, 2009 11:50 pm

I haven't been part of e-sangha, so I have no idea what the drama is about. But I have found this forum to be very helpful. Most of all, because it gives me a feeling of not being alone on the path (ever since I moved to a new suburb a year or so ago, I haven't had as much contact with my dhamma friends as I used to). So yeah, a big thank you to everyone involved in dhamma wheel.
With Metta,
Nadi
Nadi

Return to Lounge