Language method for Sinhala?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
puppha

Language method for Sinhala?

Post by puppha »

Dear All,

I would like to learn a bit of Sinhala. I naively thought that Assimil would have something, but no...
Could anyone advise me a decent language method to learn Sinhala?

Many thanks!

With Metta
daverupa

Re: Language method for Sinhala?

Post by daverupa »

Peruse the following website, which may be of help in furthering your research. In particular, the links near the bottom offer some good immersion resources such as radio.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
puppha

Post by puppha »

Thank you, daverupa. It's a good start point.

With Metta
BKh

Post by BKh »

It's not a method, but An Introduction to Spoken Sinhala by Professor W.S. Karunatillaka seems to be quite good. There is a PDF version on Scribit, but the scan quality is very low. It's good enough to get a sense of the book though.

Do post back if you find anything else.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
puppha

Post by puppha »

Dear BKh,
BKh wrote:It's not a method, but An Introduction to Spoken Sinhala by Professor W.S. Karunatillaka seems to be quite good. There is a PDF version on Scribit, but the scan quality is very low. It's good enough to get a sense of the book though.

Do post back if you find anything else.
Thank you, that looks interesting indeed.

I found other things on the internet:
On the wikipedia page for the Sinhala language, I found a link at the bottom for the USA Foreign Institute which has a basic course in Sinhala (3 rather large PDF documents).

The SOAS post-graduate course in Sinhala also lists some books:
http://www.soas.ac.uk/courseunits/15PSAC310.html

With all that, I think I can get started.

It's quite interesting to see that it is more difficult to find books or resources to learn Sinhala than to learn Pali!

With Metta