Everything is amazing yet nobody is happy

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Ben

Everything is amazing yet nobody is happy

Post by Ben »

The humour aside, the video has a poignant message.

Yet, why?
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Dan74

Re: Everything is amazing yet nobody is happy

Post by Dan74 »

I am glad I watched it - it's hilarious, Ben, but also true. We do tend to just take it for granted. That's hardly surprising - when you grow up with something, you generally just take it for granted.

I try to explain to my kids how much work goes into all these things they take for granted. How many great ideas, years of exploration that led to them, how much labour and all the different people working together to make it happen. Etc etc

I recall coming to this country 25 years ago how my parents marvelled at how well things work here, how prosperous the place was, how many opportunities existed for people and how often people just squandered these amazing opportunities. And now looking back I can see a fair few I have squandered myself...
_/|\_
cooran

Post by cooran »

Thanks Ben - really funny and true!

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
SDC

Post by SDC »

Louie CK is amazing. Check out his TV show "Louie", it is terrific. He is really doing some interesting work.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Louis C.K. is a perennial favorite of mine. Some vulgarity aside, he is probably the most intelligent comedian working today.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

It's interesting the story behind the scenes. It was Louis CK himself that got pissed by the internet shutting down. He tells the story as if it was another guy. He says that, usualy, when he tells a story about someone acting stupid, it was him who was acting stupid. :mrgreen:

Louis CK is a great comedian, and has a great show called "Louie". If you want to see something funny by him, watch how Louie dealt with Donald Rumsfeld in a radio show. It's probably one of the best things I ever saw him doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK8Y2nO_8TM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Too bad he's going to the hell of laughter!
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
Ytrog

Post by Ytrog »

It is funny because it is true :rofl:
Suffering is asking from life what it can never give you.
mindfulness, bliss and beyond (page 8) wrote:Do not linger on the past. Do not keep carrying around coffins full of dead moments
If you see any unskillful speech (or other action) from me let me know, so I can learn from it.
Buckwheat

Post by Buckwheat »

Classic!!
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.