Yawares popular culture thread

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
yawares

Yawares popular culture thread

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

I truly love Rome!

I was so thrilled to be on my first SAS flight Bangkok-Karachi(2 days off), then Karachi-Athens(only stop for 40 mins)- Rome. We(crews) always had 3 days off in Rome, we stayed at Palatino Hotel that was so close to all beautiful tourist spots: Colosseum, Spanish Steps,,Pantheon, Basilica of San Giovanni in Laterano Rome's cathedral,Vatican and Trevi Fountain - dramatic fountain famed for coin-throwing.etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG5mQpM0 ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... cDewGlvvos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK6wI5Gr ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trevi Fountain

I could walk all day without getting tired, and my 3 days perdiem ran out so fast, Clothes/handbags/shoes were so pretty to drain my money and left me enough just for pizzas and cappuccino!!

Those days, first time I was at Vatican, I and my friend wore bluejeans and flower-blouses, we were not allowed to enter THE VATICAN...must wear nice dress..pants/sexy dress no,no, no can do!!

The Vatican church is the largest church in the world

As you see from Youtube..what not to love in Rome!!!
yawares
:heart:
Last edited by yawares on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aloka

Re: Beautiful Rome

Post by Aloka »

Hi yawares,

Yes I too think that Rome is a beautiful city. I found everything there absolutely fascinating - and I too walked all day every day and didn't feel tired in the least .

with metta

Aloka
yawares

Post by yawares »

[quote="Aloka"]Hi yawares,
Dear Aloka,

So happy to know that you love Rome too...my daughter doesn't!!!..she loves Zurich, Switzerland...New Zealand and Hawaii.
You ever watch movie LOVERS MUST LEARN by Troy Donahue/Suzanne Pleshette??... about 2 lovers in Rome,very romantic!!!
If you want to see this movie you can buy @ amazon.com.

: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwAPdCFJ ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee3srkWQEMc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My husband calls my room "yawares-theatre"(too many videos/DVDs!),
yawares
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Hi yawares,

I enjoyed seeing some of Rome again in your YouTube links, thank you.

However I've lost interest in movies to be honest - they're mostly fiction and fantasy stories which often stimulate the emotions unnecessarily.

with metta

Aloka
yawares

Ricky Nelson's Death/Welcome To My World

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

I saw the news about Ricky Nelson's death on tv, Date of Death 31 December 1985 , De Kalb, Texas, USA (plane crash). I was so sad because I love his songs very very much.

NEWS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywLX4z-Pats" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Traveling Man: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0janfcZ8 ... ure=fvwrel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Teenage Idol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvZ4I5XA ... ure=fvwrel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll follow you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyZAJQgrXKk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-------------------
Comments on the news:

Remembering Rick Nelson on the 26th anniversary of his death. News report from LA on the death of Ricky Nelson. Such a sad day, and sadder still about the ugly rumors, all proven to be untrue.
jesmelric

Such a sad day indeed..But we will rave on for Rick as he said 26 years ago.
pitou878

We are lucky we still have all the music to enjoy, he left a great legacy .
jesmelric

Rick was a sweet man. I was fortunate to be considered a friend. He was always a true gentleman.
RickNelsonLady

I will never forget that day. Rick and I were friends for 6 and half years and I have been to a lot of parties, where there was partying going on and not once did I ever see Rick (or any of the band members), with drugs. I, too, have stopped listening to the media. Rick, I will always love and miss you. I haven't partied on New Years Eve since that day!
HallieBee

Agreed 100%. And what's sad is that many people still think TO THIS DAY that the cause of the crash was freebasing. I guess that makes a better story than a heater malfunction. RIP Rick, Helen, Bobby, and the rest of the band. You guys didn't deserve this.
ronfowlermusic

It's really sad the way Rick died, his band also died with him, so it was a great loss.
nina1823

This is a PERFECT example of WHY you should never rely on the media...to get your news!...And it's even MORE TRUE TODAY!... Notice we NEVER heard as much in the media about Rick's death AFTER it was proven the heater was the cause...and no drugs were involved... I NEVER watch TV news...nor listen to NPR...It's all agenda based, now...
Rowlandph

Such a sad day, and everytime I play his music or watch him on youtube, it still feels like he is still here with us. I wanna slap everyone that started those nasty rumors about him, when the poor guy can't even defend himself. Sick people. Rest in peace beautiful Ricky, you are loved and missed by so many.
missohio83

Very sad day... Why must the media always throw in something ugly when a famous person dies? Ricky, we are still mourning your untimely lose, and we think about you and the music you made every day!
nellwackwitz
Love Ricky Nelson,
yawares :heart:
Last edited by yawares on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr Man

Re: Ricky Nelson's Death

Post by Mr Man »

I love this song and the video
yawares

Re: Ricky Nelson's Death

Post by yawares »

Mr Man wrote:

I love this song and the video
Dear Mr.Man,

Thank you for the song..kind of sad...let me cheer you up:

Hello Mary Lou: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3H_U9MG8nE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yawares
Last edited by yawares on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yawares

Eight Below/Journey To The Center Of The Earth

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

Yesterday I watched my favorite movie 'Eight Below' starring handsome Paul Walker. It is the thrilling tale of incredible friendship between 8 amazing sled dogs and their guide Jerry(Paul Walker).Stranded in Antarctica during the most unforgiving winter on the planet, Jerry's beloved sled dogs must learn to survive together until Jerry who will stop at nothing to rescue them. Driven by unwavering bonds of friendship, enormous belief in one another and tremendous courage, Jerry and the dogs make an incredible journey to reunite in this triumphant and inspiring action adventure the whole family will treasure.

I truly love this movie , beautiful sceneries, an abundance of natural splendor to spectacularly arctic locations in Norway, Greenland and Canada, and handsome Paul Walker (star of JOY RIDE) lends an amiable sincerity to his compassionate role. For most viewers, however, it's the remarkable dogs (six Siberian huskies and two malamutes) who make Eight Below so thoroughly entertaining.

Very impressive movie,wanna watch? :jumping:
yawares :heart:
yawares

I Won't Back Down/An Appointment To Remember

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

I won't back down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUTXb-ga1fo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
------

Pad was my best airline-friend, she was as lovely as a pink-lotus, while I was like a red hot pepper never back down,anyone played dirty with me would pay the price,.... but Pad and I clicked.

One day Pad drove her brand new yellow Toyota Crown to my house asking me to go get new Thai dresses with her{SAS let us(12 girls) have 2 new Thai dresses(custom made) every 6 months with free dry cleaning everywhere we stayed}. As we were on the bridge, a sport-car behind us hit Pad's car. The man stopped, came out and blamed Pad for driving too slow and refused to pay for the dammage. I let them talked, I went to his blue sport car and grabbed the car keys,put in my purse. I walked back to tell the man that he must pay for the dammage or he would be in trouble. He laughed and went back to his car but couldn't drive away...no car key! He was so mad when I playfully showed him the keys..he walked toward me. I asked him to pay again, he still said no...I threw his keys into the river of no return.(in Thailand,car-insurance not popular..we have to be vigilant)

Suddenly I saw a policeman in his motorcycle, I jumped up and down waving to get his attention. The moment the police came to me I knew that.. with me and Pad..the sport-car man had no chance in NIRAYA to win this case!!I told him what really happened and I demanded to be paid now. The cop went to see the dammage and asked the man for his driver license and told him to pay. The bad man complained to the police that I threw his car keys into the river.I saw the cop trying to hide his smile while ordering him to pay 8,000 baths($350). He madly paid Pad by check that the police approved. The cob gave him back his driver license. The bad man left in a taxi and we both thanked the police, without him Pad would never get paid. We invited him to have lunch with us(absolutely not DOUGHNUTs!!) at a very nice restaurant that had 2 famous singers to sing at lunchtime.

That Day Pad/I chose the same color Thai silk dresses, yellow and bright skyblue. Pad thanked me for helping her get the money/revenge for her new Toyota. We became best friend since then.

I won't back down!
yawares....Thai policemen do not eat DOUGHNUTs
Last edited by yawares on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ben

Re: I Won't Back Down !!

Post by Ben »

Nice story, Yawares!
Thank you for sharing.
with metta,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
yawares

Re: I Won't Back Down !!

Post by yawares »

[quote="Ben"]Nice story, Yawares!
Thank you for sharing.
with metta,

Ben
Dear Ben,
Thank you for your comment/not thinking that I was a she-devil.
yawares(with more metta :heart: nowaday )
yawares

Milli Vanilli Death

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,

I still remember the day I/my teenage daughter went to buy video music "Milli Vanilli", we loved the cute/fun/sad
songs and they were great dancers too. We love every songs in that album.

Baby Don't Forget My Number: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdUzwTZju8w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Girl You Know It's True : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0qTOkUPlGk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Girl I'm Gonna Miss You : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgmtxGSJlEw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rob Pilatus(June 8, 1965 – April 2, 1998) was a German-American model and break dancer, before joining Fabrice Morvan in 1988 to form the pop group Milli Vanilli.
Pilatus and Morvan were noticed by music producer Frank Farian, who signed them to be part of a musical act.
Shortly after a trip to Turkey, where the duo reputedly took its name from a local advertising slogan, Milli
Vanilli was born. Pilatus and Morvan served as the public faces for singers Charles Shaw and Brad Howell, who
Farian thought were talented but lacked a marketable image

The first Milli Vanilli platinum album was Girl You Know It's True, which became a worldwide hit. The album
produced five hit singles including three number 1 hits, "Girl I'm Gonna Miss You", "Baby Don't Forget My Number"
and "Blame It On The Rain". Milli Vanilli won the Grammy Award for Best New Artist on February 21, 1990 for "Girl
You Know It's True".

Despite the enormous success, the duo were a frequent target of rumours and allegations of onstage lip-synching and not having sung on the album. Charles Shaw, one of the actual vocalists, told a reporter the truth, but
retracted his statement after Farian paid him $150,000.

When Pilatus and Morvan pressured Farian to let them sing on the next album, Farian admitted to reporters on
November 15, 1990 that they had not performed on the recordings. Milli Vanilli's Grammy Award was withdrawn four
days later, and Arista Records dropped them from its roster and deleted their album and songs from their catalog,
making Girl You Know It's True the largest-selling album to ever be taken out of print. A court ruling in the
United States allowed anyone who had bought the album to receive a refund.

Death
In the years following the collapse of Milli Vanilli, Rob Pilatus struggled with substance abuse and even suicide
attempts.On April 2, 1998, on the eve of a promotional tour for a new completed Milli Vanilli album 'Back and in
Attack', featuring Rob Pilatus and Fab Morvan on lead vocals, Rob Pilatus was found dead at the age of 33 from a
suspected alcohol and prescription pill overdose in a Frankfurt hotel room. His death was ruled accidental.
'Back
and in Attack' has never been released.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... illi+death" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I still keep Milli Vanilli video music and love all the beautiful songs.

Do you like Milli Vanilli's songs/dances ???
yawares
:thumbsup:
Last edited by yawares on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Annapurna

Re: Milli Vanilli Death

Post by Annapurna »

Yes, I admired the grace and beauty of Milli Vanilli as well.

They were forced into living a lie and I also felt very sorry to hear of this early death.

I thought the end of the career and the shame broke his heart and he numbed the pain with intoxicants.

So many things are not necessary...
yawares

Post by yawares »

[quote="Annapurna"]Yes, I admired the grace and beauty of Milli Vanilli as well.

They were forced into living a lie and I also felt very sorry to hear of this early death.

I thought the end of the career and the shame broke his heart and he numbed the pain with intoxicants.

Dear Annapurna,

I agree with you 100%...I remember this Buddha's verse:

Verse 7. He who lives looking for pleasures only, his senses uncontrolled, idle, and weak, Mâra will certainly overthrow him, as the wind throws down a weak tree.

yawares
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Baby Don't Forget My Number was a good song.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."