Brainwashed into quitting

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Brainwashed into quitting

Postby plwk » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:25 pm

A group of medical students from the Universiti Sains Malaysia, one of the biggest universities in Malaysia, has allegedly been brainwashed into leaving their studies by a Buddhist monk.
More here. Others: 1 2
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Re: Brainwashed into quitting

Postby James the Giant » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:47 pm

I wish someone could wash my brain. It's pretty full of defilements, it could do with a good brain washing.
But seriously, those students definitely sound as if they were duped, brainwashed, or convinced by a pretty bad monk. That monk has plain old wrong view, plus an unfortunate power over young people. I hope they can get back to their studies.
It would be interesting to know who the monk was, and with what school/temple he is based.
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Postby plwk » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:46 pm

Me too but the news sources refuse to mention it. Maybe, I can try my connections... :tongue:
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby dharmagoat » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:36 pm

These students were led to believe that patients should not receive medical treatment for their condition as sickness is the result of their karma,” Chong said. “They are convinced that they should not become doctors as the act of treating patients will interfere with karma.

Are there really negative consequences of "interfering with karma"? It seems like such a strange concept in the first place. Are we not "interfering with karma" in everything that we do? What about alleviating the suffering of others? Does this monk suggest that we refrain from that?
dharmagoat

Postby m0rl0ck » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:17 am

If this actually happend and isnt just anti-buddhist rhetoric, this is a pretty dumb group of prospective medical students and being diverted from that course might have saved their possible future patients much pain and suffering.
"Even if you've read the whole Canon and can remember lots of teachings; even if you can explain them in poignant ways, with lots of people to respect you; even if you build a lot of monastery buildings, or can explain inconstancy, stress, and not-self in the most detailed fashion ... The only thing that serves your own true purpose is release from suffering.

"And you'll be able to gain release from suffering only when you know the one mind."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... eleft.html
m0rl0ck

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:12 am

What about quitting medical studies to become monks, so that you can learn the true Dhamma and do something to counter-act the bad kamma of those who are spreading wrong views in the name of Buddhism?
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Return to Lounge