HOT NEWS : Orionid Meteor Shower Peaks Tonight!!!

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
yawares

HOT NEWS : Orionid Meteor Shower Peaks Tonight!!!

Post by yawares »

Dear Members,
:heart: Look For A Star :heart: : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grf5LIFJ ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:jumping: Orionid Meteor Shower Peaks Tonight :jumping:
[By Tariq Malik]

This year’s best viewing will be …
The Orionid meteor shower will rain bits of Halley's Comet on Earth tonight in a promising weekend "shooting star" display. You can even watch the celestial fireworks online if bad weather spoils your local view.

The 2012 Orionid meteor shower will peak early Sunday (Oct. 21), but should still be an impressive sight throughout the overnight hours of late Saturday, NASA scientists say. The space agency will stream live meteor shower views from an all-sky camera at its Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala.

"Earth is passing through a stream of debris from Halley's Comet , the source of the Orionids," meteor expert Bill Cooke of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office said in a statement. "Flakes of comet dust hitting the atmosphere should give us dozens of meteors per hour."

The best time to see the Orionid meteor shower is before sunrise on Sunday morning. At that time, Earth will be passing through the densest part of the Halley's Comet debris stream. [Photos: Orionid Meteor Shower of 2012 ]

The Orionids appear to radiate out of the well-known constellation Orion, hence their name. In the predawn hours this weekend, the constellation is visible in the southern sky.

"Since 2006, the Orionids have been one of the best meteor showers of the year, with counts in some years up to 60 or more meteors per hour," Cooke said.

NASA's live view of the Orionids begins tonight at 11 p.m. EDT and ends at 3 a.m. EDT on Sunday (0300 to 0700 GMT). The space agency will provide a Ustream feed of the Orionids from its all-sky camera, as well as a web chat with astronomer Mitzi Adams to answer reader questions. You can access the webcast and video stream here at 11 p.m. tonight.

yawares :heart: :jumping:
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: HOT NEWS : Orionid Meteor Shower Peaks Tonight!!!

Post by Sam Vara »

Many thanks yawares.

Sadly, the weather here in the UK is thick cloud and rain. I hope the NASA coverage is good!
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Weather here in Oktober in Germany a very rare "constellation".

We are benefitting from a southern wind, guiding African warmth to us.

What I have never seen before in my life:

Low hanging clouds and foggy areas that are not white, but yellow/ocre from Sahara desert dust.

Very, very strange to look at, almost tangible.
yawares

Post by yawares »

Sam Vara wrote:Many thanks yawares.

Sadly, the weather here in the UK is thick cloud and rain. I hope the NASA coverage is good!
Dear "Sam Vara",
This Sunday early morning, I went out to walk meditation at 5 AM...and the sky was so cloudy..I couldn't see Orionid meteor shower/stars/moon :cry:
And no news about meteor showers this morning...wonder why not? :jumping:

I'll try NASA coverage,
yawares
yawares

Post by yawares »

Annapurna wrote:Weather here in Oktober in Germany a very rare "constellation".

We are benefitting from a southern wind, guiding African warmth to us.

What I have never seen before in my life:

Low hanging clouds and foggy areas that are not white, but yellow/ocre from Sahara desert dust.

Very, very strange to look at, almost tangible
Dear Annapurna,

Oh I wish I could see what you saw...
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... esert+dust" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do these pictures come close to what you saw?.....cloudy sky above my town(College Station,TX) make it impossible to see meteor shower/moon/stars at 5 AM.....but the weather is so nice/cool :smile:

yawares :smile: