Congratulations to Americans

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Kim OHara

Re: Congratulations to Americans

Post by Kim OHara »

cooran wrote:And for those Americans who said they would move to Australia if Obama was re-elected .... there is something you should know:

Australia has Universal Health Care,
Compulsory Voting,
No Guns,
No Death Penalty,
Pro-choice when it comes to Contraception,
Openly Gay Politicians and Judges,
Evolution is Taught in all Schools,
And our Female Prime Minister is an Unmarried Atheist.

Be sure to Declare Your Pitchforks at Tullamarine Airport

https://www.facebook.com/#!/fivecreative" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
I have just found this on http://www.abc.net.au/technology/articl ... 628527.htm. Maybe that's where you found it, too?
But other stuff there deserves an airing too:
tarep.jpg
tarep.jpg (14.12 KiB) Viewed 3181 times
mitt.jpg
mitt.jpg (32.29 KiB) Viewed 3181 times
:twisted:

... and "Obama Tweeted the most Retweeted Tweet ever (https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/ ... 3945503744) - knocking Justin Bieber off his perch and thereby restoring some faith in humanity."
:smile:
Kim
robertk

Post by robertk »

cooran wrote:And for those Americans who said they would move to Australia if Obama was re-elected .... there is something you should know:

with metta
Chris
Are there any politicians in Australia or USA who against choice in contraception. I know in the Philippines there is the Catholic lobby against using contraceptives but I think not an issue in other countries.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Rob,

Access to Birth Control Sparks US Political Controversy
‘’Birth control is also an issue in the U.S. presidential race. Republican hopeful Rick Santorum speaks out repeatedly against birth control.
"Many in the Christian faith have said, 'Well, that's okay; contraception is okay.'

It is not okay. It is a license to do things in the sexual realm that are counter to how things are supposed to be," Santorum said.’’
http://www.voanews.com/content/access-t ... 75045.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

robertk wrote:

with metta
Chris
Are there any politicians in Australia or USA who against choice in contraception. I know in the Philippines there is the Catholic lobby against using contraceptives but I think not an issue in other countries.
It's still very much a live issue in other countries, especially the majority-Cathlic countries - see http://www.latitudenews.com/story/mixed ... raception/. It has been an issue in Muslim countries, too, but I don't know details.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

Charles Darwin gets 4,000 votes in US election
A Georgia congressman who attacked the theory of evolution found himself with an unlikely opponent in Tuesday's US election, when 4,000 voters in one county cast write-in ballots for the 19th century father of evolution, British naturalist Charles Darwin.
In a September 27 speech, Paul Broun, a physician and member of the US House of Representatives Science, Space and Technology Committee, called evolution and the Big Bang Theory, "lies straight from the pit of hell".
Since Mr Broun, a Republican, had no opposition in the general election, a University of Georgia plant biology professor, Jim Leebens-Mack, and others started a write-in campaign for Darwin, the father of the theory of evolution.

More: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-10/c ... on/4364602

:rolleye:
Kim
BubbaBuddhist

Post by BubbaBuddhist »

What the article didn't mention was that William Paley received 10,000 write in votes from Republicans. :tongue:

BB
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Kim O'Hara wrote: It's still very much a live issue in other countries, especially the majority-Cathlic countries.
Ireland seems until recently to have been a particularly extreme case:

"On 22 May 1971 a group of Irish feminists including Mary Kenny travelled to Belfast by rail and made their return to Dublin laden with contraceptive devices into a statement on the illogicality of the law. This provoked criticism from the Roman Catholic Church in Ireland; Thomas Ryan, Bishop of Clonfert, said that "... never before, and certainly not since penal times was the Catholic heritage of Ireland subjected to so many insidious onslaughts on the pretext of conscience, civil rights and women's liberation.""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contracept ... of_Ireland

As the old joke went: "The clever Irish have found a way around their country's condom ban. They smuggle them across the border hidden inside bags of heroin."
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
Sambojjhanga

Post by Sambojjhanga »

Dhammanando wrote:
As the old joke went: "The clever Irish have found a way around their country's condom ban. They smuggle them across the border hidden inside bags of heroin."
Thanks a lot, Bhikkhu, I nearly sprayed my morning coffee all over me laptop screen...now THAT is funny!

Metta

:anjali:
Sabba rasam dhammaraso jinati
The flavor of the dhamma exceeds all other flavors
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

I was just scanning through my facebook feed and discovered there was a petition by two states to leave the Union! but upon looking further there are quite a few states on the petition pages of the whitehouse.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I counted 17 states?
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
marc108

Post by marc108 »

Cittasanto wrote:I was just scanning through my facebook feed and discovered there was a petition by two states to leave the Union! but upon looking further there are quite a few states on the petition pages of the whitehouse.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I counted 17 states?
these arent official state petitions. they are online petitions started by fringe groups of people... the same groups that would burn gays and Buddhists at the stake lol. left overs from the old days. no continental American state will ever want to (or be allowed) to succeed.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

marc108 wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:I was just scanning through my facebook feed and discovered there was a petition by two states to leave the Union! but upon looking further there are quite a few states on the petition pages of the whitehouse.
I counted 17 states?
these arent official state petitions. they are online petitions started by fringe groups of people... the same groups that would burn gays and Buddhists at the stake lol. left overs from the old days. no continental American state will ever want to (or be allowed) to succeed.
so the white house website has petitions which are not official petitions.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
LonesomeYogurt

Post by LonesomeYogurt »

Cittasanto wrote:so the white house website has petitions which are not official petitions.
Yeah, you can make a petition on the site, not every petition on the website is officially sanctioned.
Gain and loss, status and disgrace,
censure and praise, pleasure and pain:
these conditions among human beings are inconstant,
impermanent, subject to change.

Knowing this, the wise person, mindful,
ponders these changing conditions.
Desirable things don’t charm the mind,
undesirable ones bring no resistance.

His welcoming and rebelling are scattered,
gone to their end,
do not exist.
- Lokavipatti Sutta

Stuff I write about things.
fig tree

Post by fig tree »

I counted 17 states?
The idea, unsupported in constitutional law, that states have the right to secede (as a guard against a "tyrannical federal government") has had a long history of popularity especially in the South. I suppose it makes them feel better about their ancestors having decided to secede. The idea that the federal government under Obama has become tyrannical is one of those crackpot ideas that Republicans have played around with in the past few years, like the idea that he isn't actually American.

In 2009 a poll indicated 18% of Texans supported secession of Texas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Secession_Movement

A lot of us are pretty happy with this last election. If the people who voted against Obama because they suspect his birth certificate was forged (and also the birth announcement in the local Hawaiian newspaper...), and the people who voted against Romney because they don't think Mormons are Christian enough had all stayed home, however, I think it'd have been better still. Imagine, a rational election! :jumping:

Fig Tree
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

:shrug:
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

seeker242 wrote:Image

:shrug:
Yep, there's still plenty of political work for Americans to do.
I think Obama knows it, too, with the financial guillotine hanging over his head while he tries to speed up the post-Sandy recovery.

Metta to all,
Kim