Newtown Shootings

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Mr Man

Re: Newtown Shootings

Post by Mr Man »

tiltbillings wrote:
Why should I answer your questions when you do not answer mine?
Which question was that tilt?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Mr Man wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Let us just drop it here.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

tiltbillings wrote:
Mr Man wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Let us just drop it here.
Fair enough but I couldn't find a question that you had asked me when you made that post.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

tiltbillings wrote:
Alex wrote:Killing or hurting for self defense is still killing or hurting. It appears that it is still negative kamma.
So, you will just let the person kill you or kill others, even though you could stop it? Also, keep in mind the Buddha's definition of kamma.
What if one's premature death is due to akusala kamma vipāka? Can one avoid such negative vipāka by having guns? Remember the story of MahaMoggallana? He had super super powers and yet couldn't prevent his own painful death which was result of bad kamma done long time ago.

According to commentarial Abhidhamma it explicitly states that all unpleasant bodily feelings is vipāka. So being shot, etc, is result of past akusala kamma .
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Cittasanto wrote:
Mr Man wrote:Doesn't the word "kill" inply intent?
to a degree yes, but you do not have to have the intent to kill for a death to be kammically unwholesome. as an example, cutting corners with equiptment, unsafe use, or being careless could kill someone, yet killing is not the intention, so to say that has no kammic effect would both be correct and incorrect as the effect/end result does effect the outcome, yet it is the intention which matters most.
Being careless while, lets say driving, and getting into an accident is one thing.

But what about buying a gun (or worse, an assault rifle), buying ammo, practicing target shooting, bringing gun with you wherever you go, then deliberately accurately aiming and shooting? Doesn't sound accidental or un-intentional to me.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Mr Man wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:
Mr Man wrote: Doesn't the word "kill" inply intent?
to a degree yes, but you do not have to have the intent to kill for a death to be kammically unwholesome. as an example, cutting corners with equiptment, unsafe use, or being careless could kill someone, yet killing is not the intention, so to say that has no kammic effect would both be correct and incorrect as the effect/end result does effect the outcome, yet it is the intention which matters most.
Maybe from a doctrinal point of view you are correct Cittasanto (i'm not sure though). When people cause death through negligence there is still definite karmic consequence just possibly not the Karmic consequence of the intention to kill. Personally I don't look at karma in such a legalistic way (in terms of Vinaya/precepts it would be different). The karmic consequence could be devastating.
who is talking about doctrinal or legality points of view? It is foolish to assert what informs an opinion & expression, and the opinion itself are all the same thing.
Kammic consequences are not definite - hence kamma being imponderable, because (but not limited to), the numerous factors which influence the fruit of action. It is the intention that is the propelling force, the actual result (in the chain of events) of the acts direct that force.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Alex123 wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Alex wrote:Killing or hurting for self defense is still killing or hurting. It appears that it is still negative kamma.
So, you will just let the person kill you or kill others, even though you could stop it? Also, keep in mind the Buddha's definition of kamma.
What if one's premature death is due to akusala kamma vipāka? Can one avoid such negative vipāka by having guns? Remember the story of MahaMoggallana? He had super super powers and yet couldn't prevent his own painful death which was result of bad kamma done long time ago.

According to commentarial Abhidhamma it explicitly states that all unpleasant bodily feelings is vipāka. So being shot, etc, is result of past akusala kamma .
care to give a specific reference?

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Alex123 wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:
Mr Man wrote:Doesn't the word "kill" inply intent?
Being careless while, lets say driving, and getting into an accident is one thing.

But what about buying a gun (or worse, an assault rifle), buying ammo, practicing target shooting, bringing gun with you wherever you go, then deliberately accurately aiming and shooting? Doesn't sound accidental or un-intentional to me.
because that is a deliberate act you are talking about, rather than what I was talking about!

John Stuart Mill
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Cittasanto wrote:who is talking about doctrinal or legality points of view
Me
It is foolish to assert what informs an opinion & expression, and the opinion itself are all the same thing.
Is that what I was doing?
Kammic consequences are not definite
What I said was "there is still definite karmic consequence" I was not saying there would be a specific karmic consequence
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Cittasanto wrote:care to give a specific reference?
In comprehensive manual of Abhidhamma (Abhidhamma sangaho), for example on page 40-43 (google books) there is a chart that shows that unwholesome resultant body consciousness feels pain, while wholesome bodily consciousness feels pleasant. These are said to be result of kamma.

Also on page 220, one of the causes of death is destructive kamma.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=hxo ... ma&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Alex123 wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:care to give a specific reference?
In comprehensive manual of Abhidhamma (Abhidhamma sangaho), for example on page 40-43 (google books) there is a chart that shows that unwholesome resultant body consciousness feels pain, while wholesome bodily consciousness feels pleasant. These are said to be result of kamma.

Also on page 220, one of the causes of death is destructive kamma.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=hxo ... ma&f=false" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
that is not the same as

John Stuart Mill
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Mr Man wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:who is talking about doctrinal or legality points of view
Me
It is foolish to assert what informs an opinion & expression, and the opinion itself are all the same thing.
Is that what I was doing?
you tell me.
Kammic consequences are not definite
What I said was "there is still definite karmic consequence" I was not saying there would be a specific karmic consequence
misread that sorry, but you didn't say anything I hadn't.

John Stuart Mill
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

I'm closing this thread per the request of the OP.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com