The crazy man spoke to me today!

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

The crazy man spoke to me today!

Postby Individual » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:17 pm

Okay, I mentioned a while ago (on e-Sangha, I think) about the man who was southeast Asian (possibly Indian, Pakistan, etc., or somewhere in the region) who walks back and forth outside for quite a bit of time, as if he were doing walking meditation. A few times, a while ago, I tried to just say "Hello" or "How are you doing?" and in response, he'd wave his arm at me, like some weird gesture, and maybe mumble something indiscernible. He seemed a bit nervous about my dog and one time, she barked at him, and he was startled a bit.

Anyway, I thought he might just be crazy, but I'm still a bit confused: Why would a crazy person walk back and forth, in a straight line, for 30-45 minute sessions, several times a day, every day?

Today, he spoke to me! As I walking away from him, he said, "Bye-bye!" I was surprised to see him speak because I wasn't sure if he even spoke english before. As I spoke to him, I got the impression that he was taking words I was saying and repeating them back to me, like a parrot.

Our conversation went something like this (I might be a bit wrong, because his speech was a bit difficult to understand through his accent and he seemed to be missing a few teeth):

He says, "Bye-bye!"
I turn around and say, "How are you? Is this meditation?" and draw a line along the path with my fingers.
"Meditation."
"...Are you meditating? Are you a Hindu, Buddhist, or Jain?"
"Hindu."
"You're a Hindu? I'm a Buddhist?" and gesture towards myself.
"What's a Buddhist?"
"It was... founded by Siddartha Gautama..."
"Which Gautama? Who is that?"
"Meditation is very good..."
"Meditation good."
"Uh... well... take care!"

Again, to reiterate my question: Why would a crazy person walk back and forth in a line, day-after-day? If he's schizophrenic, mentally disabled, has alzheimer's, etc., how could he even function without a caretaker? And if he has a caretaker, why would they let him wander around like this? Or is he just screwing with me?!

Also, although I think he's crazy, sometimes I see him wearing white or grey robes which look like they might belong to some kind of religious group... sort of like (but not identical) to what the local Zen monk wears. And he's skinny enough that he looks like he has a very restrained diet or fasts a lot...
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Re: The crazy man spoke to me today!

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:30 pm

Greetings Individual,

Maybe he is 'crazy' :quote: ... but that needn't stop him enjoying the mental tranquillity of meditation.

It's probably the favourite part of his day.

Does he seem happy or peaceful while he's doing it?

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: The crazy man spoke to me today!

Postby Individual » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:08 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Individual,

Maybe he is 'crazy' :quote: ... but that needn't stop him enjoying the mental tranquillity of meditation.

It's probably the favourite part of his day.

Does he seem happy or peaceful while he's doing it?

Metta,
Retro. :)

Not sure if I'd call it peaceful. He always has a very serious and stern expression.

Something like this:

Or this:
The first pic is more of a blank, emotionless stare, while the second pic, the guy's brows are more furrowed... He looks like either one, at times.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Return to Lounge