Employers can fire workers they find too sexy

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
corrine

Re: Employers can fire workers they find too sexy

Post by corrine »

I was, personally, appalled at this decision and am hoping that it will be appealed to the U. S. Supreme Court where a more rational decision may be made.

The very idea that someone's employment could be endangered because the employer was attracted to them, is absurd. This is the employer's problem and if he/she is too immature to keep their thoughts and their deeds separate, then the employer needs serious help. Self control is something that each of us must master in order to become a mature, productive, adult human being. The very idea that one cannot control their lust is just ridiculous and that the employee should pay for this is worse.

I think the employer should not only be unable to fire for this cause but should be punished. To take away someone's ability to earn a living is beyond tragic. This employee did nothing wrong and had worked for many years. Does this mean that this person cannot be around anyone to whom he is attracted without acting on that attraction?

If this were my spouse, I would be very worried because this behavior means my spouse is immature and unfeeling and cannot control himself. What a horrible person to be married to.

All of us have cravings. We do not need to act on these cravings. We need to see them as the negative emotions that they are, put them in their place and go about our business. This failing is entirely the employers. Based on this logic, all attractive people should probably be maimed to avoid their being a temptation to others.

I cannot understand this decision except that it took place in the midwest where all sorts of idiotic, backward ideas are still tolerated. Thankfully, I do not live there.

corrine :shrug:
Yana

Post by Yana »

plwk wrote:Image

The Iowa Supreme Court ruled yesterday that employers in the state can legally fire workers they find too attractive.
In a unanimous decision, the court held that a dentist did not violate the state’s civil rights act when he terminated a female dental assistant whom his wife considered a threat to their marriage.
More here
Isn't being attractive relative.Like Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.Everybody has a problem if you show up to work with a lot of cleavege visible.But what if you can pull off sexy with conservative clothes on.Are we "also" gong to get fired.darn.i guess not everyone's a scorpio lady ahaha :tongue:
Life is preparing for Death
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Modus.Ponens wrote:Anna,

We're so far away in what concerns this subject, that it's best not even discuss it.
If that's what you prefer I can respect this, no problem, maybe it is wise then to talk some other time where we find ourselves on terrain that is more agreeable for the 2 of us. :anjali:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your kindness.

(We'd be in trouble if you and I were married and could not talk something over, it just occured to me, but then, we probably wouldn't feel attracted to each other before it even gets this far.... :jumping: :tongue:

But who knows. I am stubborn too. My word is law!!! :rofl:

Only kidding.... :hug:

Anna
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Cittasanto wrote:From what I know it sounds like rubbish spewing forth from his mouth to try and cover himself.
But you're assuming, right...?
he did have another option, act professionally, otherwise the Burkha option is all that is left.
What would you suggest as "acting professionally", then?
one thing this case has shown other employers is a way to bully people legally for sexual stimulous.
I can not remember who said it, but yes if someone turns down advances they can be fired for being too attractive.
That's certainly in the picture, and I have heard of cases where I would have arrived at the same opinion. But here the 2 said:
Melissa Nelson, who worked for dentist James Knight for more than 10 years and had never flirted with him, according to the testimony of both parties
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Annapurna wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:From what I know it sounds like rubbish spewing forth from his mouth to try and cover himself.
But you're assuming, right...?
underlined.
he did have another option, act professionally, otherwise the Burkha option is all that is left.
What would you suggest as "acting professionally", then?
Sending texts about Orgasm would be acting unprofessionally. as would acting toward someone in a way they are not receptive toward (as your below quote demonstrates)

To frame this in a different light. Just because I do not like someone doesn't mean that I can not work and fulfil my professional obligation with them as part of the team. And if I am in a position of authority over them unless they are acting in a dangerous manner which can be demonstrated as being done I have no right to treat them differently in the course of work than another. That would by definition be bullying & harassing. On the personal side I do not have any responsibility or duty to engage with them on a personal level, and if they can not handle that it is not my issue, and vice versa.

in this case (as shown by the lack of response with the lewd text message/s) she was able and willing to keep things on the professional level, he and subsequently his spouse were not.
one thing this case has shown other employers is a way to bully people legally for sexual stimulous.
I can not remember who said it, but yes if someone turns down advances they can be fired for being too attractive.
That's certainly in the picture, and I have heard of cases where I would have arrived at the same opinion. But here the 2 said:
Melissa Nelson, who worked for dentist James Knight for more than 10 years and had never flirted with him, according to the testimony of both parties
Yes she never flirted with him.

but I would also say this has opened the door to bullying in general, not just sexual.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Thank you, Cittasanto.

To all...

who (of the 3) can you identy with the easiest?

Why is that so?

Thank you.
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

identify.
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

Annapurna wrote:
Modus.Ponens wrote:Anna,

We're so far away in what concerns this subject, that it's best not even discuss it.
If that's what you prefer I can respect this, no problem, maybe it is wise then to talk some other time where we find ourselves on terrain that is more agreeable for the 2 of us. :anjali:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your kindness.

(We'd be in trouble if you and I were married and could not talk something over, it just occured to me, but then, we probably wouldn't feel attracted to each other before it even gets this far.... :jumping: :tongue:

But who knows. I am stubborn too. My word is law!!! :rofl:

Only kidding.... :hug:

Anna
Oh, I'm a very atractive man! Look at my uniform!

'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Annapurna wrote: To all...
who (of the 3) can you identify with the easiest?
Why is that so?
None of the above.
My wife and I employ men and women and some have been very attractive.
I have never pursued any of the women and she hasn't pursued any of the men.
At various times she has laughed and joked with some of them and I am not jealous.
I have never been fired for being too sexy. :embarassed: :( :lol:

So, I guess that makes me an objective observer?
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

I don't know you very well, David.

It seems you are happily married. If you are a highly evolved man, surely your compassion expands to all three of them, seeing their weaknesses with understanding and loving kindness, -understanding they are all suffering.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Modus.Ponens wrote: Oh, I'm a very atractive man! Look at my uniform!

so a bucket on your head means attractive does it?!
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Ben

Post by Ben »

Well, a bucket on Stallone's head made him much more attractive.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Here is another article that brings more information:

http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... GE&cad=rja" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

corrine wrote: If this were my spouse, I would be very worried because this behavior means my spouse is immature and unfeeling and cannot control himself. What a horrible person to be married to.

All of us have cravings. We do not need to act on these cravings. We need to see them as the negative emotions that they are, put them in their place and go about our business. This failing is entirely the employers. Based on this logic, all attractive people should probably be maimed to avoid their being a temptation to others.

I cannot understand this decision except that it took place in the midwest where all sorts of idiotic, backward ideas are still tolerated. Thankfully, I do not live there.

corrine :shrug:
If this were my spouse, I would be very worried because this behavior means my spouse is immature and unfeeling and cannot control himself. What a horrible person to be married to.
I agree! I'd be worried too!

It's interesting you call it "immature", though, when a man's (or woman's ) sexdrive is aroused.
It's just that, an instinct....inbuilt... a biological default mode in healthy individuals. Can happen to anybody...with a doctor's degree too...

I think this drive can be controlled, by most, but if it takes constant effort, I personally would try to distance myself from a constant temptation. Simply because then I can follow my better insight with less risks that I fail. After all, I am human, not perfect...is that immature?

isn't it wise, to know one's limits...?

We all have our set of likes.....for instance, I wouldn't want to live anywhere in the USA, where anybody can own a gun and go on a bloody rampage and people still defend having weapons...

I find that hard to understand...
Annapurna

Post by Annapurna »

Oh, sorry, Corrine, I forgot to add why I'd be worried:

I'd have serious doubts if he loves me at all. Or if we are compatible. Of course he could be so immature, that he'd be with someone he doesn't love, just to have someone, rather than noone.

That's perhaps what you meant...or would you like to explain this some further? I'm really curious to hear youtr thoughts on this..