U.S. Marines studying how meditation could make them tougher

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Kusala

U.S. Marines studying how meditation could make them tougher

Post by Kusala »

Hello Dhamma friends. What do you make of this?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/u-s-marines ... -1.1121189" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"He, the Blessed One, is indeed the Noble Lord, the Perfectly Enlightened One;
He is impeccable in conduct and understanding, the Serene One, the Knower of the Worlds;
He trains perfectly those who wish to be trained; he is Teacher of gods and men; he is Awake and Holy. "

--------------------------------------------
"The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One,
Apparent here and now, timeless, encouraging investigation,
Leading to liberation, to be experienced individually by the wise. "
Khalil Bodhi

Re: U.S. Marines studying how meditation could make them tougher

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Sounds like miccha-samadhi to me... :shrug:
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
danieLion

Post by danieLion »

Mindful harm? Ludicrous.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

Meditation to make them more efficient at being soldiers? I agree with Khalil. It may be meditation , but with impure motives, it is not Samma -Samadhi and does not lead to Panna.
alan

Post by alan »

The title is incorrect. They are trying to find ways to reduce stress, in order to produce more effective soldiers.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

alan wrote:The title is incorrect. They are trying to find ways to reduce stress, in order to produce more effective soldiers.
Absolutely correct.
Will it work? Probably.
Could they use Buddhist-derived techniques to make the guys better soldiers instead? Probably. Look at the samurai tradition, or at Shaolin.

Is any of this going to lead Marines to enlightenment? Not very likely at all.

:coffee:
Kim
yawares

Post by yawares »

alan wrote:The title is incorrect. They are trying to find ways to reduce stress, in order to produce more effective soldiers.
Dear Alan,

You're very smart to point out the key issue. My daughter always emails me how meditation help her to be calm during complicate surgeries..to be peaceful while station in foreign countries for a long time..to deal with all her patients/colleagues.

BUT..MY DAUGHTER NOT ONLY PRACTICE MEDITATION..SHE ALSO OBSERVES 5 PRECEPTS AND READ BUDDHA'S VERSES/UDANAS/ITIVUTAKAS/DHAMMAPADA STORIES....she said that "not to lie" is the hardest precept to keep...sometimes she has to say "white lies' just to make people not mad/upset/worry...or lie to make people happy.

:anjali: Meditation will work well with people who have silas/panna :anjali:

I think I should mail her a beautiful gemstone-mala to count Buddho 1...Buddho 2....right now she does breath-in/breath out technique that her dad taught her to do :heart:

yawares :heart:
Last edited by yawares on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Sounds like a positive development. I think they are likely to notice some (to them) deleterious side effects long term, i.e increased compassion for their enemies and increased capacity for independent thinking.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
yawares

Post by yawares »

m0rl0ck wrote:Sounds like a positive development. I think they are likely to notice some (to them) deleterious side effects long term, i.e increased compassion for their enemies and increased capacity for independent thinking.
Dear "m0rl0ck",

I think USA is the best country in term of "compassion"...everywhere my daughter stationed..she told me about how her doctors-team took care of wounded local people in Afghanistan especially children who played near bomb-mine-field...did physical exams for more than 600 children in Philippines/giving medicines(free)...took care of Haitian victims(earthquake) in Haiti...YES! YES! USA ALWAYS THERE TO HELP PEOPLE IN TROUBLE :twothumbsup: :anjali:

I hope USA military not just provide 'how to do meditation' ...because MEDITATION will work well with people who have silas/panna !!!!
yawares :anjali:
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Dont beleive the propaganda. We are bankrupting the planet. The next time we need oil it may be your turn.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
yawares

Post by yawares »

m0rl0ck wrote:Dont beleive the propaganda. We are bankrupting the planet. The next time we need oil it may be your turn.
Dear "m0rl0ck",

I love USA and very proud that my daughter works for the US Air Force..we're proud to be Americans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXLQ2RPLO78" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yawares :anjali: :heart:
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

Sorry, didnt know you were natives. Love your country, fear your government.
alan

Post by alan »

No need to fear. Obama is back, and better than ever. We're learning. Eventually, America will be the country it should be.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

alan wrote:No need to fear. Obama is back, and better than ever. We're learning. Eventually, America will be the country it should be.
:toast:
I wonder how many Americans realise that the rest of the world is pathetically grateful that you guys re-elected him?

:namaste:
Kim
yawares

Post by yawares »

alan wrote:No need to fear. Obama is back, and better than ever. We're learning. Eventually, America will be the country it should be.
Dear Alan,

For you :anjali: : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2rDCnr0eYc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:heart: yawares/tidathep :heart: