Botswana -- a hotbed of Buddhist activity?

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
DNS
Site Admin

Botswana -- a hotbed of Buddhist activity?

Post by DNS »

I was browsing over at alexa.com the other day (the site that measures website rankings) and found that Accesstoinsight.org is doing very well, consistently ranking around #100,000 out of all websites on the web. But this was kind of surprising:

About 42% of all their traffic is from Botswana.

Access to insight is ranked #35 in the country of Botswana. That means that only 34 websites have a higher ranking / more hits, in all of Botswana.

According to Wikipedia, most are Christian, followed by indigenous religions, Islam, and Hinduism, with no mention of Buddhism. So what is going on there? Is it a glitch at alexa.com ? Or is there something about Botswana that Wikipedia missed?

DNS
Site Admin

Re: Botswana -- a hotbed of Buddhist activity?

Post by DNS »

I heard from the owner/webmaster of Access to Insight and he thinks it could be just a glitch in the Alexa system. But he also said that there could be something about Botswana that has not caught the eye of the rest of the world yet.

I suppose it could be true. For example, I know that in the U.A.E. about 5% of the population is Buddhist. At first you might wonder, how could an Arab nation, predominantly Muslim be 5% Buddhist?? But then on further examination, the country has been developing very fast and using mostly Sri Lankan labor for the construction. And there you have the 5%. :tongue:
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

Maybe the only people with internet access in Botswana are Buddhists? Statistics are fun :)
Jechbi

Post by Jechbi »

Rain soddens what is kept wrapped up,
But never soddens what is open;
Uncover, then, what is concealed,
Lest it be soddened by the rain.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

An excellent movie (Gods must be crazy) and that is right it takes place in what is known as Botswana.

A "gift" from the gods or is it a gift from the hungry ghosts? :tongue: