An incredible dream!

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

An incredible dream!

Postby Individual » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:56 pm

So, I'm sleeping in late... As often happens when I sleep in late, I drift in and out of sleep a few times. My dog comes into my room to lay down with me and I think about how she's sleeping so much, and so I think, "I will enter an even deeper sleep, the 7th stage of sleep." Not sure where that number seven came from or its significance...

And so, it was one of the rare occasions where I had the opportunity to attempt to dream lucidly. Unlike normal, I didn't see any pictures in my dream, except for a few brief thoughts about eating a hamburger from Wendy's in my fridge. No, this dream was strictly audio: Amazing classical music... that I'd never heard before, though it combined styles and techniques of classical music I had heard before. I've had this experience a bunch of times before, where melodies or even entire songs will pop into my head, which is why I see such creativity as a visitation or possession by some kind of spirit, with no other way to really explain it. Even if inaccurate, it's a useful enough analogy for the experience.

Anyway, the music played on and on, and it was amazing. I tried to study it, what instruments were playing, the melody, etc., so that I could get something very basic I could use to put together when I was awake, as a fuel for creativity when actually making music physically. Then my dog suddenly leaped up out of bed, waking me up, and I could not longer remember even a single portion of the song!

When I woke up, I was really hungry. I went downstairs and asked my mom what food we had. She had we had... a Wendy's hamburger in the fridge! She got it yesterday for herself, didn't tell me, and hid it in the bottom of the fridge, so I didn't know about it.

Am I psychic? :D I've had more than a few experiences like this in the past. Although psychic ability in Buddhism is said to be reserved for those with high meditative attainments, reaching some really high jhana -- despite that, the saying seems to hold true: "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then."

The night before, I dreamt that I was the adopted child of a Chinese family, and I wasn't comfortable with the fact that I looked so different from my family.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Return to Lounge