Two fascinating movies about Quantum Physics

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
manas

Two fascinating movies about Quantum Physics

Post by manas »

[EDIT: Parts 1 and 2 are, imo, excellent and well researched. But in part three, the narrator departs from relating what is mostly the views of reputable physicists and neuroscientists, and goes off on his own tangent, trying to posit, afaics, a kind of Determinism. So, now that I have watched part 3, I am not quite so enthused about the movies as a whole, because I sense a disturbing agenda unfolding in the third. I don't recommend Part 3 on.]

It is actually a series of movies, and available on YouTube. It is still sinking in for me; there is much to digest. I suggest giving it a chance, as there is information here that will astound you. :shock: And it's all based on science, on scientific experiments that have been repeated and verified by reputable scientists:

:anjali:
Last edited by manas on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Cittasanto

Re: The most amazing movie I have ever seen!

Post by Cittasanto »

manas wrote:It is actually a series of movies, and available on YouTube. It is still sinking in for me; there is much to digest. I suggest giving it a chance, as there is information here that will astound you. :shock: And it's all based on science, on scientific experiments that have been repeated and verified by reputable scientists:

Your title is not describing the monty python movies and or hitchhikers guide to the universe there fore it is false advertising!

I recently got myself magazine with this as a cover story but am yet to read it.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
manas

Post by manas »

Cittasanto wrote:...
Your title is not describing the monty python movies and or hitchhikers guide to the universe there fore it is false advertising!

I recently got myself magazine with this as a cover story but am yet to read it.
It actually is mind blowing, and I hope a few people give it a chance. It does not contradict Buddhist tenets in any way. In fact some of the things they say - like that particles constantly 'pop in and out of existence' - seem to confirm some of the things the Buddha already knew millennia ago. Things are not what they seem!

As for the Hitch hikers' guide, thanks for reminding me. I ought to get a hold of a copy and introduce the kids to it. Was that the one with a super computer named, 'Deep Thought'? (It's been a while...)
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
iforgotmyname

Post by iforgotmyname »

Manas, agreed - this is some good stuff. I knew about the observer problem but didn't know the double slit experiment in such detail. Awesome video - and best part is cutting edge science doesn't require faith, yet it inspires you by making you rethink what you thought you knew! I love this stuff!
manas

Post by manas »

iforgotmyname wrote:Manas, agreed - this is some good stuff. I knew about the observer problem but didn't know the double slit experiment in such detail. Awesome video - and best part is cutting edge science doesn't require faith, yet it inspires you by making you rethink what you thought you knew! I love this stuff!
Glad you like it also. I feel surprised that this astounding, verifiable knowledge is not more widely known or discussed, outside of scientific circles. If more people knew about it, I think it would change what many people value in their lives, and thus their actions, for the better.
manas

Re: Two fascinating movies about Quantum Physics

Post by manas »

Ugh. I just watched the third movie. The narrator was heading off into his own tangent. If I could sum up why I find it irritating, it is this notion: "the Infinite I conceives reality, the brain receives reality, and the physical mind perceives reality." It actually gets even worse than that. He says "stop trying to do Higher Self's job. You are not in control; your job is to respond to whatever experiences and situations that Higher self creates for you" and so on. He dismisses the idea that we need to improve ourselves. He seems to be espousing a kind of Determinism. So in the end, a tad disappointing!

Still respect the many eloquent physicists in the first two vids, though.

iforgotmyname

Post by iforgotmyname »

Good to know - I've only seen the first part. He did seem a little determined to push the whole holographic universe theory onto us.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

I think it's a clue that Davis doesn't tell us anything about himself...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9538 ... ree-to-fly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this the same Steven Davis who wrote the possibly more interesting:
Hammer of the Gods, the Led Zeppelin Saga ?
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5865 ... f_the_Gods" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Actually there seem to be at least two different authors named Stephen Davis.
Here's the one to do with this thread:
http://www.amazon.com/Stephen-Davis/e/B ... _pel_pop_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems like a nice guy, but not someone I'd take seriously as a commentator on modern physics...

Mike
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

I dont know what i think- but no doubt the expirements of the double slit (which i knew of) and the before hapening brain response - are mind blowing

i watched part 1-2 and allmost all of three - i guess i dont want to get in to this cause i fear it might disturb my progress by making me have much more thoughts - especially doubts about my meditiation - but still i might have read about it or watched it in a whole but i allready wasted to much time on this i can spare an hour or two but not 6 -

i think its dangoureus for people who get convinced easily i myself am not sure exactly where it contradicts buddhism

about his biography see here : http://butterfliesfree.com/?page_id=102" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this line caught my attention :

~ Commodore’s Staff Aide to L. Ron Hubbard in Scientology, and founder and first president of the World Institute of Scientology Enterprises (WISE).

But im not judging only on that (if he left Scientology)- just another reason to doubt it all and if your practice of buddhist meditation is weak and you have lots of thoughts allready and have a concentration problem and doubt about buddhism maybe its best not watch it

the double slit expiremint might help you remove doubt by showing you there might be more to life :

Dr Quantum explains the Double slit experiment -
Last edited by purple planet on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

manas wrote:

It actually is mind blowing, and I hope a few people give it a chance. It does not contradict Buddhist tenets in any way. In fact some of the things they say - like that particles constantly 'pop in and out of existence' - seem to confirm some of the things the Buddha already knew millennia ago. Things are not what they seem!

As for the Hitch hikers' guide, thanks for reminding me. I ought to get a hold of a copy and introduce the kids to it. Was that the one with a super computer named, 'Deep Thought'? (It's been a while...)
and just notice the name mistake Image

but how do you see the particles supporting/confirming Buddhist teachings?
I do enjoy science, and generally get magazines for my morning coffee based on a cover story I think may be relevant to Buddhism in some way.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
manas

Post by manas »

but how do you see the particles supporting/confirming Buddhist teachings?
I do enjoy science, and generally get magazines for my morning coffee based on a cover story I think may be relevant to Buddhism in some way.
I don't have a clear enough grasp of either Quantum Physics, or the Dhamma, to explain that properly as yet. I have a kind of hunch though. It is to do with the psychic powers that the Buddha and some advanced disciples of his were (or are) able to enact. If we see the mind and matter as two utterly different entites, with no link as it were, then it is hard to imagine how anyone could actually 'appear and vanish' or 'walk though walls' etc. But according to some physicists, mind and matter are related much more closely than we think. Even the act of observing quantum entites, changes them from behaving like waves, to behaving like particles. Observation changes 'reality'...Let's imagine that, unlike ordinary beings, the Buddha was able to actually see the world as waves, rather than only as particles. He could then manipulate this 'stuff' as he wished, because he was working with the waves before they had changed into particles, you know what I mean? Like he was that one step ahead, and so instead of the particles popping into existence according to kamma etc, he was able to control how or in what shape, texture or form the wave-soup was to coalesce into particle form.

lol I got to stop or my brain will melt!!! :shock: I'm not a physicist...this is just speculation here

metta :anjali:
manas

Post by manas »

purple planet wrote:I dont know what i think- but no doubt the expirements of the double slit (which i knew of) and the before hapening brain response - are mind blowing

i watched part 1-2 and allmost all of three - i guess i dont want to get in to this cause i fear it might disturb my progress by making me have much more thoughts - especially doubts about my meditiation - but still i might have read about it or watched it in a whole but i allready wasted to much time on this i can spare an hour or two but not 6 -

i think its dangoureus for people who get convinced easily i myself am not sure exactly where it contradicts buddhism

about his biography see here : http://butterfliesfree.com/?page_id=102" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this line caught my attention :

~ Commodore’s Staff Aide to L. Ron Hubbard in Scientology, and founder and first president of the World Institute of Scientology Enterprises (WISE).

But im not judging only on that (if he left Scientology)- just another reason to doubt it all and if your practice of buddhist meditation is weak and you have lots of thoughts allready and have a concentration problem and doubt about buddhism maybe its best not watch it

the double slit expiremint might help you remove doubt by showing you there might be more to life :

Dr Quantum explains the Double slit experiment -
Purple Planet, I totally agree...do not watch from part three on (I did write as much above already). It is indeed dangerous to lead people on with science initially, and when they trust you a little bit, they start this sort of theistic-fatalistic-determinism later on.
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

manas wrote:I don't have a clear enough grasp of either Quantum Physics, or the Dhamma, to explain that properly as yet. I have a kind of hunch though.
I do like hunches
It is to do with the psychic powers that the Buddha and some advanced disciples of his were (or are) able to enact. If we see the mind and matter as two utterly different entites, with no link as it were, then it is hard to imagine how anyone could actually 'appear and vanish' or 'walk though walls' etc. But according to some physicists, mind and matter are related much more closely than we think. Even the act of observing quantum entites, changes them from behaving like waves, to behaving like particles. Observation changes 'reality'...Let's imagine that, unlike ordinary beings, the Buddha was able to actually see the world as waves, rather than only as particles. He could then manipulate this 'stuff' as he wished, because he was working with the waves before they had changed into particles, you know what I mean? Like he was that one step ahead, and so instead of the particles popping into existence according to kamma etc, he was able to control how or in what shape, texture or form the wave-soup was to coalesce into particle form.

lol I got to stop or my brain will melt!!! :shock: I'm not a physicist...this is just speculation here

metta :anjali:
:) be careful about the speculation. and maybe examine your thinking to see if it aims in the right direction (or just round in circles) :)

John Stuart Mill
manas

Post by manas »

:) be careful about the speculation. and maybe examine your thinking to see if it aims in the right direction (or just round in circles) :)
Well...with regards to my speculation just above - does it aim at relinquishment, cessation, Unbinding...? Not really... :mrgreen:

I probably ought to re focus on the Path with more ardour. :meditate:

thanks for the admonishment