"OM" Symbol: Any Meaning for Theravada?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

"OM" Symbol: Any Meaning for Theravada?

Postby AdvaitaJ » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:01 am

Greetings all,

So what significance, if any, does the "om" ( )symbol have for Theravada Buddhists? Wikipedia is ambiguous on the specifics. I've seen two cars in my area in Michigan with "om" window stickers, one is huge and covers most of the rear window.

Regards: AdvaitaJ
The birds have vanished down the sky. Now the last cloud drains away.
We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.
Li Bai
AdvaitaJ

Re: "OM" Symbol: Any Meaning for Theravada?

Postby jcsuperstar » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:59 am

the symbol? none ,at least ive never seen it in a temple or art. though there is a line in a pali chant about om i'll try to find it later
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Re: "OM" Symbol: Any Meaning for Theravada?

Postby thornbush » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:27 am

Examples of how OM is used in Thai Buddhist kathas:
http://www.mir.com.my/leofoo/Thai-amule ... /index.htm
Wat Rakhang amulets by Somdej Phra Buddhacharn Toh
Take the amulet in both your hands and place over your head and think of Somdej Phra Buddhacharn Toh ;and then recite the following sacred spell.

Namo Tussa Pakavato Arahato Samma Sam Buddhussa

Ohm Masri Masri Prohmrangsi Namatecho Maha Samano Maha Punyo Mahalapo Mahayaso Sappasotathi Pawantu-mae
Puttakamo Lapae Puttung TanaKamo Lapae Taung Atti Kayae Kaya Yayah Devanung Piya Tung Suttava
(respect for the magic power that would help call upon)
Itipiso Pakava Yamarachano Tao Vessuvanno Moranung Sukung Arahung Sukato Namo Buddha Ya
(respected for the magic power that would protect the worshipper from dangers)

http://saengthai.org/?cat=1
Katha Jivaka Komarabhacca

Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammasambudhassa (x3)

Om Namo Shivago Sirasa Ahang Karuniko Sapasatanang Osatha Tipa-Mantang Papaso Suriya-Jantang. Gomalapato Paka-Sesi Wantami Bantito Sumethasso Arokha Sumana-Homi. (3 times)

Piyo-Theva Manussanang Piyo-Bhrama Namuttamo Piyo Nakha Supanayang Prijinsrinang Nama-Mihang Namo Budh Dha Ya Navon-Navien Nasatit-Nasatien Ehi-Mama Navien-Nawe Napi-Tang-Vien Navien-Mahako Ehi-Mama Piyang-Mama Namo Budh Dha Ya (1 time)

Na-A Na-Wa Lokha Payati Vina-Shanti. (3 times)

Of course, I would agree that in classical and orthodox Theravada Buddhism, the OM is never utilised. I would think that this may be a carry forward of Thai Buddhism's influence from popular Hinduism and their distant history with Mahayana Buddhism.
thornbush

Return to Lounge