YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Can eating insects save the world? - Dhamma Wheel

Can eating insects save the world?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Coyote

Can eating insects save the world?

Postby Coyote » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:39 pm

Just watching this bbc documentary http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01599yk

I had no idea bug-eating was so popular in these Buddhist countries - Thailand, Cambodia ect.
Anyone had any experience eating insects? For the Thais/those been to Thailand, is it really commonly though of as good food? It is quite hard to believe.

Edit: They go to a monastery near the end and offer some ant dishes to the monks to "atone for the sin of being an ant-farmer".
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26

manas

Re: Can eating insects save the world?

Postby manas » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:46 pm

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

Coyote

Postby Coyote » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:03 pm

"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:03 pm

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

manas

Postby manas » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:30 pm

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

Coyote

Postby Coyote » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:34 pm

There's also a really fun documentary on ants that the bbc made called "planet ant", where they transport a colony of ants into a lab like environment to observe them. Though it seems quite cruel I don't think the ants noticed. It's amazing what these little creatures can do.
Iti 26

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:35 pm

I love me some crickets. The first time I had some, I was with my sister and we went into a candy store where they were selling a package that had two each of cooked crickets, mealworms, chocolate covered mealworms, and chocolate covered crickets. I didn't particularly care for the mealworms but loved the crickets.

A couple years ago, I bought 5 dozen crickets from the pet store and stir fried them in olive oil and salt. It was wonderful. Kinda looker popcorn. If like to try tarantulas some day. They are supposed to be like crab, which incidentally I'd pretty much a bug imo along with shrimp and lobster and crayfish.

manas

Postby manas » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:44 pm

Last edited by manas on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coyote

Postby Coyote » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:49 pm

Iti 26

manas

Postby manas » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:58 pm

Last edited by manas on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Coyote

Postby Coyote » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:04 am

Iti 26

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:18 am

Shrimp is nothing. If you eat squid or cuttlefish you can eat anything. Think about it - bug eyed critters with translucent flesh, skin which change colour, tentacles with suckers , they swim backwards and secrete ink.

manas

Postby manas » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:47 am

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:41 am

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:54 am

Crickets kind of taste like popcorn. Its been a while but I think I the them in the freezer before cooking them. I'm not a vegetarian. I mostly eat fish and chicken but will eat about anything really. I'm not particularly concerned about the suffering of something killed in the name of food. I'm mostly concerned with human suffering and I'm not concerned with or believe in rebirth. I still believe Buddhism has a good place in my life.

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:57 am

I'm quite friendly with the spiders in my house and I wouldn't dream of deep-frying them. So I will stick with quorn fillets, which taste a bit like chicken actually.... :tongue:
"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:27 am

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

manas

Postby manas » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:20 pm

Mojo

Postby Mojo » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:32 pm

manas

Postby manas » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:18 pm

Return to “Lounge”