HAPPY ISHTAR (Easter)!!!

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

HAPPY ISHTAR (Easter)!!!

Postby Ben » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:41 pm

Leunig-Rabbits-30-Mar-600x400.jpg
Leunig-Rabbits-30-Mar-600x400.jpg (54.21 KiB) Viewed 225 times

by Michael Leunig, in The Age Sat 30th March, www.theage.com.au

Whatever you are doing this autumn/spring solstice, I wish you and your families good health and happiness.
with metta,

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Re: HAPPY ISHTAR (Easter)!!!

Postby tiltbillings » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:04 pm

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Ben » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:11 pm

Ah yes, the good ol' were-rabbit. Demon of my greyhounds' nightmares.
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia
e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby plwk » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:52 am

Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby manas » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:55 am

Oestre/Easter

Although the Christian festival of Easter celebrates the torture and death of Jesus on a cross and, especially, his alleged resurrection, and has links to the Jewish Passover, most people, including Christians, unknowingly celebrate its pagan influences, including the bunny, a symbol of fertility, and colored eggs, representing the sunlight of spring.

It took over 300 years before Christians established the date of Easter as the first Sunday after the full moon following the March Equinox at the First Council of Nicaea in 325 C.E. The pagan Easter, however, was celebrated long before Christianity (although the festival went by many names).

In the 8th century, Christian scholar Bede claimed in his book, De temporum ratione, (The Reckoning of Time) that Easter derived from the Saxon Eostre (a.k.a. Eastre). The ancient Saxons in Northern Europe worshiped the Goddess Oestre at the time of the Spring Equinox. The Goddess Easter represents the sunrise, spring-time and fertility, the renewal of life.

Pagan Anglo-Saxons made offerings of colored eggs to her at the Vernal Equinox. They placed them at graves especially, probably as a charm of rebirth. (Egyptians and Greeks were also known to place eggs at gravesites).

Only later did the Christians pilfer the name for themselves and graft their religion onto a pagan celebration.

http://www.nobeliefs.com/easter.htm

May all our friends in the Northern Hemisphere enjoy the return of Spring, now that the light has overcome the dark (days are now longer than nights again).

So yeah a happy Ishtar to y'all. (Oops I meant Easter. Wouldn't want to be Pagan now, would we?) :P

:anjali:
manas

Postby James the Giant » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:26 am

Yum yum, chocolate-marshmallow pagan fertility symbols!
Then,
saturated with joy,
you will put an end to suffering and stress.
SN 9.11
James the Giant

Postby Cittasanto » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:46 am

Shortly after the spring equinox it snowed here and many farm animals have died! my bird feeder was destroyed and even though it hasn't snowed in about 4days there is still snow in the fields, and my back garden. There were people stranded and helicopters were needed to take food to certain areas, and one woman was airlifted to hospital to give birth.

YAY for spring.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Ron-The-Elder » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:56 pm

by Cittasanto » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:46 am

Shortly after the spring equinox it snowed here and many farm animals have died! my bird feeder was destroyed and even though it hasn't snowed in about 4days there is still snow in the fields, and my back garden. There were people stranded and helicopters were needed to take food to certain areas, and one woman was airlifted to hospital to give birth.

YAY for spring.

Greetings, Cittasanto. Sorry to read about your animals and bird feeder.

We too have had considerable snow over the last few weeks, but this week has been grand. My wife and I have been walking with just light jackets on for the last few days. We have been enjoying the sun and the occassional cold breeze, which whips up over the lingering snow mounds in our yards and fields. For some reason the birds aren't too visible as yet, but you can hear them in concert early in the morning.

Hope things get better for you over the next few weeks. :coffee:
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
Ron-The-Elder

Return to Lounge