Something to consider before traveling Down Under....

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Something to consider before traveling Down Under....

Postby Dan74 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:04 pm

DROP BEARS TARGET PEOPLE with foreign accents more often than those who are Australian-born, according to new research.

By-products of the interaction between chemicals found in Vegemite and those found in human sweat repel drop bears,” Volker says. “Most Australians eat Vegemite at least once a day, so they permanently exude these chemicals through their skin and are thus protected.

http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/drop-bears-prefer-travellers-says-study.htm
_/|\_
Dan74

Re: Something to consider before traveling Down Under....

Postby pilgrim » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:12 pm

Racist bears... But I think such behaviour happens about once a year.
pilgrim

Postby Ben » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:13 pm

Thanks Dan.
Its good to be reminded of this, especially on the eve of another field trip into the wilderness. However, I think I should be right as I will be spending most of my time in the treeless alpine heathland around Cradle.
kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Dan74 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:33 pm

Ben wrote:Thanks Dan.
Its good to be reminded of this, especially on the eve of another field trip into the wilderness. However, I think I should be right as I will be spending most of my time in the treeless alpine heathland around Cradle.
kind regards,

Ben

Just in case, stock up on vegemite before you go, Ben.
_/|\_
Dan74

Postby BlackBird » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:56 pm

Hahaha

Thylarctos plummetus

Koalas are pretty cute.

ʕ·͡ᴥ·ʔ
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby Ben » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:41 pm

Dan74 wrote:
Ben wrote:Thanks Dan.
kind regards,

Ben

Just in case, stock up on vegemite before you go, Ben.

Thanks Dan. The vegemite has been packed.
kind regards,

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Dan74 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:50 pm

We just got back from Yackandandah visiting friends. No drop bear casualties thankfully, but I did come back green. With envy that is, for the majestic countryside that those folks live with. As an avid nature and landscape photographer there is nothing that compares in town to the Alpine country. Probably similar in Tassie. I suspect that if I go I would not want to come back.

You are lucky to be living is such a place...
Last edited by Dan74 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_/|\_
Dan74

Postby Ben » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:00 pm

Dan74 wrote:We just got back from Yackandandah visiting friends. No drop bear casualties thankfully, but I did come back green. With envy that is, for the majestic countryside that those folks live with. As an avid nature and landscape photographer there is nothing that compares in town to the Alpine country. Probably similar in Tassie. I suspect that if I go I would not want to come back.

You should come regardless, Dan.
This is one of the best times of year to visit the Tasmanian alpine areas with Nothofagus gunnii (Australia's only deciduous plant) changing colour. And the light atm is incredible. I have not seen fagus it except in books so I am excited to go tomorrow. Plus, we are spending three days with a renowned botanist identifying many of the endemic flora in the Cradle Mountain National Park.
Should be fun.
kind regards,

Ben

- Hereclitus

Ben
Site Admin

Postby Buckwheat » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:19 pm

Wow, Ben. I am shocked that Australia has only one deciduous plant.

Have a great time!
Sotthī hontu nirantaraṃ - May you forever be well.
Buckwheat

Postby Dan74 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:55 am

Buckwheat wrote:Wow, Ben. I am shocked that Australia has only one deciduous plant.

Have a great time!

Did you get to see it, Ben?

Yes, next destination is likely to be Tassie.

To be honest, I didn't know this fact, but there are sure plenty of introduced deciduous trees around, though not as many as before due to water shortages (they need to be watered).
_/|\_
Dan74

Return to Lounge