Need a short youtube intro to breath meditation

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Mojo

Need a short youtube intro to breath meditation

Post by Mojo »

Howdy all. I have a stressed out work acquaintance that I'd like to introduce to a basic breath meditation. I'm really looking for something short and sweet - something eyecatching but useful - nonsectarian. This person is online alot which is why I'm going the youtube route instead of a book.

This person's plate is overflowing.

Thanks,

Mojo
Mojo

Re: Need a short youtube intro to breath meditation

Post by Mojo »

Perhaps an intro to metta?
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

I would offer kaya contemplation: basically training to experience breathing as a whole-body event, and sustaining attention away from chains of thought. Then, talking with them about calming involvement with that has a good foundation, and in this way the first tetrad of anapanasati is introduced as a process of lucid awareness & letting go, rather than as a religious engagement or strictly seated endeavor.

I'm unaware of specific Youtube resources that align with this.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Mojo wrote:Howdy all. I have a stressed out work acquaintance that I'd like to introduce to a basic breath meditation. I'm really looking for something short and sweet - something eyecatching but useful - nonsectarian. This person is online alot which is why I'm going the youtube route instead of a book.

This person's plate is overflowing.

Thanks,

Mojo
How about number 5 (3.48 minutes) of Ajahn Jayasaro's Buddhist Meditation series on YouTube ?

Mojo wrote:Perhaps an intro to metta?
Number 7 in the series is a Metta instruction.

Coyote

Post by Coyote »

daverupa wrote:I would offer kaya contemplation: basically training to experience breathing as a whole-body event, and sustaining attention away from chains of thought. Then, talking with them about calming involvement with that has a good foundation, and in this way the first tetrad of anapanasati is introduced as a process of lucid awareness & letting go, rather than as a religious engagement or strictly seated endeavor.

That sounds a lot like Thanissaro Bhikkhu's meditation instructions. The guided meditation is 40 mins long though.
You could try his metta instructions, though it is not on youtube. http://dhammatalks.org/mp3_collections_ ... tml#guided

Or there is Ven. yuttadhammo's instructions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH2sEqrCza4 though it is not traditional breath meditation.

Metta
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Rasko

Post by Rasko »

Mojo wrote:Howdy all. I have a stressed out work acquaintance that I'd like to introduce to a basic breath meditation. I'm really looking for something short and sweet - something eyecatching but useful - nonsectarian. This person is online alot which is why I'm going the youtube route instead of a book.

"Professor Mark Williams offers a brief guided meditation"
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Coyote wrote:
daverupa wrote:I would offer kaya contemplation: basically training to experience breathing as a whole-body event, and sustaining attention away from chains of thought. Then, talking with them about calming involvement with that has a good foundation, and in this way the first tetrad of anapanasati is introduced as a process of lucid awareness & letting go, rather than as a religious engagement or strictly seated endeavor.

That sounds a lot like Thanissaro Bhikkhu's meditation instructions. The guided meditation is 40 mins long though.
You could try his metta instructions, though it is not on youtube. http://dhammatalks.org/mp3_collections_ ... tml#guided

Or there is Ven. yuttadhammo's instructions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH2sEqrCza4 though it is not traditional breath meditation.

Metta
Thank you and everyone else for your suggestions. I sent her Thanisarro's 40 min guided meditation from this link. I like his clear concise instructions as well as his diction. His instructions pass on the Buddha's wisdom without sounding Buddhist. Not that there is a problem with sounding Buddhist, but I'm interested in helping all those that I can regardless of their faith and the last thing I want is for someone to tune out good advice just because it sounds preachy or contrary to their beliefs.