Gay Marriage - Yay or Nay?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Gay Marriage - Yay or Nay?

Postby clw_uk » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:31 am

Just interested what members here thing about gay marriage?

A good thing? A bad thing?

My opinion is its a progressive step
Open your mind and see, open your mind and rise. Shine the light of wisdom and see, don't wait till the end of time.
clw_uk

Re: Gay Marriage - Yay or Nay?

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:34 am

It is a very good thing.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.
"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Ben » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:03 am

I am hopeful that we will have the Marriage Act in Australia amended in the near future so as it becomes inclusive of same-sex unions.
"Only those who take to meditation with good intentions can be assured of success. With the development of the purity and the power of the mind backed by the insight into the ultimate truth of nature, one might be able to do a lot of things in the right direction for the benefit of mankind."

Sayagyi U Ba Khin

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief
UNHCR Syria Emergency Relief AppealTyphoon Haiyan Relief AppealKiva: (person to person micro-finance)

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby clw_uk » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:05 am

Does the Australian marriage act allow gay couples to be wed in religious institutions?

I know zero about it
Open your mind and see, open your mind and rise. Shine the light of wisdom and see, don't wait till the end of time.
clw_uk

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:13 am

Greetings,

clw_uk wrote:Does the Australian marriage act allow gay couples to be wed in religious institutions?

I know zero about it

No.. and until a couple of days ago, both of the leaders of the two major parties were against marriage equality, but now that Kevin Rudd has taken over the Prime Ministerial role from Julia Gillard, that has changed...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nationa ... 6671663860

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:20 am

clw_uk wrote:Does the Australian marriage act allow gay couples to be wed in religious institutions?

I know zero about it

The Marriage Act doesn't cover religious institutions. One can get married as part of a religious or non-religious ceremony. My wife and I were married by a civil marriage celebrant and it was not performed in a church. What the Marriage Act does is recognize marriage as a legal contract between a man and a woman under the jurisdiction of the Commonwealth of Australia. The current definition of marriage in the Marriage Act is a union between a man and a woman. There has been quite a great deal of lobbying to get the past Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, to champion an ammendment to the Act that includes a re-definition of Marriage to make it more inclusive of same sex unions. One of the promises that "Resurection" Kevin Rudd has made is that if the Labor Party are returned in the forthcoming general elections in September, he will push through an amendment to the Act, enacting same-sex marriage.
However, Kevin Rudd is a cunning, duplicitous and cynical politician and I personally do not trust him to keep to his word on this policy matter or any other.
kind regards,

Ben
"Only those who take to meditation with good intentions can be assured of success. With the development of the purity and the power of the mind backed by the insight into the ultimate truth of nature, one might be able to do a lot of things in the right direction for the benefit of mankind."

Sayagyi U Ba Khin

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief
UNHCR Syria Emergency Relief AppealTyphoon Haiyan Relief AppealKiva: (person to person micro-finance)

Ben
Site Admin

Postby clw_uk » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:34 am

The Marriage Act doesn't cover religious institutions. One can get married as part of a religious or non-religious ceremony.

I'm confuse, so can a man marry a man in a liberal synagogue in Australia or not?
clw_uk

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:45 am

Greetings,

A man can marry a man nowhere in Australia..... yet.

Metta,
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby Ben » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:50 am

Hi Retro and Craig,

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

A man can marry a man nowhere in Australia..... yet.

Metta,

That is right. Same-sex marriage is not yet enacted in Australia.
It needs to be made law before anyone (whether a civil marriage celebrant or liberal cleric) can marry two people of the same sex.
kind regards,

Ben

Sayagyi U Ba Khin

Ben
Site Admin

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:53 am

It did happen recently in New Zealand: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politic ... rd-reading

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby clw_uk » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:21 am

Leading on from my original post

I've never understood why gay marriage hasnt been recognised sooner in the 200,000 odd years that humans have been around for, I kind of understand where It came from in the countries where the Abarhamic religions dominate, since their religious text preach against. However I've never understood why in the countries where Buddhism is the dominate religion they never allowed same sex marriage, seeing as Buddadhamma doesnt preach against it.

Strange :thinking:
clw_uk

Postby BlackBird » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:47 am

No problems with Gay Marriage at all. And as per Mike's post above, I was very happy when the Gay Marriage bill passed through my parliament a few months ago. In a few months time Gay and Lesbian couples will finally be able to marry. It's about time this world accepted that people's sexual orientation doesn't make them any less human.
Last edited by BlackBird on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"And so, because this Teaching is so different from what Westerners are accustomed to, they will try to adapt the Teaching to their own framework. What they need to learn to do is not to adapt the Teaching to their own point of view but to adapt their own point of view to the Teaching. This is called saddhá, or faith, and it means giving oneself to the Teaching even if the Teaching is contrary to one’s own preconceived notions of the way things are."- Ven Bodhesako

Nanavira Thera's teachings - An existential approach to the Dhamma | Ven. Bodhesako's essay on anicca
BlackBird

Postby Coyote » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:55 am

I think it is a good thing, and sad that my country has not yet made it legal.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Coyote

Postby clw_uk » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:16 am

Coyote wrote:I think it is a good thing, and sad that my country has not yet made it legal.

bora da

If you live in Wales it will be soon
clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:24 am

For me, as a gay man, the recognition of a committed homosexual relationship as being equal to that of a heterosexual one is so important and brings a sense of happiness. Even though in the uk it's mostly just a change of definition, it means gay men and women are no longer made to feel "different" and it will help a lot in changing peoples perception of gay relationships as something "different" to as normal as straight relationships, which they are.

if I ever got serious with a guy I would want it declared openly and for my relationship to be financially and legally recognised in the same way a heterosexual relationship is, with the same rights. I would want my husband protected and cared for If I was to die before him for peace of mind.

On a broader scale I want the people and institutions who agree with same sex marriage to be given the freedom to wed/perform the ceremony. I dont think its very fair if two women want to get married, and a quaker is willing to do the ceremony but they are banned form doing it by law but a man and woman can instead.

On a side note I've never understood the argument against gay marriage. I don't see how it undermines peoples personal religious convictions or their own marriage. For example I thought it was ridiculous when the last pope said gay marriage "undermined the future of humanity".
clw_uk

Postby BlackBird » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:27 am

Haha the future of humanity is at stake, by gawd, we better stop those gays from having civil rights or we're done for!
"And so, because this Teaching is so different from what Westerners are accustomed to, they will try to adapt the Teaching to their own framework. What they need to learn to do is not to adapt the Teaching to their own point of view but to adapt their own point of view to the Teaching. This is called saddhá, or faith, and it means giving oneself to the Teaching even if the Teaching is contrary to one’s own preconceived notions of the way things are."- Ven Bodhesako

Nanavira Thera's teachings - An existential approach to the Dhamma | Ven. Bodhesako's essay on anicca
BlackBird

Postby clw_uk » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:29 am

BlackBird wrote:Haha the future of humanity is at stake, by gawd, we better stop those gays from having civil rights or we're done for!

I know right lol

As if legalising gay marriage suddenly would make everyone gay ...

It's the same argument that thatcher used to stop schools teaching about homosexuality in schools
clw_uk

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:49 am

This is one of those things that is so obvious that it isn't (intelligently) debateable. The only reason for it not being legal is that people who are against it, are afraid of having homosexual inclinations. It's as simple as that.

Portugal has legalized gay marriage and "coadoption". No destruction of our country by god yet... :mrgreen:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
Modus.Ponens

Postby Aloka » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:51 am

clw_uk wrote:Just interested what members here thing about gay marriage?

A good thing? A bad thing?

My opinion is its a progressive step

Definately a good thing !

One of the most faithful,loving couples I ever knew were two gay men (sadly one of them died unexpectedly from a massive heart attack recently) and they should have been able to have had the same legalities as a heterosexual married couple.
Aloka

Postby Dan74 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:14 pm

Yay! I say, let them have the ball and chain, if they want it!

I've always wondered why conservatives don't embrace gay marriage, since marriage is a conservative institution and gay people are a large segment of society. More membership of the marriage club, more kudos!

On the other hand, I think celebrity marriage should be banned. Would save hectares of the Amazon and lots of greenhouse gas emissions.
_/|\_
Dan74

Next

Return to Lounge