Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terrorist attack?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Postby cooran » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:31 am

Sounds like BodhGaya has been considered as a target for a while:

Held terrorists had revealed plans to bomb BodhGaya
http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-new ... 88506.aspx


With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
User avatar
cooran
 
Posts: 7325
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:32 pm
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Postby Martin Po » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:38 am

Will wrote: Most Buddhists are not like the few Arhans who follow the Saw Sutta. They will defend themselves and even take preemptive actions against the Muslims.


If some one reject and goes against Buddha's teaching, so he is not a Buddha disciple.
Those who go fight and kill others, are not disciples, but the shame of Buddha's name.

IMO.
With karuna.
Martin Po
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:41 am

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Postby cooran » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:47 am

Man detained over BodhGaya bomb blasts
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-23222495

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
User avatar
cooran
 
Posts: 7325
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:32 pm
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Postby Coyote » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:43 am

This is really sad, and odd that it was little reported in the west. I really hope there is no retaliation and that things don't escalate because of this.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Coyote
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:42 pm
Location: Wales - UK

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:50 am

Coyote wrote:This is really sad, and odd that it was little reported in the west. I really hope there is no retaliation and that things don't escalate because of this.
Human nature being what it is, we can only hope.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
User avatar
tiltbillings
 
Posts: 19017
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am
Location: Turtle Island


Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Postby Will » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Martin Po wrote:
Will wrote: Most Buddhists are not like the few Arhans who follow the Saw Sutta. They will defend themselves and even take preemptive actions against the Muslims.


If some one reject and goes against Buddha's teaching, so he is not a Buddha disciple.
Those who go fight and kill others, are not disciples, but the shame of Buddha's name.

IMO.
With karuna.


Noble notion Martin - does it apply to Islamic terrorists who blow up innocents? Are they not Muslims? They certainly think they are good Muslims - they quote chapter and verse from the Koran & the Hadith in support of their Jihad.

Is the Dhamma a purely pacifist religion?
This noble eightfold path is the ancient path traveled by all the Buddhas of eons past. Nagara Sutta
User avatar
Will
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:26 pm

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Postby Raksha » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:46 pm

Martin Po wrote:If some one reject and goes against Buddha's teaching, so he is not a Buddha disciple.
Those who go fight and kill others, are not disciples, but the shame of Buddha's name.

It is not for you to say who is or is not a Buddhist. Shaolin monks not Buddhist? Mongolia not Buddhist? Gurkhas not Buddhist? I'm sick of Westerners in their 'cosy Californian studios' passing judgement on matters about which they know absolutely nothing.
The same goes for Blackbird's comments about Wirathu, describing him as 'fascist' and a 'nazi'. Have you been to Rakhine state Blackbird, or met Wirathu, have you even read anything written by him? I have yet to read a single Western media report that correctly portrays Rohingya as armed separatists funded by Saudi Arabia. Wirathu did not describe himself as 'Bin Laden' nor have monks led mobs against Muslims, it is simply Arakanese attacking Bangladeshi land-grabbers.
Raksha
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:30 pm

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Postby Sekha » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:02 pm

Will wrote:Is the Dhamma a purely pacifist religion?

As far as the teaching of the Buddha is concerned, absolutely. There is no question about it.
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org
User avatar
Sekha
 
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:32 am
Location: French Guiana

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Postby Martin Po » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:34 pm

Will wrote:
Noble notion Martin - does it apply to Islamic terrorists who blow up innocents? Are they not Muslims? They certainly think they are good Muslims - they quote chapter and verse from the Koran & the Hadith in support of their Jihad.

Is the Dhamma a purely pacifist religion?


If some buddhists are afraid to die, to disapear, to ceasse existance - they have to change their Teacher and Teaching and preache attachemen to self, attachement to soul, attachement to exstance, attachement to views, attachement to form, attachement to feeling, attachement to perception, attachemet to mental formations, attachement to consciousness.

Islamic terrorist (and other military organisations) suffer, and their suffering of existance, based on self-belief, push them to make such evil actions.
If you, and others, are not able to compassion, not able to detachement, not able to wisdom, but able to hate, able to self-preaching, able of killing, so they are traitors of Buddha, shame of Buddha, not worthy of gift, not worthy of hospitality, not worthy of offerings, worthy of respect.

It's a shame.
Last edited by Martin Po on Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Po
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:41 am

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Postby Martin Po » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:39 pm

Raksha wrote:
Martin Po wrote:If some one reject and goes against Buddha's teaching, so he is not a Buddha disciple.
Those who go fight and kill others, are not disciples, but the shame of Buddha's name.

It is not for you to say who is or is not a Buddhist. Shaolin monks not Buddhist? Mongolia not Buddhist? Gurkhas not Buddhist? I'm sick of Westerners in their 'cosy Californian studios' passing judgement on matters about which they know absolutely nothing.
The same goes for Blackbird's comments about Wirathu, describing him as 'fascist' and a 'nazi'. Have you been to Rakhine state Blackbird, or met Wirathu, have you even read anything written by him? I have yet to read a single Western media report that correctly portrays Rohingya as armed separatists funded by Saudi Arabia. Wirathu did not describe himself as 'Bin Laden' nor have monks led mobs against Muslims, it is simply Arakanese attacking Bangladeshi land-grabbers.


If there is 4 Noble Truth
If there is Noble Eightfold Path
If there is respect of Virtue (Patimokkha or 5-8-10 precepts)

There is Buddhism.
Martin Po
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:41 am

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Postby marc108 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:45 pm

Sekha wrote:As far as the teaching of the Buddha is concerned, absolutely. There is no question about it.


I don't believe you find this line of thinking reflected in the Suttas. The Buddha allowed monks to strike back to defend themselves. You don't find the Buddha advising pacifism or taking anti-war stances during discussions with kings either.



Surely we can't allow extremist groups to just do as they please? Killing, believing they are doing good and will be rewarded for doing so, and wiping out entire cultures in the process. Is it better to kill a small group of people and prevent the deaths of hundreds of thousands or to just let things work themselves out. If we take the 'let things work themselves out' approach we have to be realistic and willing to accept that the evil group will in fact eliminate all other groups, come to power, and rule permanently. It's a very tough subject. The reality of the world we live in is that any society that adopts a purely pacifistic approach to worldly interactions will surely be wiped from existence. This world is samsara. It always will be.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
User avatar
marc108
 
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Postby Martin Po » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:51 pm

PS: i'am from some region of the world where was some terrorist attacs. In my own town, on the public place, where my mother used to work, there was one explosion; in the neighbor town, town of some members of my family, there was explosion of some entire 10-floors buildings.
Never in my mind there was a mental formation based on hate or killing, and never i would like to go and kill islamic terrorist, i even read the Coran, and have many of musim friends. I have just change country with my family.

I know what i'am speaking about.
Last edited by Martin Po on Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Martin Po
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:41 am

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Postby Sekha » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:53 pm

marc108 wrote:I don't believe you find this line of thinking reflected in the Suttas. The Buddha allowed monks to strike back to defend themselves. You don't find the Buddha advising pacifism or taking anti-war stances during discussions with kings either.

Is this a joke?

"There is the case, student, where a woman or man is a killer of living beings, brutal, bloody-handed, given to killing & slaying, showing no mercy to living beings. Through having adopted & carried out such actions, on the break-up of the body, after death, he/she reappears in the plane of deprivation, the bad destination, the lower realms, hell. If, on the break-up of the body, after death — instead of reappearing in the plane of deprivation, the bad destination, the lower realms, hell — he/she comes to the human state, then he/she is short-lived wherever reborn. This is the way leading to a short life: to be a killer of living beings, brutal, bloody-handed, given to killing & slaying, showing no mercy to living beings.

"But then there is the case where a woman or man, having abandoned the killing of living beings, abstains from killing living beings, and dwells with the rod laid down, the knife laid down, scrupulous, merciful, & sympathetic for the welfare of all living beings. Through having adopted & carried out such actions, on the break-up of the body, after death, he/she reappears in a good destination, in the heavenly world. If, on the break-up of the body, after death — instead of reappearing in a good destination, in the heavenly world — he/she comes to the human state, then he/she is long-lived wherever reborn. This is the way leading to a long life: to have abandoned the killing of living beings, to abstain from killing living beings, to dwell with one's rod laid down, one's knife laid down, scrupulous, merciful, & sympathetic for the welfare of all living beings.

"There is the case where a woman or man is one who harms beings with his/her fists, with clods, with sticks, or with knives. Through having adopted & carried out such actions, on the break-up of the body, after death, he/she reappears in the plane of deprivation... If instead he/she comes to the human state, then he/she is sickly wherever reborn. This is the way leading to sickliness: to be one who harms beings with one's fists, with clods, with sticks, or with knives.

"But then there is the case where a woman or man is not one who harms beings with his/her fists, with clods, with sticks, or with knives. Through having adopted & carried out such actions, on the break-up of the body, after death, he/she reappears in a good destination... If instead he/she comes to the human state, then he/she is healthy wherever reborn. This is the way leading to health: not to be one who harms beings with one's fists, with clods, with sticks, or with knives.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html



marc108 wrote:If we take the 'let things work themselves out' approach we have to be realistic and willing to accept that the evil group will in fact eliminate all other groups, come to power, and rule permanently. It's a very tough subject.

still better than becoming the evil group oneself without even realizing it.


marc108 wrote:The reality of the world we live in is that any society that adopts a purely pacifistic approach to worldly interactions will surely be wiped from existence.

And what about the Asokan empire? Do you mean that war is justified by the evilness of people on the other side? Is it not the exact same logic they are using and that make you label them as "evil"?
Where knowledge ends, religion begins. - B. Disraeli

http://www.buddha-vacana.org
User avatar
Sekha
 
Posts: 743
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:32 am
Location: French Guiana

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Postby marc108 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:14 pm

Sekha wrote:Is this a joke?


no, and the quoted Sutta passage doesn't imply social pacifism. I'm not talking about non-violence as taken up by the practicing Buddhist as a personal practice, but a social concept and practice.



still better than becoming the evil group oneself without even realizing it.


what you're saying relies on presupposition that defending oneself causes one to become an evil group... which isn't true. really... think deeply about the issue i presented then give a response. how does one handle a group bent on wiping out an entire culture? would pacifism have worked against the nazis? should we in fact, take a pacifistic approach towards extremist mulsim groups and allow them to take over the entire world, destroy all other religions, enact worldwide sharia law?


Do you mean that war is justified by the evilness of people on the other side? Is it not the exact same logic they are using and that make you label them as "evil"?


Yes, exactly. You cant put a modern extremist group into the same pile as a society that wants to defend itself from needless murdering and eventual annihilation. These are not the same thing.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
User avatar
marc108
 
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Postby Martin Po » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:23 pm

Marc, are you ready to kill ?
Imagine, you take a gun, and you blow his face off, becasue of his wrong view. Are you ready to do that?
Martin Po
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:41 am

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Postby lojong1 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:24 pm

It's time to move ahead, leave the leaves and books behind, and start carving dhamma into stone wherever we can.
lojong1
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:59 am

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Postby Martin Po » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:25 pm

Vidio's name is : "He killed me!"

It's a war jurnalist, who make a film on war, and at the end of this vidio he die, he was killed by a sniper, and he scream "He killed me! He killed me!"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUr28o8h1pg
Last edited by Martin Po on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Po
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:41 am

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Postby marc108 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:26 pm

Martin Po wrote:Marc, are you ready to kill ?
Imagine, you take a gun, and you blow his face off, becasue of his wrong view. Are you ready to do that?


Myself, personally... no. But nor am I will to disband the military in hopes my Metta will stop extremist groups from murdering.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
User avatar
marc108
 
Posts: 464
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:10 pm

Re: Nine blasts in Bodhgaya this morning: terror attack?

Postby Martin Po » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:30 pm

marc108 wrote:
Martin Po wrote:Marc, are you ready to kill ?
Imagine, you take a gun, and you blow his face off, becasue of his wrong view. Are you ready to do that?


Myself, personally... no. But nor am I will to disband the military in hopes my Metta will stop extremist groups from murdering.


I want you to watch the vidio that i'am posted above.
Martin Po
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:41 am

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 14 guests