Sad news: JJ Cale

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Sad news: JJ Cale

Postby Ben » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:54 pm

Grammy Award winning singer-songwriter JJ Cale dies, aged 74

Grammy Award-winning singer-songwriter JJ Cale, one of the most versatile musicians of his era who played guitar and spanned music genres from rock 'n' roll to blues and jazz, has died after suffering a heart attack at the age of 74.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-28/g ... es/4848306

:candle:
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Re: Sad news: JJ Cale

Postby Justsit » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:36 am

Yes, very sad. He was one of the great ones.
Roll on, John, and thanks for your gift of music.
:candle:
Justsit

Postby dagon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:47 am

Hi All, it is sad but sobering.

Impermanence is one of those things that my mind battles to reject and ignore but the death of jJ cale and the like serve to bring home the truths of Buddha’s teachings. There is the temptation to say that he lives on through his music – this is something that I have often reflected on. We say this to bring comfort to ourselves and others, an attempt to alleviate grief from a loss. First thing that comes to mind is that fame, fortune, talent is no protection against death. We can cling to the music (and any associated memories) but aren't we also grasping and grieving for the songs that we know will not come in the future.

Regards
paul
dagon

Postby lyndon taylor » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:13 am

One of my favourites was John Cale, of the Velvet Underground, I always used to get them confused, anyway I think they're both passed on now.......
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community that has so generously given me so much, sincerely former monk John
lyndon taylor

Postby Justsit » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:23 pm

dagon wrote:Hi All, it is sad but sobering.

Impermanence is one of those things that my mind battles to reject and ignore but the death of jJ cale and the like serve to bring home the truths of Buddha’s teachings. There is the temptation to say that he lives on through his music – this is something that I have often reflected on. We say this to bring comfort to ourselves and others, an attempt to alleviate grief from a loss. First thing that comes to mind is that fame, fortune, talent is no protection against death. We can cling to the music (and any associated memories) but aren't we also grasping and grieving for the songs that we know will not come in the future.

Regards
paul

Yes, of course, death reminds us of impermanence, that's a given.
Clinging to music and grieving for songs not to come? - perhaps not so much. Rather, for me, a greater appreciation for what was created and the joy it brought to many.

Death can also be an opportunity to allow sadness to soften our hearts and thus generate compassion. We fully experience our sense of loss, then go on. Sadness does not have to equal clinging.
Justsit

Return to Lounge