Book Recommendation: Vipassana/Mindfulness Meditation

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Book Recommendation: Vipassana/Mindfulness Meditation

Postby Jhana4 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:40 pm

A friend of mine is interested in learning mindfulness meditation ( vipassana ). She does better when she has written directions.

I was thinking of recommending "Mindfulness In Plain English" to her as it is in a plain parlance, as per the title. The take away message, "what has to be done" isn't obscured by being verbose, as are a lot of meditation books. However, I recently reread it and there are a few things I do not like about the book.

Would anyone care to recommend a beginner's book on vipassana ( mindfulness meditation ), that is also in plain language and not overly verbose? Clear cut directions, no poetry, ambiguity, etc?
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
Jhana4

Re: Book Recommendation: Vipassana/Mindfulness Meditation

Postby daverupa » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:57 pm

I'd like to recommend Satipatthana: The Direct Path to Realization by Analayo, but I think this may not fit your requirements.

So...the anapanasati sutta, perhaps? Maybe the proper beginning is guarded sense gates and satisampajanna generally, at first; which book discusses the steps in detail which precede sitting secluded, diligent, ardent, and resolute?
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:02 pm

AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Leon-nl » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:38 pm

I'd definitely recommend: Steve Hagen's Meditation: Now or Never

http://www.amazon.com/Meditation-Now-Ne ... 0061143294

Don't let you be put off, by Steve Hagen being Zen, the book is a generic meditation guide. The book is a real primer. Concise, not too elaborate, yet complete.

You can also have a look here:

http://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/ ... struction/
Leon-nl

Return to Lounge