A new house - some sort of blessing/energy/thing?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

A new house - some sort of blessing/energy/thing?

Postby Feathers » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:14 am

Hi! I wasn't sure where to post this, so sorry if it's the wrong place.

I'll start by saying I'm an atheist and tend to avoid rituals, but I'm moving to a new house on Monday, with my parents (it's their house) following a couple of weeks later. And I feel this need to do something to . . . I don't know how to phrase it . . . "give it some positive energy"?

I was wondering if this would be appropriate: if I did metta meditation in each room for (a) myself, (b) my family, (c) anyone who visits that room?
Even if it does nothing for the house I'd have done quite a lot of metta! And it might help me get my head right about the house. But any advice/feedback would be welcome.
Feathers

Re: A new house - some sort of blessing/energy/thing?

Postby Derek » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:02 pm

Sounds good, Feathers.

In Thailand people invite monks to a new house to do some chanting and then offer food to the monks. It's considered a particular blessing if you have nine monks. But that's probably a bit impractical in non-Buddhist countries!

So, yeah. Some metta, some blessings, and/or do some chanting.
Derek

Postby Feathers » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:05 pm

Hehe yeah I doubt I can find 9 Theravada monks in West Yorkshire even, let alone get them all to come to my house. Plus I want to be slightly stealthy about this, as my parents are highly Christian (as in, both Priests). I think rumours of 9 monks would probably get back to them :p

Thanks for ok-ing the metta, I just didn't want to do anything inappropriate :smile:
Feathers

Postby dagon » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:37 pm

Feathers wrote:Hehe yeah I doubt I can find 9 Theravada monks in West Yorkshire even, let alone get them all to come to my house. Plus I want to be slightly stealthy about this, as my parents are highly Christian (as in, both Priests). I think rumours of 9 monks would probably get back to them :p

Thanks for ok-ing the metta, I just didn't want to do anything inappropriate :smile:

Remember its in the intention rather that the actions - they are your parents so you should respect them
Tell them you want to fill the house with "love 'n' kindness" to turn the house into a home.
They are Christians and they will get it - you keep your precepts :smile:
dagon

Postby beeblebrox » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:57 pm

Hi Feathers,

I think I will just be happy for the parents; enjoy our time in the new house; be mindful that negative energy doesn't arise; or if it does arise, be mindful that it doesn't go out of hand. I think that should be enough. It doesn't really have to be contrived.

In my opinion, the (formal) meditation practice is just a training for that sort of thing... it's not really a substitute, especially not in the everyday life. I think that's just me, though.

Hope the new place goes well for you and your parents.

:anjali:
beeblebrox

Postby Feathers » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Thanks guys.

Beeble I get what you're saying, I guess maybe this is more about getting my head in the right place about the house and living with my parents for a while. If that makes sense?

And don't worry Dagon, I do respect my parents - and I imagine they would be very happy if I went and declared myself a Buddhist. However talking religion with them is hugely painful for me (my issue entirely I accept). But by doing metta in each room I certainly wouldn't be doing anything they would object to :-)
Feathers

Postby Viscid » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:29 pm

It's also worthwhile to investigate why you have this particular feeling about the house in the first place, and why you feel that doing metta will resolve that discomfort. Such a situation is a great opportunity to deepen insight about oneself.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James
Viscid

Postby Feathers » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:00 pm

Viscid, yes indeed. It's pretty deep seated.

I should clarify, I moved out when I was 18, but now (nearly 28) am having to move back due to unemployment and total lack of money. So there's just some adjusting to losing my independence. There's also the fact that my parents and I have grown very different in some ways. And then throw in the fact that they (and my Mum especially) are not very happy at the moment. I am hoping that if I can get my head right I can at least not make things worse, not be a cause of friction, and maybe even bring some positivity and make the atmosphere a bit better for them. It doesn't help it's all tangled up with my own stuff, including depression for the past 6yrs, so we're a bit of a mess overall :p
Feathers

Return to Lounge