Recent passing of several masters

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Recent passing of several masters

Postby pilgrim » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:47 am

In the last few weeks many eminent teachers have passed away.

Acarya Buddharakkhita - 23 Sept 2013
Venerable Dr Anuruddha Nayaka Maha Thera - 29 Sept 2013
S N Goenka - 29 Sept 2013
And I just heard news that the Choje Akong Rinpoche was assassinated in Chengdu, China
pilgrim

Re: Recent passing of several masters

Postby dagon » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:30 am

Sad times

To all dear friends of Samye Ling and Choje Akong Tulku Rinpoche I am very, very sorry to inform you all that tragically, my brother Choje Akong Rinpoche, my nephew and one monk who was travelling with then, were all assassinated in Chengdu today. Rinpoche’s body has been taken to hospital where a post mortem will be carried out. That is all the news I have so far. If I receive further news I will let you know. My nephew Kating Lama has been able to inform His Holiness Karmapa’s sister who has informed H H Karmapa, H H Dalai Lama and Chamgon Kenting Tai Situpa and they are all saying prayers. - See more at: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/americanbu ... vsvOT.dpuf

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/americanbu ... china.html

metta
paul
dagon

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:57 pm

pilgrim wrote:In the last few weeks many eminent teachers have passed away.

Acarya Buddharakkhita - 23 Sept 2013
Venerable Dr Anuruddha Nayaka Maha Thera - 29 Sept 2013
S N Goenka - 29 Sept 2013
And I just heard news that the Choje Akong Rinpoche was assassinated in Chengdu, China
In 1970 I spent a week at Samye Ling, in southern Scotland. I was hoping to meet Trungpa, but he had left. Ven Akong was running the place. He was very kind to me and generous with his time, for which I am very grateful. While I was there I bought a book at the small shop that they had. It was Ven Nyanaponika's brilliant HEART OF BUDDHIST MEDITATION, which changed my life. It is interesting how these things play out. I am very sad to learn of Ven Akong's untimely and violent death, and I am thankful to him for what he selflessly gave me.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.
"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby BlindJoeDeath » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:57 am

pilgrim wrote:In the last few weeks many eminent teachers have passed away.

I was in Chengdu 2 months ago, and spent a great amount of time in the Tibetan section of the city (think of it like a Chinatown in the U.S). I couldn't imagine such a thing happening there, truly unfortunate.
BlindJoeDeath

Return to Lounge