Dogs Are People, Too

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Dogs Are People, Too

Postby Kusala » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:43 am

Homage to the Buddha
Thus indeed, is that Blessed One: He is the Holy One, fully enlightened, endowed with clear vision and virtuous conduct, sublime, the Knower of the worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, enlightened and blessed.

Homage to the Teachings
The Dhamma of the Blessed One is perfectly expounded; to be seen here and now; not delayed in
time; inviting one to come and see; onward leading (to Nibbana); to be known by the wise, each for himself.
Kusala

Re: Dogs Are People, Too

Postby cooran » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:53 am

Absolutely fascinating!

It is really going to raise moral questions in the future.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby Kim OHara » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:50 am

cooran wrote:Absolutely fascinating!

It is really going to raise moral questions in the future.

With metta,
Chris

Hi, Chris,
It's already raising moral questions, especially as regards apes. See, for instance, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_ape_personhood.
If you wanted to look at it in a social-political context, you could see it as an extension of the sporadic movement to extend rights from adult males to women, to children, to other ethnic groups (e.g. indigenous Australians were not counted in the census when I was a child and some had no voting rights) and so on - happening at different speeds all around the world.
The question, as in our endless debates over "sentience", is how and where to draw the line.
For my part, I think it's an abuse and corruption of language to call animals "people" but I would like to see all animals treated with more respect and dignity, however we go about achieving that.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:26 am

Greetings,

Kim OHara wrote:For my part, I think it's an abuse and corruption of language to call animals "people" but I would like to see all animals treated with more respect and dignity, however we go about achieving that.

:goodpost:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Return to Lounge