Why Christmas annoys me

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Re: Why Christmas annoys me

Postby Mkoll » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:59 pm

binocular wrote:But was a Dhamma book ever given to you specifically, without you asking for it or even having any previous interest in the Dhamma at all - like a person approaching you personally and giving you a Dhamma book just so, out of the blue?

No, and I've never thought of it this way.

My mind is clearly immature in regards to this subject for whatever defiling reason. Given all of your compassionate advice and my reflection upon it, I've come to the conclusion that you're right. The Dhamma should not be shared haphazardly as though it were some common good.

Thank you all for turning my mind around.

I still would like to get them some inspiring and positive gifts that like the book Ven. Pesala recommended. Does anyone have any other recommendations? Especially along the lines of film because everyone loves film. I'm getting gifts for American relatives in their 40's and 50's and their kids who range from 12-17 years old.

:anjali:
Peace,
James
User avatar
Mkoll
 
Posts: 2837
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Why Christmas annoys me

Postby binocular » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:02 pm

There's a thread on Buddhism-related films - viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1054

"Groundhog Day" is a pleasant classic.
binocular
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Why Christmas annoys me

Postby rohana » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:22 pm

manas wrote:But if anyone can post some positive things about Christmas, please do. It might counteract my current annoyance with this thinly veiled retail profit-fest.

yours grumpily,

manas

Awww... I'm sure grumpy cat shares your feelings about Christmas.

Image

Image
"Delighting in existence, O monks, are gods and men; they are attached to existence, they revel in existence. When the Dhamma for the cessation of existence is being preached to them, their minds do not leap towards it, do not get pleased with it, do not get settled in it, do not find confidence in it. That is how, monks, some lag behind."
- It. p 43
rohana
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:43 pm

Re: Why Christmas annoys me

Postby Jayantha-NJ » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:36 pm

One thing you can say about grumpy cat, at least he tries new things lol!
Image
User avatar
Jayantha-NJ
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:54 am
Location: New Jersey , USA

Re: Why Christmas annoys me

Postby Babadhari » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:54 pm

why christmas annoys me........ the same songs being played endlessly every December for as long as i can remember. :tantrum:
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
Babadhari
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:23 pm
Location: lalita ghat

Re: Why Christmas annoys me

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:22 pm

Mkoll wrote:...I still would like to get them some inspiring and positive gifts that like the book Ven. Pesala recommended. Does anyone have any other recommendations? Especially along the lines of film because everyone loves film. I'm getting gifts for American relatives in their 40's and 50's and their kids who range from 12-17 years old.

:anjali:

Google image search "inspirational posters buddhist" and look at the results ... thousands of them ... or go to your nearest new-agey shop. :tongue:
You've been told where to look for movies.
HHDL's "Beyond Religion" is actually a good introduction to compassionate humanism and may appeal to some people who would not normally look at a Buddhist book.

:namaste:
Kim
User avatar
Kim OHara
 
Posts: 3047
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Why Christmas annoys me

Postby Ben » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:21 pm

I like Christmas.
Where I live it's lost a lot of its religious meaning and has become a secular holiday. Here, at least, it seems to be more in keeping with its non-Christian past of generosity, and the celebration of the brahma viharas. And that is what I concentrate on rather than any dramas or the commercialism. Manas, my advice to you is if you are facing being alone at Christmas is to devote the day to meditation and study.
With metta,
Ben.
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus


Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
User avatar
Ben
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16055
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:49 am
Location: Land of the sleeping gods

Re: Why Christmas annoys me

Postby manas » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:30 am

Ben wrote:I like Christmas.
Where I live it's lost a lot of its religious meaning and has become a secular holiday. Here, at least, it seems to be more in keeping with its non-Christian past of generosity, and the celebration of the brahma viharas. And that is what I concentrate on rather than any dramas or the commercialism. Manas, my advice to you is if you are facing being alone at Christmas is to devote the day to meditation and study.
With metta,
Ben.


Hi Ben,

I won't be alone on that day, I think you misunderstood...I was expressing empathy for the many others who will be alone on that day, because in the past I was, and it was tough, seeing everyone else with family, companionship, etc, and myself excluded. But that no longer applies to me.

As I said a few posts ago, I've already decided to let go of my irritation, people can do what they want, so long as it's legal...let them put up tinsel etc I guess in terms of scale, all the hectic rushing around and preparation and outlay of money, is not that bad...at least they're not worshipping a football match or a horse race.

metta
User avatar
manas
 
Posts: 2104
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:04 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Why Christmas annoys me

Postby Digity » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:19 am

I love Christmas, because we get the whole week off at our work! I like all the time off around the end of the year. It gives you some time to retreat, spend it with family, etc. I don't even think about the religious aspect of Christmas...most people don't.

I use to find Christmas kind of lame. However, now I think it's nice to see people get into the spirit by putting up lights and so on (although, I personally lack much Christmas spirit). Also, I'm a fan of those Christmas movies like It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Carol. Those are always great to watch around this time of the year.

But where I live there's snow...so it's easier to get into Christmas mode. If it was hot and sunny where I lived I probably could never get into it.
Digity
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:13 am

Re: Why Christmas annoys me

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:36 am

Digity wrote:I love Christmas, because we get the whole week off at our work! I like all the time off around the end of the year. It gives you some time to retreat, spend it with family, etc. I don't even think about the religious aspect of Christmas...most people don't.

... But where I live there's snow...so it's easier to get into Christmas mode. If it was hot and sunny where I lived I probably could never get into it.

That's funny ... where I live it's always hot and sunny ... so it's easier to get into Christmas mode. If it was cold and snowy where I lived I probably could never get into it.

:tongue:
Kim
User avatar
Kim OHara
 
Posts: 3047
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Why Christmas annoys me

Postby Jayantha-NJ » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:47 am

Kim OHara wrote:
Digity wrote:I love Christmas, because we get the whole week off at our work! I like all the time off around the end of the year. It gives you some time to retreat, spend it with family, etc. I don't even think about the religious aspect of Christmas...most people don't.

... But where I live there's snow...so it's easier to get into Christmas mode. If it was hot and sunny where I lived I probably could never get into it.

That's funny ... where I live it's always hot and sunny ... so it's easier to get into Christmas mode. If it was cold and snowy where I lived I probably could never get into it.

:tongue:
Kim



ah the amazing power of perspective :)
User avatar
Jayantha-NJ
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:54 am
Location: New Jersey , USA

Re: Why Christmas annoys me

Postby Spiny Norman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:48 pm

Digity wrote: I don't even think about the religious aspect of Christmas...most people don't.


That's true in the UK where people worship in supermarkets during the festive season... ;)
User avatar
Spiny Norman
 
Posts: 2387
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: With the cockney chimney-sweeps in Mary Poppins

Re: Why Christmas annoys me

Postby Hickersonia » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:26 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:
Digity wrote: I don't even think about the religious aspect of Christmas...most people don't.


That's true in the UK where people worship in supermarkets during the festive season... ;)

Comercemas at its finest!
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/


"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
User avatar
Hickersonia
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:40 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Why Christmas annoys me

Postby Sanjay PS » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:31 am

Seeing the lighted stars hung in houses , people happy and cheerful , comfortable in their homes with their friends and relatives , gets out a sense of sympathetic joy . Seeing the well-being of others can be very nourishing . The commercials and hoopla for any festival or occasion is a pass.

The best new year that i have celebrated , was once many years ago , when i had a quiet stroll in the night , feeling good about every home that i crossed , i returned from the walk , made some cutlets and served it along with salads and bread to my parents , had their company , and called it an early night . The simplicity of it all still remains fresh in the mind .

sanjay
Sanjay PS
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:26 pm

Previous

Return to Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: appicchato, Lostegasa and 4 guests