Meet the Amish

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
SarathW

Meet the Amish

Post by SarathW »

Last night I watch one of the episodes of Meet the Amish.
I was quite please to find that their life style is quite resemble to Buddhist ethics. (except they believe in God)
Is there a life style like that in Buddhism?
:shrug:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m64X1hMCJoE
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Mkoll

Re: Meet the Amish

Post by Mkoll »

Dear SarathW,

The little I know for sure of some of the Amish is this: they make raw butter from the raw milk of their cows.

Raw dairy is illegal to sell in some US states. IMHO, it's much better tasting and healthier than pasteurized dairy.

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

A much more realistic and balanced view of the Amish is presented here. I lived in an Amish area and had Amish neighbors for a number of years. Yes, their lives seem very romantic to us "English," but they also work very hard and their rules are quite rigid. I think the thing I find most admirable is the cohesiveness of their communities, and their firm adherence to their principles. An Amish school near me was attacked in 2006 by a crazed man and ten little girls were murdered. The man committed suicide in the school as well; it was terrible. The Amish were the first to visit the attacker's family, and they offered condolence and forgiveness, as their Scripture teaches. We should all show such compassion.

Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

Justsit wrote: An Amish school near me was attacked in 2006 by a crazed man and ten little girls were murdered. The man committed suicide in the school as well; it was terrible. The Amish were the first to visit the attacker's family, and they offered condolence and forgiveness, as their Scripture teaches. We should all show such compassion.
i just saw that incident on a programme a few days ago, truly shocking and unbelievable
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

SarathW wrote:Is there a life style like that in Buddhism?
In Thailand I suppose the Santi Asoke group might be compared to the Amish in some respects.

http://www.bunniyom.com/insight-santi_mobi3.html

http://www.bunniyom.com/openeyes.marja_leena.html
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

I should probably add, many of the Amish seem to have little compassion for other sentient beings. They often do not treat their animals with much kindness.