Colony to be established of Mars by 2023!

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Colony to be established of Mars by 2023!

Postby clw_uk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:45 pm

Just thought I'd share this really interesting news story

More than 200,000 people applied for a one-way ticket to Mars
The first colony is expected to settle on the Red Planet by 2023
The hopefuls will eventually be shortlisted into a final group of 40
297 of the candidates to make first cut are from the US; 75 are Canadian

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... lanet.html

Would have loved to be selected for this! Would anyone else go if they had the chance?

:alien:
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
clw_uk

Re: Colony to be established of Mars by 2023!

Postby Aloka » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:00 pm

clw_uk wrote:
Would anyone else go if they had the chance?

Nope.

:)
Aloka

Postby Mkoll » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:25 pm

Interesting. I'd be willing to bet that it takes longer than 10 years for us to get humans to Mars, let alone build a colony there. We haven't even
sent humans to the moon in over fourty years.

I wouldn't go as well.

:anjali:
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:45 pm

No thanks. I can hardly stand being stuck in an elevator.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
Khalil Bodhi

Postby daverupa » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:08 pm

I would have to cross-reference the situation with MN 17.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:07 pm

Is this real? If so, then I would say the first residents should be young adults, no known health problems and they should be highly skilled with agriculture. The first thing that would be needed is to set up an agricultural system. And that is assuming that the Martian land is even fertile for agriculture. We don't even know that for sure do we?
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Babadhari » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:59 pm

i wouln't go- the amount of money being poured into these 'cosmic dreams' would be much better being redirected to the poor and hungry people in third world countries to have irrigation systems and solar technologies .
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
Babadhari

Postby BlackBird » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:33 pm

We shall see. I think it's unlikely they'll make their deadline, but it's gotta happen sooner or later.

I'm more excited about Solar Sails and the possibility for interstellar space travel. With solar sails, we have the potential to visit other stars within 20 years of a probe leaving earth, by their constant acceleration, scientists reckon a well built solar sail could reach speeds of 1/10th the speed of light. This is fantastic technology. Current models could reach Mars in a month, rather than 3 years.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby Sam Vara » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:53 pm

297 of the candidates to make first cut are from the US; 75 are Canadian

They've got nine years to get really fluent in Mandarin...
Sam Vara

Postby manas » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:09 am

Mars could be terraformed, to eventually create an environment suitable for human habitation. But that would most likely take hundreds of years. Still, a start should be made. Because it would be good to have an alternative planet for the human species to survive on, should the Earth be rendered uninhabitable by some truly cataclysmic event (major asteroid or planetary collision, full-scale thermonuclear war, etc).

Still, I wouldn't go either. And I hope they find a bunch of individuals who can all get along really well together...you would want really mentally & emotionally stable people for such an undertaking. The kind of person who could, if they had to, survive in a prison-like situation quite happily.

manas

Postby Mkoll » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:34 am

BlackBird wrote:We shall see. I think it's unlikely they'll make their deadline, but it's gotta happen sooner or later.

I'm more excited about Solar Sails and the possibility for interstellar space travel. With solar sails, we have the potential to visit other stars within 20 years of a probe leaving earth, by their constant acceleration, scientists reckon a well built solar sail could reach speeds of 1/10th the speed of light. This is fantastic technology. Current models could reach Mars in a month, rather than 3 years.

It's interesting that sails using the power of natural wind were the primary way of fast travel on the seas before engines, as far as I know. And now we may be going back to sails in space using the power of natural radiation pressure and solar wind until we can build some incredible engine that outruns them.

Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby Kare » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:30 am

The Buddha has already been there - according to Rudolf Steiner:

http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/GA130/ ... 18p01.html

:toilet:
Mettāya,
Kåre
Kare

Postby BlackBird » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:38 pm

Mkoll wrote:
BlackBird wrote:We shall see. I think it's unlikely they'll make their deadline, but it's gotta happen sooner or later.

It's interesting that sails using the power of natural wind were the primary way of fast travel on the seas before engines, as far as I know. And now we may be going back to sails in space using the power of natural radiation pressure and solar wind until we can build some incredible engine that outruns them.

To the best of my knowledge, the solar sail works on photons from the light of the sun bouncing off the sail, it gains momentum twice: from the photon pushing onto the sail, and pushing off, so yes - electromagnetical radiation, but I don't think they utilize solar wind.

There is however a competing technology that utilises microwaves, it would seem they will use giant dishes pointed at the sail to generate movement. They are also thinking of using giant lasers on Earth to help speed up the solar sails.

Other than that, you're quite right, it has come full circle, and the irony is not lost on us.

metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Return to Lounge