E-Sangha

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

E-Sangha

Postby davcuts » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:09 am

Does anyone know if E-Sangha is down? I keep trying to log on and I keep getting an IPB warning. Is anyone else getting this warning? If not I guess there's something wrong with my computer.

Thanks,
David

PS, What's an IPB warning? :tongue:
davcuts

Re: E-Sangha

Postby Pannapetar » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:12 am

Looks like the DB server that backs the board software is down. The error message exposes the DB user account ...not exactly good site security. :spy:

Cheers, Thomas
Pannapetar

Postby Ben » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:21 am

Hi Dave

Yes, I've got the same warning.
We'll wait for e-sangha moderators, Chris and MikeNZ66 to come on board, perhaps they'll have some news regarding the site's status.
I hope they're back on line soon.
Metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby cooran » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:39 am

Hello all,

I haven't heard any news yet. And I didn't bring the personal email addys of the Admins over to my new computer. :thinking:

Just focusing on Khanti and Anicca at the moment.

metta
cooran
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby cooran » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:10 am

I've left a message on Henry's facebook wall, and a couple of other people had raised the subject there also.

As he and Leo both live in Singapore, I hope a phone call will give Leo the news.
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby cooran » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:38 am

We have lift-off ... working O.K. now
http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php?act=idx

metta
Chris
cooran

Postby davcuts » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:40 pm

Thanks everyone for your help. It seems it took over six hours before e-Sangha was back online. I feel for the owner who had to go through such a hassle. :(
davcuts

Postby cooran » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:00 pm

Down Again.
cooran

Postby Tex » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:07 pm

And back up, seems to be running smoothly now.
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Postby Pannapetar » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:36 am

Chris, I think it would be a good idea to tell the owner of E-sangha to configure V-Bulletin so that it does not display SQL error messages to the public. That's a potential security hole.

Cheers, Thomas
Pannapetar

Postby cooran » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:21 am

Thanks Thomas - I'll get onto Leo. There is always the possibility of malignant actions - e-sangha has over 50,000 members (pruned of inactive members every couple of years).

metta
Chris
cooran

Postby davcuts » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:39 pm

Does anyone know what is wrong with e-Sangha? I haven't been able to log on the past two days.

Thanks,
David
davcuts

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:41 pm

E-sangha & Buddhist Community are down, but for some reason I get e-mail notifications that someone has sent me a PM, both from e-sangha and Buddhist Community. Are some of you getting in and not others?

I wonder if it is the firewall or security settings, maybe mine is too high and others are getting in, but taking a risk at getting the virus? (if there is one, I don't know, but some google searches show a "site may not be safe" warning) Unfortunately, I can't ask them, because some of them I only know through e-sangha and Buddhist Community.

So I set up a facebook account:
http://www.www.facebook.com/davidnsnyderphd

And I hope to reconnect to some of my e-s and Buddhist Community contacts through the facebook site.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby Individual » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:28 pm

TheDhamma wrote:E-sangha & Buddhist Community are down, but for some reason I get e-mail notifications that someone has sent me a PM, both from e-sangha and Buddhist Community. Are some of you getting in and not others?

I wonder if it is the firewall or security settings, maybe mine is too high and others are getting in, but taking a risk at getting the virus? (if there is one, I don't know, but some google searches show a "site may not be safe" warning) Unfortunately, I can't ask them, because some of them I only know through e-sangha and Buddhist Community.

So I set up a facebook account:
http://www.www.facebook.com/davidnsnyderphd

And I hope to reconnect to some of my e-s and Buddhist Community contacts through the facebook site.

It's probably because the server is based in Singapore. I had the same issue years ago. Give it an hour and try it again.

The further a server is based from you, the more likely you are to not be able to access it because the further a packet has to travel, the more likely it wil get lost at some point along the way.

So, some people can access it because they can find a "route" from their ISP to Leo's server, but others can't access it. It's a common problem on the internet, which can only be solved by having a server in a better place.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:08 pm

Individual wrote:The further a server is based from you, the more likely you are to not be able to access it because the further a packet has to travel, the more likely it wil get lost at some point along the way.

So, some people can access it because they can find a "route" from their ISP to Leo's server, but others can't access it. It's a common problem on the internet, which can only be solved by having a server in a better place.

That would explain why I am getting notifications that someone has just sent me a PM and they happen to be from Sri Lanka. Unfortunately, I don't know their e-mail or facebook page (if they have one).

But I also received a notification from someone who lives on the East coast of the U.S., so it is kind of strange. Oh well, I am sure he'll get it back up for all of us in a couple of days.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:18 pm

Individual wrote:It's probably because the server is based in Singapore. I had the same issue years ago. Give it an hour and try it again.

Actually, it's easy enough to look up the IP address and find that the server is located in the US. New York, in fact. Like DhammaWheel... :spy:

Mike
mikenz66

Postby cooran » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:54 pm

Hello all,

I've made enquiries from one of the Admins - if I get a response I'll let you know.

metta
Chris
cooran

Postby catmoon » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:09 am

Chris wrote:Hello all,

I've made enquiries from one of the Admins - if I get a response I'll let you know.

metta
Chris

Anyone for a conspiracy theory?
Esangha is toast
My emails to Thubten Chodron's monastery won't go through
Emails to the local Gelug abbey are going unanswered
Even Google is listing sql errors for esangha

In short every Buddhist connection that I want to use, and the Chinese government would not want me to use, is not working. :spy:
catmoon

Postby alex jansen » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:01 am

Not only that. Google's now flagging e-sangha as a site that can harm your computer. Perhaps there has been a history of somebody using e-sangha to inject malware into other people's pc's.

Yes both e-sangha & Buddhist Community are still down. It looks like a database error but if it is, its not something they haven't encountered before or is particularly hard to fix so yeah... conspiracy theories come to mind.
alex jansen

Postby christopher::: » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:44 am

alex jansen wrote:Not only that. Google's now flagging e-sangha as a site that can harm your computer. Perhaps there has been a history of somebody using e-sangha to inject malware into other people's pc's.

Indeed. Going to the e-sangha.com address this message now comes up...

Reported Attack Site!

This web site at http://www.e-sangha.com (<--dont press unless you are confident that your security system will block!!) has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

There is then a button provided which leads over here to Google. Probably best to be cautious...

Safe Browsing: Diagnostic page for e-sangha.com

What is the current listing status for e-sangha.com?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 11 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 2 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2009-10-14, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2009-10-14.

Malicious software includes 20 scripting exploit(s).

Malicious software is hosted on 1 domain(s), including t-age.ru/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS3595 (GNAXNET).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, e-sangha.com did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

:toilet:
"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009
christopher:::

Next

Return to Lounge