E-Sangha

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
adamposey
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Re: E-Sangha

Postby adamposey » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:30 pm

vBulletin certainly seems to scale better and generally deal with attacks better. My impression is/was that primarily php based web software is almost universally inherently insecure.

poto

Postby poto » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:00 pm

adamposey wrote:vBulletin certainly seems to scale better and generally deal with attacks better. My impression is/was that primarily php based web software is almost universally inherently insecure.

Yeah, I've used both vBulletin and phpbb on forums that I've run and vBulletin is so much better and easier to use. It's really worth the money if you're serious about running a forum. Anytime you put anything online and expose it to the public you're going to have security issues. I regularly have hackers scan my servers for vulnerabilities and try to get in. I've been hacked before and it's always a pain, but I always manage to fix it. I just try to look at it as the cost of doing business. I don't think php itself is insecure, although there have been some issues in older versions of php. IMHO, it's people running insecure or poorly coded software that have the most problems.

My point is there are people out there who are trying to break into websites every day. Those people are constantly working on new ways of hacking and looking for any new vulnerabilities they can find and exploit. It's a constant battle to do the best you can to keep your security updated and hope they can't get in. Sometimes you lose though, such is life. Even large corporations and government websites get hacked sometimes.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis

Potato

Postby Potato » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:07 am

E-Sangha is still down.

dharmagoat

Postby dharmagoat » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:49 am

Indeed it is. Hello Potato, everyone.

Yeshe

Postby Yeshe » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:39 pm

I have just tried the site. It caused Firefox to crash out and I lost some settings.
Thankfully, no warnings of anything nasty being sent my way.
I won't be trying again, though, until I read that it has been restored and any bad karma has been purified. LOL :)

Perry

Postby Perry » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:35 pm

Bizarre. I've posted a few times there but found it a bit too busy for my liking, and also found there were too many contradictions in peoples postings for someone as new as me! DhammaWheel is ideal for me as it focuses on Theravada and is generally quieter too.

Does anybody know who would feel the need to hack the site?

retrofuturist
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:01 pm

Greetings David,

TheDhamma wrote:If he could pull-up a recent version, of say one or two months ago, perhaps he could use that data and restore the site?

Maybe a full backup of Dhamma Wheel might be timely, about now.

:spy:

I sympathise with those whose time and effort is going into restoring these systems. It is a terrible frustration to try and do a good service for others, and then have other people maliciously block your efforts to do so.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:19 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings David,
TheDhamma wrote:If he could pull-up a recent version, of say one or two months ago, perhaps he could use that data and restore the site?

Just backed-up the database in full.

:guns: :jedi:

poto

Postby poto » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:20 pm

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings David,

I sympathise with those whose time and effort is going into restoring these systems. It is a terrible frustration to try and do a good service for others, and then have other people maliciously block your efforts to do so.

Metta,

If you're looking for a good backup solution there's Clonebox:
https://www.bettercgi.com/clonebox/
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C. S. Lewis

BlackBird

Postby BlackBird » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:23 pm

When E-Sangha gets back up and running, it would be cool if you guys would stick around and post here too.
It's been nice the past few days with the activity spike.

:group:

Metta
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Just Dave

Postby Just Dave » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:28 pm

BlackBird wrote:...it would be cool if you guys would stick around and post here too.
It's been nice the past few days with the activity spike.

Agreed.

I would hate to have just found the place as everyone was leavin' :tongue:

Rob427W

Postby Rob427W » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:29 pm

It's been nice hanging out / around here, BlackBird.

Oh, and hi, folks! :)

Doctor Who

Postby Doctor Who » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:44 am

Hi...wow..what a trip huh.
so like i actuallu have been having problems with computer.
it's a win98 old IBM computer with zero defence.
i was getting memory parity error halted blue screen deal for a while .
now i do have a problem with my longing on i get this DOS message syntax error unidentified kewword flowcontrol "enable" blah blah...cannot load adapter. press any key to continue and it boots up.

dunno where it came from...a friend said i need to delete adapter dns program and reinstal the thing...the floppy disk does not have the instal on it...
so i'm like living on borrowed copmuter time. :toilet:

I did get the google warning...weird thing to see. :spy:

then i noticed when i google the site i got all these other esangha alert links and found the malcontents and people sueing ESangha. :jawdrop:

some pretty interesting reads there. :reading:

when i found esangha i thought Esangha was like divine intervention ...lol...wow am i an idiot or what. :yingyang:

totally realize we are all living in hell .

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:29 am

Greetings everyone,

Just a little reminder of the following from the Terms Of Service...

Any subject matter that may be off-topic or is intended only to cause disruption or harm to others may be removed without notice. This includes the badmouthing of other Buddhist discussion forums, trolling, solicitation of funds and proselytizing.

Let's make an effort to keep this discussion above board, and on-topic in relation to E-Sangha's current technical difficulties.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Metta,
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

Individual

Postby Individual » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:02 am

In case e-Sangha never comes back up for a while, there is always Dharma Wheel.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra

Annapurna
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby Annapurna » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:30 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings everyone,

Just a little reminder of the following from the Terms Of Service...

Any subject matter that may be off-topic or is intended only to cause disruption or harm to others may be removed without notice. This includes the badmouthing of other Buddhist discussion forums, trolling, solicitation of funds and proselytizing.

Let's make an effort to keep this discussion above board, and on-topic in relation to E-Sangha's current technical difficulties.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Metta,

That part in the TOS is really cool, guys. :thumbsup:
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/

Lazy_eye
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby Lazy_eye » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:51 pm

For anyone who may not have seen it, here is a message posted on the e-sangha front page. Just wanted to pass it along...

We need your help to restore E-Sangha site. Any member who are expert in security, php and mysql database, please do email me at esangha@gmail.com Iframes and scripts are being inserted into our 3 sites and I am at a loss of how to prevent it.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:06 pm

All posts disparaging e-sangha have been removed. Some of you who responded to those posts may also see your posts removed. This is not anything against you, just to keep the flow of discussion on topic and your post may no longer be relevant since the disparaging comments were removed.

PLEASE keep all comments about e-sangha toward your ability or not to log-in, updates you might have from Leo or another admin. over there, or for suggestions on how we might be able to help them get back online!

Thank you!

uslic001

Postby uslic001 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:43 pm

It is a shame that hackers have ruined Esangha. I pray they get the site back up and running soon. :buddha1:

hselin

Postby hselin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:58 pm

Hi Guys,
Sad that lioncity.net/esangha is hacked...hope they get it back soon. it also probably means that we friends of dhamma will need to donate on a regular basis so that they dont have to rely on adds for the money to run the site.
But this also gave me a reason to find this website.

Peace.
hselin

Return to “Lounge”