Life on other planets

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Life on other planets

Postby clw_uk » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:36 pm

Was just wondering if member's here believe that there is life on other planets, sentient and non-sentient?

Personally I do, although I cant know for sure of course
“ Your mind is likewise blocked. But the right road awaits you still. Cast out your doubts, your fears and your desires, let go of grief and of hope as well, for where these rule , then the mind is their subject." Boetius
clw_uk

Re: Life on other planets

Postby Mindstar » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:48 pm

You can count me in on the believer side. Maybe in the not too distant future we will know for sure.
A most interesting future seems to lie ahead, lets wait and see...

http://hipknowsys.blogspot.de/2013/12/s ... -2013.html

I´m not much a fan of Deva philosophy but i think for non Buddhists it should be the second best.
Wherever he goes, there he is unafraid.. Wherever he sleeps, there he is unalarmed!
The nights and days does neither touch nor burn him. He sees nothing in this world
that is to be kept or lost.. Therefore his mind dwells in goodwill and gentle kindness
towards all beings until he falls asleep.
SN I 110
Mindstar

Postby PadmaPhala » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:36 pm

my immediate past life was in a habitable planet orbiting Pleione, in buddhist cosmology it is called deva namanarati.
so yes, due to first hand experience there's life on other planets.
PadmaPhala

Postby Mkoll » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:17 pm

PadmaPhala wrote:my immediate past life was in a habitable planet orbiting Pleione, in buddhist cosmology it is called deva namanarati.

:jawdrop:
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby purple planet » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:39 pm

PadmaPhala wrote:my immediate past life was in a habitable planet orbiting Pleione, in buddhist cosmology it is called deva namanarati.

:jawdrop:

:rofl:

when i first heard about the ability to remember past lives and how when you have improved concentration you can do it - it sounded very logical (even though im a skeptical person) and then i assumed its pretty common for people to remember - but while reading for instances this forum i understand its not the case and people can have threads arguing about whether there past lives or not -

so im very interested to hear (and im sure others are too) more details about your past life - when remembered them - how it felt ect ...
purple planet

Postby PsychedelicSunSet » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:48 pm

In my opinion, the universe is far to vast for us to be the only life out there.

:anjali:
Metta
PsychedelicSunSet

Postby BlackBird » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:37 am

Supossed attainment revelations and past life rememberance aside:

I read about a mathematical equation to come up with the probability of the number not only of earth like planets, but of intelligent life having had time to evolve upon it, the probability is overwhelmingly in favor of it being so. Just take our galaxy for instance: There are 300 billion stars, and NASA reckons a fifth of them have at least one planet within the goldylocks zone. Now if even only a 10th of those planets actually have any forms of life on them, that's still a gigantic number, and then remember you have to multiply it out by the number of galaxies in the universe, if life evolved here on Earth, its so damn probable that it verges on a near certainty that life exists on other planets, and at least a fraction of that is intelligent. But the galaxy is a very vast place, to say nothing of the universe. We are so infintesimally small, humans could die out many times over and not one other alien civilization could be aware of our existence

Iirc there is mention here and there in the Suttas of other world systems. I've seen the term 'thousand fold world system' being used, and I have always taken this to refer to our galaxy or a portion thereof. Minor discrepancies noted, I do not find science and Dhamma via the suttas to be in any way irreconcilable.

Edit: here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation
Last edited by BlackBird on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby pilgrim » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:52 am

It'll be interesting to know what an advanced civilisation thinks of the Buddha Dhamma. On the other hand, they could be technologically advanced but still worship some weird alien god with 11 heads.
pilgrim

Postby BlackBird » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:57 am

pilgrim wrote:It'll be interesting to know what an advanced civilisation thinks of the Buddha Dhamma. On the other hand, they could be technologically advanced but still worship some weird alien god with 11 heads.

I think the Dhamma has probably arisen in other civilizations too at some point in the infinite history of sangsara, after all anicca dukkha and anatta are equally applicable no matter where you are in the universe.
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby Mkoll » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:00 am

And for those who'd like to watch, here is the late, great Carl Sagan from his documentary TV series Cosmos presenting the Drake equation.

Cosmos is somewhat dated but still a lovely introduction to astronomy.

:popcorn:
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:55 pm

clw_uk wrote:Was just wondering if member's here believe that there is life on other planets, sentient and non-sentient?

Given the mind-boggling number of solar systems in the universe, I'd say it's a certainty. I'm hoping for a visit soon... ;)
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:58 pm

BlackBird wrote:I read about a mathematical equation to come up with the probability of the number not only of earth like planets, but of intelligent life having had time to evolve upon it, the probability is overwhelmingly in favor of it being so. Just take our galaxy for instance: There are 300 billion stars, and NASA reckons a fifth of them have at least one planet within the goldylocks zone. Now if even only a 10th of those planets actually have any forms of life on them, that's still a gigantic number, and then remember you have to multiply it out by the number of galaxies in the universe, if life evolved here on Earth, its so damn probable that it verges on a near certainty that life exists on other planets, and at least a fraction of that is intelligent.

:goodpost:
Yes, that's I wanted to say but was feeling a bit tired. ;)
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Spiny Norman

Postby ES06 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:13 pm

BlackBird wrote:
pilgrim wrote:It'll be interesting to know what an advanced civilisation thinks of the Buddha Dhamma. On the other hand, they could be technologically advanced but still worship some weird alien god with 11 heads.

I think the Dhamma has probably arisen in other civilizations too at some point in the infinite history of sangsara, after all anicca dukkha and anatta are equally applicable no matter where you are in the universe.

That is true, of course. But minds of aliens would also be, well, alien. So, Buddhist practices may not work for them. Or would they understand suffering in the way we do?
However, it would certainly be interesting to know what aliens would think about our religions.

About the question: life is natural phenomenon, so there is no reason to assume that it exists only on one single planet in the universe.
ES06

Postby Mindstar » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:52 pm

ES06 wrote:However, it would certainly be interesting to know what aliens would think about our religions.

I just want to drop another message, you might find an answer to your question there ;)

http://www.paoweb.com/sn031114.htm
Wherever he goes, there he is unafraid.. Wherever he sleeps, there he is unalarmed!
The nights and days does neither touch nor burn him. He sees nothing in this world
that is to be kept or lost.. Therefore his mind dwells in goodwill and gentle kindness
towards all beings until he falls asleep.
SN I 110
Mindstar

Postby Jetavan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:30 pm

Mkoll wrote:And for those who'd like to watch, here is the late, great Carl Sagan from his documentary TV series Cosmos presenting the Drake equation.

Cosmos is somewhat dated but still a lovely introduction to astronomy.

:popcorn:

It's been updated.
Jetavan

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:37 pm

I can't watch that particular link, not being in the US. However, I would echo the sentiment that Sagan's Cosmos is a truly amazing series. Some of the science has since moved on, but his explanations are among the very best ever, such as his very clear exposition of how the diameter of the earth was measured by the ancient Greeks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JHEqBLG650

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Kare » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:13 pm

ES06 wrote:However, it would certainly be interesting to know what aliens would think about our religions.

They just love them. All our religions are their creations ... :rofl:
Mettāya,
Kåre
Kare

Postby m0rl0ck » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:00 pm

I do believe. However given the Fermi Paradox it may not be as friendly out there as we would hope.
"When you meditate, don't send your mind outside. Don't fasten onto any knowledge at all. Whatever knowledge you've gained from books or teachers, don't bring it in to complicate things. Cut away all preoccupations, and then as you meditate let all your knowledge come from what's going on in the mind. When the mind is quiet, you'll know it for yourself. But you have to keep meditating a lot. When the time comes for things to develop, they'll develop on their own. Whatever you know, have it come from your own mind.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... eleft.html
m0rl0ck

Postby SamKR » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:29 pm

clw_uk wrote:Was just wondering if member's here believe that there is life on other planets, sentient and non-sentient?

I do believe that there is life on other planets and/or dimensions as much as I believe that there was this life in the past too (past lives & rebirth).
SamKR

Postby Jetavan » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:48 pm

mikenz66 wrote:I can't watch that particular link, not being in the US.

This might work:

A generation later, Sagan's legacy lives again in "Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey," a 21st-century reboot premiering on Fox tonight (March 9). The new "Cosmos" (the original was billed as "A Personal Journey") updates its predecessor with a blend of spectacular visual effects and the latest astronomical discoveries.

Yet the all-new 13-episode series — hosted by astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, a fitting successor to Sagan for reasons the first episode makes clear — still stays true to the north star as Sagan's original: to share the wonder of the universe and science with viewers today. The people behind the new series think Sagan would be proud.
Jetavan

Return to Lounge