Looking for more info on Muslim violence against Buddhists

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
mettafuture

Looking for more info on Muslim violence against Buddhists

Post by mettafuture »

Many news agencies have covered the Buddhist violence against Muslims in Myanmar, but very few have covered the Muslim violence that has occurred against Buddhists. Does anyone know where I can find more information on these incidents? Have any mainstream news agencies covered them?
Kim OHara

Re: Looking for more info on Muslim violence against Buddhis

Post by Kim OHara »

Hi, mettafuture,
We've talked about the topic in a few threads here - these are just two of the more recent threads:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 0&start=60
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16205

They should contain some of the information you're looking for.

:namaste:
Kim
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

Thank you, Kim. I'll comb through those threads and see what I can find.

In the meantime, I found these:
Ma Thida Htwe remembered in Arakan
[Graphic Content] 6-Year-old Buddhist Girl Brutally Raped and Murdered by Bengali Muslims
Last edited by mettafuture on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

There is no difficulty finding this on the Net. Just google "jihad against Buddhists". You can localize to search for Myanmar, Thailand, Bangladesh and Maldives.
Here are a couple of links
http://www.barenakedislam.com/2013/04/1 ... y-muslims/

http://seanrobsville.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... burma.html
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

pilgrim wrote:There is no difficulty finding this on the Net. Just google "jihad against Buddhists". You can localize to search for Myanmar, Thailand, Bangladesh and Maldives.

Hi, Pilgrim,
The trouble with "just google" is that you get so much garbage amongst the reliable information.
Most people are simply unaware that Islam is NOT just another religion but a totalitarian political cult-like ideology, which compels its followers into blind obedience, teaches intolerance, brutality and locks all Muslims and non-Muslims in a struggle deriving directly from the 7th century nomadic, predatory, Bedouin culture.
Would you trust anyone who said this?I know I wouldn't, but you have just recommended them as a source of news :jawdrop:
That was your first link. Your second looks better but all we get on the "About" and "profile" pages is ... nothing. Except that he maintains three Buddhist blogs and "has been on Blogger since 2009" :shrug:

The mainstream media doesn't cover all stories and isn't unbiased but it's a far better bet than random bloggers. If you can stick to non-Murdoch media you're better off, and if you can get an international range of sources you're better off still. Try Al Jazeera + The Guardian + ABC Australia or some such combination.

:namaste:
Kim
cooran

Post by cooran »

Well said Kim!
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

pilgrim wrote:There is no difficulty finding this on the Net. Just google "jihad against Buddhists". You can localize to search for Myanmar, Thailand, Bangladesh and Maldives.

I was hoping to find articles from mainstream news agencies, but very few seem to be covering the other side of the troubles in Burma.

But I did manage to find these...

TwoCircles: Rape-Murder of a Buddhist girl by Muslims led to riots: Myanmar Ambassador
Russia Today: 25,000 Muslim rioters torch Buddhist temples, homes in Bangladesh
Reuters: Three Buddhist women dead in south Thailand attack
Huffington Post: Indonesian Temple Bombed Allegedly To Avenge Violence Against Rohingya Muslims
cooran wrote:Well said Kim!
I agree. :)
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

I'm organizing all of these links into a blog on Muslim violence against Buddhists and Buddhist culture:
[Link Removed]
Last edited by mettafuture on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

A search on "muslim violence Buddhist Myanmar site:http://www.straitstimes.com" brings up thousands of results and the (Singapore) Straits Times surely can't afford to be too biased in either direction.

:coffee:
Kim
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Most people are simply unaware that Islam is NOT just another religion but a totalitarian political cult-like ideology, which compels its followers into blind obedience, teaches intolerance, brutality and locks all Muslims and non-Muslims in a struggle deriving directly from the 7th century nomadic, predatory, Bedouin culture.

this is true (not saying it with ill-will this is true and not an exaggeration) - i cant understand why im heavily censored saying things against islam as a religon - but its ok to quote this things and say them and bash them for it

about burma situation - i dont know whats going on there and i cant really say whose "bad" whose "good" - i dont support actually any violence there - but it definitely - bothers me that people are trying to discuses the situation there without talking about islam

and its very unfair to bring quotes of people talking against islam - and make there true words seem like garbage - but if someone says it here its censored - i think for fairness - if you censor bad talking about islam - than its not fair to talk about the burma situation which clearly religon plays a big part in it
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

Kim OHara wrote:A search on "muslim violence Buddhist Myanmar site:http://www.straitstimes.com" brings up thousands of results and the (Singapore) Straits Times surely can't afford to be too biased in either direction.

:coffee:
Kim
Thank you very much, Kim.
purple planet wrote:
Interesting fact: There are over 100 verses in the Quran that call for war.
and its very unfair to bring quotes of people talking against islam - and make there true words seem like garbage - but if someone says it here its censored - i think for fairness - if you censor bad talking about islam - than its not fair to talk about the burma situation which clearly religon plays a big part in it
I haven't expressed any opinion on the Burma situation. Currently I'm only looking for news reports on Muslim violence against Buddhists for my blog. Speaking of which, I fixed the link.

Question for the forum: Does anyone know where I can find more information on the Muslim invasions in early Buddhist history? Weren't many of the original texts destroyed by Muslim invaders? I found a paragraph about it in this book, but it doesn't go in much detail.
Last edited by mettafuture on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

While were on the topic of terrorism, lets not leave the Americans or the Israelis out of the discussion, nothing like having a bunch of fighter jets drop bombs on a civilian population to incite terror in the people's hearts!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

I haven't expressed any opinion on the Burma situation.
its not meant spesifcly for you or anyone here its a general thought that bugs me
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

lyndon taylor wrote:While were on the topic of terrorism, lets not leave the Americans or the Israelis out of the discussion, nothing like having a bunch of fighter jets drop bombs on a civilian population to incite terror in the people's hearts!!
That's a different subject that deserves its own thread.
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

every thread about israel ( not america which i dont know enough to have a good opinion ) cannot be discussed without mentioning religion - and because its not ok to talk bad about religion by terms of service of this forum (which is ok and understandable) then any talk about israel would be unfair - the problem in israle is not about - land - oil- ethnicity - nationalism - water - or any other thing its only about religion and avoiding it would be unfair and would only lead to a distorted view on the situation