Looking for more info on Muslim violence against Buddhists

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
pilgrim

Re: Looking for more info on Muslim violence against Buddhis

Post by pilgrim »

lyndon taylor wrote:That would be quite recently Myanmar and Sri Lanka, Pilgrim
Yet the war against the Taliban and Al-Qaeda is not a war against Muslims?
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Of course it is, with terrorists on both sides as I previously pointed out.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Try to remain corralled by the OP... this begins to wander off, friends.

:anjali:
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

Kim OHara wrote:None of us is in a position to throw stones at any ethnic or religious group. We all live in glass houses.
But not everyone's glass house has over 100 verses that call for war. And this isn't a bash against Islam. It's a fact. And perhaps it would be more fair to say Muslims started terrorizing Buddhists over 800 years ago. Of course, Buddhists have been attacked by other groups, but, arguably, Buddhists have been under attack from Muslims the longest.

And for the record, I'm not trying to start an Islamic hate fest with this thread. I've heard a lot of stories about Buddhists attacking Muslims, and I wanted to know more about what may have provoked these attacks, and the history between Buddhists and Muslims.
lyndon taylor

Post by lyndon taylor »

Have you ever read the Bible, its not exactly all peace and love, plenty of calls to war, and to this day its followers getting involved in and starting wars. The problem is there's a whole lot of muslim bashing going on in the media, and quite simply its not a one way street with muslims causing all the problems, most of the problems with muslims today are in direct result of a massive military overreaction by the western powers. Al queda has no one but Americans to thank for their wide spread popularity today, they were originally a fringe group with not even as much influence as fellow right wingers like Jerry Falwell.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community, sincerely former monk John

http://trickleupeconomictheory.blogspot.com/
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

if you are looking for curent attacks you can see the buddhist defence legue facebook page

:!: but caution this will cause you to feel ill-will :!:

its very graphic with strong images ! (at the moment theres a dead monk image) :!:

https://www.facebook.com/BuddhistDefenceLeague

i wish people will watch it to know whats going on - whoever allready knows more or less !shouldnt! look at this cause it just causes you ill-will and destroys the metta -

but if its to educate people about reality - and will help people understand that people who hate on islam dont do it just cause they cant except any exotic strange religion but because there are reason for that

i dont think people here should waste any precious time on politics especially not the kind that cause ill-will but i think that to see that even the "rock-throwers" might have a point is worth it
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

lyndon taylor wrote:Have you ever read the Bible, its not exactly all peace and love...
Who ever said it was?
and to this day its followers getting involved in and starting wars.
Of course.
The problem is there's a whole lot of muslim bashing going on in the media
It depends on your definition of bashing.
and quite simply its not a one way street with muslims causing all the problems, most of the problems with muslims today are in direct result of a massive military overreaction by the western powers. Al queda has no one but Americans to thank for their wide spread popularity today, they were originally a fringe group with not even as much influence as fellow right wingers like Jerry Falwell.
I completely agree with this point.
purple planet wrote:if you are looking for curent attacks you can see the buddhist defence legue facebook page

:!: but caution this will cause you to feel ill-will :!:

its very graphic with strong images ! (at the moment theres a dead monk image) :!:

https://www.facebook.com/BuddhistDefenceLeague
Thank you for the link.
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Thank you for the link.

remember not to spend to much time on that page - its like anti-metta time there - i dont think you need yourself to see it - so maybe for your blog and thats it - and for other people just to get the general idea
mettafuture

Post by mettafuture »

purple planet wrote:
Thank you for the link.

remember not to spend to much time on that page - its like anti-metta time there - i dont think you need yourself to see it - so maybe for your blog and thats it - and for other people just to get the general idea
"anti-metta time." :lol: I've probably seen worse over the last few days; images of children raped and beheaded, etc. I have a strong stomach, and I don't think I've felt any hate during my research. I've tried to keep an even temper.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

One of the causes and conditions of being a Muslim, a Buddhist, a Christian, or an anything is being a human being subject to aging, sickness, and death. Without that cause, the others cease to exist. It's regretable that we first tend not to reconcile our disagreements based upon our common ground but rather based upon our differences.

Unfortunately, although this is true it is armchair philosophy. The reality on the ground is that if one is a Buddhist in Burma and one's relatives and friends are being murdered...well the results are there for all to see and ongoing.

May all beings be happy and free from suffering.

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

mettafuture wrote:I'm organizing all of these links into a blog on Muslim violence against Buddhists and Buddhist culture:
http://tmblr.co/ZG0pTx15hRKB5
Hi Mettafuture
What is the objective and expected results of your effort?
Will your effort improve the reconciliation between Buddhist and Muslims?

Violence first start at home, then to the schoolyard, working place, outside working place, village, town, province, country, world and universe (yet to come)
Violence are caused by all sort of discrimination, religion, cast, colour ,ethnic background, level of education, sex, wealth and many more.
Violence is caused due to attachment, aversion and ignorance.

Simply due to conceit (Mana)

Only way you can stop violence is by education.
:meditate:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

"We are all human"
HHDL nailed it and Zen Pencils has just illustrated it.

:namaste:
Kim
http://zenpencils.com/comic/143-the-dal ... an-beings/
Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

SarathW wrote:
mettafuture wrote:I'm organizing all of these links into a blog on Muslim violence against Buddhists and Buddhist culture:
http://tmblr.co/ZG0pTx15hRKB5
Hi Mettafuture
What is the objective and expected results of your effort?
Will your effort improve the reconciliation between Buddhist and Muslims?

Violence first start at home, then to the schoolyard, working place, outside working place, village, town, province, country, world and universe (yet to come)
Violence are caused by all sort of discrimination, religion, cast, colour ,ethnic background, level of education, sex, wealth and many more.
Violence is caused due to attachment, aversion and ignorance.

Simply due to conceit (Mana)

Only way you can stop violence is by education.
:meditate:
:goodpost:
Kim
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

Hi Kim :hello:

The image is not showing.

Education is vital as Sarath says. For instance it never ceases to amaze me how many people lump all Muslims together with the Wahhabist Middle Eastern variety. Place like Turkey and Indonesia don't seem to exist on their maps.

It is easy to have one pigeon-hole for Muslims, another for Buddhists, etc etc. But the reality is never this simple. Every situation has to be looked at carefully, with an open mind. Attachment to labels and filing vast diverse groups under the same category is not going to make this possible.

Keep open minds and open hearts, Friends. We are all human. "Muslim" is just a label, and in out next birth we might be carrying it.
_/|\_
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

"Out next birth we might be carrying it"

Thanks.
That is what I always think.
This morning there is Daddy Long Leg in my shower.
I start to wonder whether I could be one of them in my next birth!
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”