The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Re: The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Postby Justsit » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:11 pm

Re: your Wendy Wu comment - Major channel American TV is completely driven by corporate advertising. Show content is basically irrelevant, as long as the ads produce income, and ends up geared to the least common denominator. Marketing research guides every decision; this "science" is based on identifying specific demographics for targeting and is the basis for programming choices. "Asian American Buddhists" as a group does not even show up on their radar due to size, not ethnicity.

Public TV and the myriad local stations are different, however. You can see many well produced shows on PBS - Life of the Buddha aired here - and there are many programs geared towards various ethnic groups on local TV, especially in large cities.

But the main channels - that's where the big money rules.
Justsit
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Postby Aloka » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:29 pm

dhammafriend wrote:]
Who told you to watch sitcoms and movies? :shrug:


Nobody did - I was just saying that I don't watch American TV/sitcoms/ movies (or reality TV ) in response to you saying this:

I think it's safe to say that the American media / entertainment complex is the most far reaching on the planet. Millions of people all over the globe have been exposed to shows like Modern Family, Boardwalk Empire, Keeping up with the Kardashians etc


.
User avatar
Aloka
 
Posts: 3470
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Postby chownah » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:45 pm

Justsit wrote:Re: your Wendy Wu comment - Major channel American TV is completely driven by corporate advertising. Show content is basically irrelevant, as long as the ads produce income, and ends up geared to the least common denominator. Marketing research guides every decision; this "science" is based on identifying specific demographics for targeting and is the basis for programming choices. "Asian American Buddhists" as a group does not even show up on their radar due to size, not ethnicity.

Public TV and the myriad local stations are different, however. You can see many well produced shows on PBS - Life of the Buddha aired here - and there are many programs geared towards various ethnic groups on local TV, especially in large cities.

But the main channels - that's where the big money rules.

Great post!!!....and I would add that additionally non-Asian Americans are not particularly interested in seeing Buddhist depictions on TV....little market share demographics and little interest in general pretty much nixes most ideas from the advertiser's standpoint.
chownah
chownah
 
Posts: 2565
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Postby dhammafriend » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:14 pm

Nobody did - I was just saying that I don't watch American TV/sitcoms/ movies (or reality TV ) in response to you saying this:

So you are not one of those millions? OK then I think? :shrug:

Public TV and the myriad local stations are different, however. You can see many well produced shows on PBS - Life of the Buddha aired here - and there are many programs geared towards various ethnic groups on local TV, especially in large cities.

Thanks for this Justsit! Good post. :twothumbsup: I'm not completely convinced (no need to try either, I get what your saying). As I said earlier, what's not made visible can tell us a lot about what is. That goes for any society.

Just as an aside please check out these links and tell me what you think. Please read the tweets as well as the articles. Perhaps something a little deeper than economics?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/1 ... 34428.html

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/11/ ... st-tweets/

http://audreymagazine.com/extremely-rac ... -fallen-2/

Dhammafriend.
User avatar
dhammafriend
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:19 am

Re: The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Postby Justsit » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:35 pm

There is a very large segment of white America, primarily blue collar with low income and low education, who have always felt threatened by people of color. They, of course, would never admit this is fear driven - indeed, they may not even be aware of it - and their fear is inflamed by branches of media that produce income from that demographic. With the recession, loss of blue collar jobs, etc., this group is more and more disenfranchised, producing even greater fear that breeds hatred. And since American media also thrives on conflict, be it wars around the world, blue vs. red in politics, black vs. white, male vs. female, gay vs. straight, ad infinitum, they gleefully fire up any group that has a cause. They will broadcast on air, in print, or wherever, anything that sells.

America has a long and sordid history of prejudice and discrimination - Native Americans, Irish, Chinese, Japanese, Puerto Rican, Mexican, now Indian, each new wave of immigrants, anything "foreign," not-like-me. Nothing new here except the target.
Justsit
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Postby binocular » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:47 pm

dhammafriend wrote:
I think that pretty much the only reason why it could matter to one whether Buddhists (Asian American or any other) are adequately represented in the media is because one deep down isn't all that comfortable with being a Buddhist and/or isn't all that convinced about the efficacy of the Buddhist path.

Cannot agree. You are reaching here my friend. The fact that you came to that conclusion actually says a lot about what your assumptions are.

Then what alternative explanation do you have to offer for this interest in whether American mainstream media adequately represents Asian American Buddhists?
binocular
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Postby dhammafriend » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:59 pm

There is a very large segment of white America,...

Totally agree here, here in Southern Africa its actually getting worse between the black majority and the white minority who control all the wealth.
I think globally, we've got a lot of work to do. The problem is that race, gender, class, education all intersect to make these problems even more complex.
That's what gets me. :(

Then what alternative explanation do you have to offer...

Please read Justsit's last post as well as mine with the links. Thanks.

Dhammafriend
User avatar
dhammafriend
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:19 am

Re: The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Postby Mkoll » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:01 pm

dhammafriend wrote:Just as an aside please check out these links and tell me what you think. Please read the tweets as well as the articles. Perhaps something a little deeper than economics?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/1 ... 34428.html

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/11/ ... st-tweets/

http://audreymagazine.com/extremely-rac ... -fallen-2/

Dhammafriend.

I just glanced at the articles and they tell me this: I think those links are more indicative of the average intelligence and friendliness of people who use Twitter.

:lol:

Justsit wrote:And since American media also thrives on conflict, be it wars around the world, blue vs. red in politics, black vs. white, male vs. female, gay vs. straight, ad infinitum, they gleefully fire up any group that has a cause. They will broadcast on air, in print, or wherever, anything that sells.

America has a long and sordid history of prejudice and discrimination - Native Americans, Irish, Chinese, Japanese, Puerto Rican, Mexican, now Indian, each new wave of immigrants, anything "foreign," not-like-me. Nothing new here except the target.

QFT :thumbsup:
Peace,
James
User avatar
Mkoll
 
Posts: 2328
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Postby dhammafriend » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:25 pm

I just glanced at the articles and they tell me this: I think those links are more indicative of the average intelligence and friendliness of people who use Twitter.

:rofl:

Dhammafriend
User avatar
dhammafriend
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:19 am

Re: The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Postby binocular » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:53 pm

dhammafriend wrote:
Then what alternative explanation do you have to offer...

Please read Justsit's last post as well as mine with the links. Thanks.

I don't see what's your point.
Those links look like standard samsara. So?

I stand by what I said earlier.
binocular
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Postby Justsit » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:34 pm

Another perspective is that my post and the cited links both point to another reason why OP may be interested in this topic. That is, regarding issues of discrimination and prejudice. Perhaps not so much about comfort "... with being a Buddhist and/or isn't all that convinced about the efficacy of the Buddhist path."
Justsit
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Postby dhammafriend » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:21 pm

Justsit wrote:Another perspective is that my post and the cited links both point to another reason why OP may be interested in this topic. That is, regarding issues of discrimination and prejudice. Perhaps not so much about comfort "... with being a Buddhist and/or isn't all that convinced about the efficacy of the Buddhist path."

don't bother Justsit, binocular is not interested.
Binocular, we disagree on the subject, can we leave it at that? You've veered off topic onto personal comments about my practice and faith in the triple gem. All without actually knowing me. Let it go.

Dhammafriend
User avatar
dhammafriend
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:19 am

Re: The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Postby Justsit » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:41 pm

:anjali:
Justsit
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Postby binocular » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:54 am

Justsit wrote:Another perspective is that my post and the cited links both point to another reason why OP may be interested in this topic. That is, regarding issues of discrimination and prejudice. Perhaps not so much about comfort "... with being a Buddhist and/or isn't all that convinced about the efficacy of the Buddhist path."

If I would believe that liberation from suffering is to be found in democracy, egalitarianism and other such worldly pursuits, I would agree.
binocular
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Postby binocular » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:55 am

dhammafriend wrote:don't bother Justsit, binocular is not interested.

How dare you talk on my behalf?!

Binocular, we disagree on the subject, can we leave it at that? You've veered off topic onto personal comments about my practice and faith in the triple gem. All without actually knowing me. Let it go.

I am not going to defend things you merely imagine I said.
binocular
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Postby Justsit » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:09 pm

binocular wrote:
Justsit wrote:Another perspective is that my post and the cited links both point to another reason why OP may be interested in this topic. That is, regarding issues of discrimination and prejudice. Perhaps not so much about comfort "... with being a Buddhist and/or isn't all that convinced about the efficacy of the Buddhist path."

If I would believe that liberation from suffering is to be found in democracy, egalitarianism and other such worldly pursuits, I would agree.

The title of the thread is The Case of the Invisible Buddhist, not The Efficacy of the Buddhist Path. No one asserted that liberation is found in democracy.
So you can safely agree now.. :smile:
Justsit
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Postby dhammafriend » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:15 pm

If I would believe that liberation from suffering is to be found in democracy, egalitarianism and other such worldly pursuits, I would agree.

Freedom from racism, oppression, respecting the 'other' - these are all worth working skillfully towards. Rejecting the suffering of other beings is in my view cruel and callous. The attitude quoted above can only result when the Dhamma has been so distorted that it no longer resembles the teaching of the Maha Karunika. Do you know who that is? It's an epithet of our Teacher. Gotama Buddha. It means greatly compassionate. I recommend you please go read up on his Nine Qualities.

Monks, there is one person whose arising in the world is for the welfare of the multitude, for the
happiness of the multitude, who comes out of compassion for the world, for the good, welfare
and happiness of devas and humans. Who is that one person? It is the Tathāgata, the Arahant,
the Fully Enlightened One. This is that one person.


Anguttara Nikaya - Book of Ones


Dhammafriend
Last edited by David N. Snyder on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: removed inappropriate language
User avatar
dhammafriend
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:19 am

Re: The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Postby binocular » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:46 pm

...
binocular
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Previous

Return to Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests