The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
dhammafriend

The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Post by dhammafriend »

I think it's safe to say that the American media / entertainment complex is the most far reaching on the planet. Millions of people all over the globe have been exposed to shows like Modern Family, Boardwalk Empire, Keeping up with the Kardashians etc. What I've found particularly interesting in American television shows / sitcoms is the representation Asian Americans & religion. Although Asian Americans are a bit better represented than 10 years ago they are often culturally, virtually indistinguishable from anyone else represented. Having read up a bit on the history of Buddhism in the USA and just how long its actually been practiced there it amazes me that it's virtually invisible in Media representation (entertainment).

For example: You could have a show set in New York or wherever that depicts people of the a Jewish faith as supporting or main characters. Why haven't I seen a show say maybe set in California with a family who's neighbor is perhaps a Japanese Buddhist priest? Or an Asian American hipster chick who happens to be a Vietnamese Buddhist.

When issues of 'diversity' come up in US TV shows it's usually the Jewish faith that becomes the stand in for the multi-faith / multi-cultural 'lesson'. Are there any shows like that that I'm not aware of? Or are dharmic traditions still regarded as un-American, suspicious and alien?

A few years ago I stopped on our version of the Disney channel and sat through a TV movie called Wendy Wu. It depicted a Chinese American family going through an identity crisis of sorts when a cousin of the title character pitches up from China to teach her martial arts. (the cousin is a monk with a pony tail) I found the film a bit racist & offensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wendy ... ng_Warrior

In my country we have representation of one particular Dharmic faith throughout or media. We have them depicted in TV serials, soaps, etc as fully formed characters. Is Wendy Wu really the best American media has to offer Asian American Buddhists? Or are they not American enough to warrant representation? Any thoughts?

Dhammafriend
Metta
Dhammafriend

Natthi me saranam annam buddho me saranam varam
For me there is no other refuge, the Buddha is my excellent refuge.
Etena saccavajjena vaddheyyam satthu-sasane
By the utterance of this truth, may I grow in the Master’s Way.
chownah

Re: The Case of the Invisible Buddhist

Post by chownah »

On Thai TV usually the characters are not depicted as Buddhist at least not by any of their actions......you might see a shrine here or there but then again usually you do not. Buddhism is boring relative to other tv fare...it doesn't add much to a plot.....I think that when most Thai people think of emotional or interpersonal situations they do not think about Buddhism....I think the same thing can be said about Christians which is why in the US you don't see much reference to the characters being Christians or Buddhists.....it doesn't connect with the audience very well.
chownah
dhammafriend

Post by dhammafriend »

Thanks for that bit of info Chownah, it makes sense, but my questions revolve around identity, visibility and representation of Asian American Buddhists in contemporary US entertainment media. Have you ever wondered why you hardly see characters of Native American descent in US TV shows? It's just that I wonder about these things sometimes. My impression (based on my limited exposure I will admit) is that some Americans seem virtually invisible. It's just an observation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_i ... t_Buddhism

Dhammafriend
Metta
Dhammafriend

Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Or are they not American enough to warrant representation?
More or less.

I agree with your point that the media portrayal of minorities is generally lacking. The heroes in our movies and TV shows are usually white males.

I'm an Asian-American myself: my mother is Chinese and my father is White-Caucasian. I've lived in the United States my entire life. I was teased in elementary and middle school for looking Asian and always felt like an outsider; this was in a virtually all white and Christian town in Illinois. But I was never physically bullied. Regardless, I had identity issues for during my school years in middle and high school. To be honest, I had identity issues until I became a Buddhist. Then everything fell into place.

Now that I'm older, I've studied history, and I have the benefit of hindsight, the American media's portrayal of minorities seems par for the course. We Americans are as we are.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
dhammafriend

Post by dhammafriend »

More or less.
Sh*t, thats sad. Thanks for sharing Mkoll. I was bullied a bit in school too but I use it now as a dhamma lesson in compassion. Where I live we are currently being swamped with US TV programming, so along with that I just ended up with loads of questions of what I was seeing. Its basically Asian women are 'exotic and desirable', Asian men are the villians or non threatening geeks. That sucks.

Also, blatant racism towards Asians still seems to be socially acceptable there. Have you been to the blogs Angry Asian Buddhist and Angry Tibetan Girl?
Some posts there really opened my eyes.

angrytibetangirl.tumblr.com/

www.angryasianbuddhist.com/

Dhammafriend
Metta
Dhammafriend

binocular

Post by binocular »

I suppose a Buddhist programme would go something similarly like this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8KQv7kZatQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkKLwguues8
This above is about/from the Hare Krishnas.
Requires a lot of knowledge of specific terminology and iconography. Without knowing all that, it's probably impossible to watch and is dull.

I think a Buddhist programme would "have" the same problem: it would require such specific knowledge that it would be unwatchable for those who don't have it, which is the majority of people in the US and Europe and in many other countries.

Although I'm curious whether something similar was done by a Buddhist about Buddhism, something like a tv-programme version of Dharma the Cat http://www.mahabodhi.net/dcat/.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
suttametta

Post by suttametta »

dhammafriend wrote:I think it's safe to say that the American media / entertainment complex is the most far reaching on the planet. Millions of people all over the globe have been exposed to shows like Modern Family, Boardwalk Empire, Keeping up with the Kardashians etc. What I've found particularly interesting in American television shows / sitcoms is the representation Asian Americans & religion. Although Asian Americans are a bit better represented than 10 years ago they are often culturally, virtually indistinguishable from anyone else represented. Having read up a bit on the history of Buddhism in the USA and just how long its actually been practiced there it amazes me that it's virtually invisible in Media representation (entertainment).

For example: You could have a show set in New York or wherever that depicts people of the a Jewish faith as supporting or main characters. Why haven't I seen a show say maybe set in California with a family who's neighbor is perhaps a Japanese Buddhist priest? Or an Asian American hipster chick who happens to be a Vietnamese Buddhist.

When issues of 'diversity' come up in US TV shows it's usually the Jewish faith that becomes the stand in for the multi-faith / multi-cultural 'lesson'. Are there any shows like that that I'm not aware of? Or are dharmic traditions still regarded as un-American, suspicious and alien?

A few years ago I stopped on our version of the Disney channel and sat through a TV movie called Wendy Wu. It depicted a Chinese American family going through an identity crisis of sorts when a cousin of the title character pitches up from China to teach her martial arts. (the cousin is a monk with a pony tail) I found the film a bit racist & offensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wendy ... ng_Warrior

In my country we have representation of one particular Dharmic faith throughout or media. We have them depicted in TV serials, soaps, etc as fully formed characters. Is Wendy Wu really the best American media has to offer Asian American Buddhists? Or are they not American enough to warrant representation? Any thoughts?

Dhammafriend
Watching a show like "Vampire Diaries" killing, adultery, etc., is laudable, and when it's not lauded, it's accepted as normal. American media is a psy-op to condition people against love and compassion. If one watches too much American media one will become jaded, cold and uncaring about others and will celebrate when they are treated with cruelty. If one is a real dhamma man and cares about kamma, one should not watch American television. I live in California and I know how this culture is. People hate one another while pretending to be "nice."
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

suttametta wrote:People hate one another while pretending to be "nice."
That may be the case for some people but to apply that as a hasty generalization to everyone is going too far, IMO. Cynicism hurts oneself and others; I say this based on my own experience of practicing it for years. The very views one holds about others can burn oneself.

~

dhammafriend,

Please don't get the impression that I think Americans are generally racist or that I think ill of Americans. It's just that the media skews everything and is corrupt in so many ways. It's a complex situation based in part on a complex history that I don't have the required knowledge to elucidate upon.
suttametta

Post by suttametta »

Mkoll wrote:
suttametta wrote:People hate one another while pretending to be "nice."
That may be the case for some people but to apply that as a hasty generalization to everyone is going too far, IMO. Cynicism hurts oneself and others; I say this based on my own experience of practicing it for years. The very views one holds about others can burn oneself.
Yes. Very good point. Oh, but no one has gotten rid of ill will. Samsara people have it big. In the US the competitive social structure breeds it in. Of course, I can't say "everyone" but its a bad problem.
dhammafriend

Post by dhammafriend »

...Please don't get the impression that I think Americans are generally racist...
Thanks Mkoll, thats not the impression you gave, so no worries. Thanks for being so honest though. I just think issues of representation of POC in US entertainment media is very interesting and worth exploring. (not directly related to Dhamma I know but it will become an issue as Dhamma communities of colour grow.)
Watching a show like "Vampire Diaries" killing, adultery,...
I totally agree Suttametta, lots of anti-dhamma content to get hooked on in American TV. But that's kind of universal at this point. We should never stop critiquing what we are exposed to though. That way we can stay on top of the BS and see how it negatively affects us.
I suppose a Buddhist programme would go something similarly like this -...
I Binocular, I never actually thought of this actually. My post was more about representation of Americans who are kind of 'invisible' as far as pop culture goes.
They do exist, they are neighbors, co-workers, friends, but are non-existent as characters on TV etc. Have another read through my OP and if you'd like tell me what you think.

Thanks all for the posts. :smile:
Dhammafriend
Metta
Dhammafriend

Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

it shouldn,t be any surprise that Buddhists are non-existent on mainstream TV networks whose broadcasts are concerned with satire, sex, violence, drugs and rock'n'roll

Buddhists just wouldn't be 'fashionable' enough would they?? :zzz:
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
Justsit

Post by Justsit »

Anyone remember this? Ran in prime time on American TV, 1972-1975, and was well received. Geared more toward martial arts, and maybe not the most accurate portrayals, but definitely brought Eastern spirituality into mainstream consciousness.

m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

In america, minorities get respect to the degree that they can:

1. Affect the economic health with their buying choices.

2. Disrupt trade (protests, sit ins etc)

Thats one of the reasons that this insulting racial caricature survives into the 21st century

So unless there are enough offended viewers to affect the sale of goods, the misrepresentation is likely to continue.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
binocular

Post by binocular »

dhammafriend wrote:I Binocular, I never actually thought of this actually. My post was more about representation of Americans who are kind of 'invisible' as far as pop culture goes.
They do exist, they are neighbors, co-workers, friends, but are non-existent as characters on TV etc. Have another read through my OP and if you'd like tell me what you think.
Sure. I think that Buddhist characters, in order to pass for acceptable characters on tv, have to be quite simplified, sometimes almost caricaturized.

But off the top of my head I can think of some (somewhat) Buddhist characters in some mainstream American programmes and films:

Steven Seagal in at least one of his characteristic roles as villainous good guy is sometimes wearing Tibetan Buddhist prayer beads and talks a bit about Buddhism. (But I really couldn't remember which film, because they all look the same to me, sorry.)

In the series Life the main character has adopted a Zen Buddhist outlook. There is some reflection throughout the series on how he practices this outlook and what difficulties he has.

In the film Anger management with Jack NIcholson, there's a caricatured scene about Buddhism.

Anna and the King has scenes with Theravadin Buddhists, and a (westernized?) love story between a nun and a monk.

In What's Love Got to Do with It there are scenes of Tina Turner performing some Buddhist practices and some commentary on it as to what this religion meant to her.

- - -
kitztack wrote:it shouldn,t be any surprise that Buddhists are non-existent on mainstream TV networks whose broadcasts are concerned with satire, sex, violence, drugs and rock'n'roll

Buddhists just wouldn't be 'fashionable' enough would they??
Actually, I think Buddhism is very fashionable - as long as it remains superficial, and/or focuses only on those aspects of Buddhism that modern Western culture doesn't consider controversial.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

binocular wrote:
- - -
kitztack wrote:it shouldn,t be any surprise that Buddhists are non-existent on mainstream TV networks whose broadcasts are concerned with satire, sex, violence, drugs and rock'n'roll

Buddhists just wouldn't be 'fashionable' enough would they??
Actually, I think Buddhism is very fashionable - as long as it remains superficial, and/or focuses only on those aspects of Buddhism that modern Western culture doesn't consider controversial.

true, i forgot abot Lisa becoming Buddhist in the Simpsons after she turned vegetatian :smile:

Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28