The Grind and the Cushion

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
beingnobody

The Grind and the Cushion

Post by beingnobody »

I've recently taken up a very high-pressure job that requires me to put in a whole lot of hours to get things done. Meanwhile, I'm looking to make Buddhism an even deeper part of my life. I'll start meditating regularly soon (I've already begun doing so, irregularly, for the first time in years) and hopefully follow the five precepts as closely as I can. It's difficult to remember to distance myself from thinking the job is "mine," that it's a part of who I am. Also, the fear of losing my job occupies way too much of my mental and emotional energy at this point. I suppose for now I must deepen my practice, remain mindful, and live slowly.

Just venting. Thank you for listening. :namaste:
Feathers

Re: The Grind and the Cushion

Post by Feathers »

I sympathise, I also just last week started a job with a long commute and a lot to learn. It's hard to find time for anything except work and sleep, and very hard to keep any sort of equanimity! I am trying to do a little discrete metta on the train in the morning, maybe you can find ways of slipping little bits of practice into your routine?
beingnobody

Post by beingnobody »

Fathers, that is exactly what I've been doing. I ride a tuk tuk to work and sit in the back, concentrating on my breath, being mindful of my thoughts, not grasping... and when matters of work arise in my mind, as the tuk tuk sways through traffic, I drop those too, and allow myself to be detached from it. I am not my job, I am not my job title, that stuff is no more "mine" than my decaying body, there is no mine...
suttametta

Post by suttametta »

beingnobody wrote:I've recently taken up a very high-pressure job that requires me to put in a whole lot of hours to get things done. Meanwhile, I'm looking to make Buddhism an even deeper part of my life. I'll start meditating regularly soon (I've already begun doing so, irregularly, for the first time in years) and hopefully follow the five precepts as closely as I can. It's difficult to remember to distance myself from thinking the job is "mine," that it's a part of who I am. Also, the fear of losing my job occupies way too much of my mental and emotional energy at this point. I suppose for now I must deepen my practice, remain mindful, and live slowly.

Just venting. Thank you for listening. :namaste:
Sure its a part of you. You have parts, that the point. No part is all you; you are not the parts; but you are not different from them either... there's no real you...