And therefore, God does not exist!

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

And therefore, God does not exist!

Postby binocular » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:42 pm

From http://www.tektonics.org/guest/300proof.html :

COSMOLOGICAL ARGUMENT
If I say something doesn’t have a cause, it doesn’t have a cause.
I say the universe doesn’t have a cause.
Therefore, the universe doesn’t have a cause.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (I)
I define God to be X.
Since I cannot conceive of X, X must not exist.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (II)
I can’t conceive of a perfect God.
One of the qualities of perfection is existence.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

MODAL ONTOLOGICAL ARGUMENT
God doesn’t exist.
God, if existing, is either necessary or unnecessary.
God is not necessary, therefore God must be unnecessary.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

ARGUMENT FROM LACK OF MIRACLES (I)
My aunt had cancer.
The doctors gave her all these horrible treatments.
My aunt prayed to God, but she died from her cancer anyway.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

MORAL ARGUMENT (I)
Person X, a well-known theist, was morally inferior to the rest of us.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

MORAL ARGUMENT (II)
In my younger days I thought I was religious.
Now I’m a cursing, drinking, smoking, gambling, child-molesting, thieving, murdering, atheist jerk.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

ARGUMENT FROM LACK OF FEAR
If God exists then I’m going to Hell.
I’m not afraid of Hell. New Jersey is much worse.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

ARGUMENT FROM THE BIBLE
[Arbitrary passage from OT]
[Arbitrary passage from NT]
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

ARGUMENT FROM INTELLIGENCE
Look, there's really no point in me trying to explain the whole thing to you stupid theists -- it's too complicated for you to understand. God doesn’t exist whether you like it or not.
Therefore, doesn’t God exist.

ARGUMENT FROM UNINTELLIGENCE
Okay, I don't pretend to be as intelligent as you guys -- you're obviously very well read. But I read the Skeptics Annotated Bible, and nothing you say can convince me that God exists. I don’t feel him in my heart, and you are lying when you say you can feel him and see him working in your life. John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son into the world, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish from the earth?" That just proves what a evil, sadistic loser your God is.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

ARGUMENT FROM LACK OF BELIEF
If God exists, then I should believe in Him.
I don’t believe in God.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

ARGUMENT FROM INTIMIDATION
See my fist?
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

PARENTAL ARGUMENT
My mommy and daddy told me that God doesn’t exist.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

ARGUMENT FROM INTERNET AUTHORITY
There is a website that successfully argues for the non-existence of God.
Here is the URL.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

ARGUMENT FROM INCOMPREHENSIBILITY
Flabble glurk zoom boink blubba snurgleschnortz ping!
No one has ever refuted 1.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

ARGUMENT FROM FALLIBILITY
Human reasoning is inherently flawed.
Therefore, there is no reasonable way to challenge a proposition.
I propose that God doesn’t exist.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

ARGUMENT FROM SMUGNESS
God doesn’t exist.
I don't give a crap whether you believe it or not; I have better things to do than to try to convince you morons.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

ARGUMENT FROM MANIFESTATIONS
People who see images of bearded faces or virgins in things like tortillas are fruitcakes and represent the whole of theism.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

ARGUMENT FROM COMPLETE DEVASTATION
A plane crashed killing all 143 passengers and crew.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

ARGUMENT FROM INCOHERENT BABBLE
See that person spazzing on the church floor babbling incoherently?
That represents theism as a whole.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

ARGUMENT FROM PAROCHIALISM
God is supposedly everywhere.
I haven’t personally seen God.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

ARGUMENT FROM INFINITE REGRESS
Ask theists how the universe came to be.
Regardless of their answer, ask how they know this.
Continue process until the theist admits he doesn't know the answer to one of your questions.
You win!
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

ARGUMENT FROM INEVITABILITY
I have proof that God doesn’t exist.
I won't bother to tell you what it is because, being theists, you would be hostile to the conclusion anyway.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

DISPROOF BY ANECDOTE
Those who believe in God say they can see Him.
If God exists, then He must be seen by everyone.
I haven’t seen God.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.
binocular
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: And therefore, God does not exist!

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:48 pm

I think that is meant to be satirical (?) because those are very poor arguments. I'll stick with Bertrand Russell.
User avatar
David N. Snyder
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8035
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: And therefore, God does not exist!

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:52 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:I think that is meant to be satirical (?) because those are very poor arguments. I'll stick with Bertrand Russell.
Russell good; the above, not so much.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
User avatar
tiltbillings
 
Posts: 19366
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: And therefore, God does not exist!

Postby binocular » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:01 pm

Russell's arguments are good??
Eh?
binocular
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: And therefore, God does not exist!

Postby Modus.Ponens » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:43 pm

Well, I was writing devil's advocate arguments (actualy, god's advocate, which is far worse ;) ) until I reached the New Jersey one.

Properties of god:

1- Creator
2- All loving
3- All knowing
4- All powerful
5- Supreme Infinite

Properties 3 to 5 are self contradictory:

5- Take that infinite, form the set of all subsets of god. Its size is bigger. Contradiction. (If god was undivisable, all possible infinite array of gods would have a bigger size than god)

4- He can't create an object so heavy that even he can't lift. Contradiction.

3- He can't create a puzzle that even he can't solve. Contradiction.

Property 2 contradicts observation:

2- If he doesn't intervene to eliminate people's suffering, he is not all loving.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
User avatar
Modus.Ponens
 
Posts: 1982
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:38 am
Location: Funchal, Portugal

Re: And therefore, God does not exist!

Postby Feathers » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:46 pm

The OP is definitely satirical, its spoofing common arguments FOR the existence of god . . . presumably with the intent of showing how flimsy they are?
Feathers
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:14 pm

Re: And therefore, God does not exist!

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:29 pm

Feathers wrote:The OP is definitely satirical, its spoofing common arguments FOR the existence of god . . . presumably with the intent of showing how flimsy they are?
Or maybe she trying very hard to beat up arguments against the idea of a god.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
User avatar
tiltbillings
 
Posts: 19366
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: And therefore, God does not exist!

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:32 pm

Greetings,

ARGUMENT FROM INTIMIDATION
See my fist?
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

PARENTAL ARGUMENT
My mommy and daddy told me that God doesn’t exist.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.

:rofl:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)


Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7


Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
User avatar
retrofuturist
Site Admin
 
Posts: 14651
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: And therefore, God does not exist!

Postby Kare » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:22 am

Let me recommend a serious Buddhist study of this subject:

Gunapala Dharmasiri: A Buddhist Critique of the Christian Concept of God, Colombo 1974

Abe Books offers some used copies:

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/a ... ri/page-1/
Mettāya,
Kåre
User avatar
Kare
 
Posts: 682
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:58 am
Location: Norway

Re: And therefore, God does not exist!

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:44 am

Ah yes, it is a spoof of the theistic "arguments":

http://sdhammika.blogspot.com/2011/03/l ... ology.html
User avatar
David N. Snyder
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8035
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:15 am
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: And therefore, God does not exist!

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:27 am

David N. Snyder wrote:Ah yes, it is a spoof of the theistic "arguments":

http://sdhammika.blogspot.com/2011/03/l ... ology.html

No need for the inverted commas, David - they really are arguments, even if they are mostly pretty poor arguments.

:coffee:
Kim
User avatar
Kim OHara
 
Posts: 3046
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: And therefore, God does not exist!

Postby binocular » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:14 am

tiltbillings wrote:
Feathers wrote:The OP is definitely satirical, its spoofing common arguments FOR the existence of god . . . presumably with the intent of showing how flimsy they are?
Or maybe she trying very hard to beat up arguments against the idea of a god.

Yeah, beating up _lame_ arguments against the idea of God.
binocular
 
Posts: 1351
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: And therefore, God does not exist!

Postby lyndon taylor » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:19 am

Maybe the best way to prove there isn't a God is to live a better life and be a better person than the ones that have the strong belief in God, if you're not accomplishing that, your arguement is weak at best........

The buddha never made a blanket denial of any kind of God, in fact quite the opposite, He only denied that there is a God matching the characteristics outlined in Judeo Christian religion.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community that has so generously given me so much, sincerely former monk John
User avatar
lyndon taylor
 
Posts: 860
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 11:41 pm
Location: Redlands, Southern California, USA

Re: And therefore, God does not exist!

Postby cooran » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:05 am

Hello all,

"Buddhism and the God Idea" by Nyanaponika Thera
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... didea.html

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
User avatar
cooran
 
Posts: 7510
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:32 pm
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: And therefore, God does not exist!

Postby lyndon taylor » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:13 am

My belief in a non creator God is pretty much summed up in the Tao te Ching, as the TAO, I don't think it contradicts anything outlined by the Buddha, after all he affirmed the existence of the Deity Brahma, he just denied that he was the creator, perfect, or unchangingly eternal......

On another forum someone proposed that the Tao might be synonymous with Emptiness, its a little over my head as to just what emptiness is, but its one possibility.
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community that has so generously given me so much, sincerely former monk John
User avatar
lyndon taylor
 
Posts: 860
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 11:41 pm
Location: Redlands, Southern California, USA

Re: And therefore, God does not exist!

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:33 am

binocular wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:
Feathers wrote:The OP is definitely satirical, its spoofing common arguments FOR the existence of god . . . presumably with the intent of showing how flimsy they are?
Or maybe she trying very hard to beat up arguments against the idea of a god.

Yeah, beating up _lame_ arguments against the idea of God.
And not touching, of course, those arguments that are not "lame."
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
User avatar
tiltbillings
 
Posts: 19366
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: And therefore, God does not exist!

Postby Spiny Norman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:46 am

binocular wrote:ARGUMENT FROM LACK OF FEAR
If God exists then I’m going to Hell.
I’m not afraid of Hell. New Jersey is much worse.
Therefore, God doesn’t exist.


:jumping:
User avatar
Spiny Norman
 
Posts: 2448
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: With the cockney chimney-sweeps in Mary Poppins

Re: And therefore, God does not exist!

Postby Coyote » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:01 am

tiltbillings wrote:And not touching, of course, those arguments that are not "lame."


What arguments would you consider not "lame"?
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Coyote
 
Posts: 537
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:42 pm
Location: Wales - UK

Re: And therefore, God does not exist!

Postby rowboat » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:55 am

What arguments would you consider not "lame"?


One of the brightest Christian Apologists is named William Lane Craig. Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Lawrence Krauss, many others, all have lost debates with Craig. Richard Dawkins once issued a challenge but then quickly thought better of it. In response to Dawkins, Craig decided to challenge Dawkins himself by inviting him to debate "The God Delusion" at Oxford's Sheldonian Theatre. Dawkins decided not to attend so WLC addressed an empty chair in his place.



William Lane Craig debates Lawrence Krauss:

Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
User avatar
rowboat
 
Posts: 430
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:31 am
Location: Brentwood Bay, British Columbia

Re: And therefore, God does not exist!

Postby Modus.Ponens » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:31 pm

rowboat wrote:
What arguments would you consider not "lame"?


One of the brightest Christian Apologists is named William Lane Craig. Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Lawrence Krauss, many others, all have lost debates with Craig. Richard Dawkins once issued a challenge but then quickly thought better of it. In response to Dawkins, Craig decided to challenge Dawkins himself by inviting him to debate "The God Delusion" at Oxford's Sheldonian Theatre. Dawkins decided not to attend so WLC addressed an empty chair in his place.


I saw that guy debating before. Therefore I really, really doubt that giants like Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris refused to debate him _ a mildly intelligent christian.

The god notion is silly. We only think it's normal because we are used to hear it.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"
User avatar
Modus.Ponens
 
Posts: 1982
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:38 am
Location: Funchal, Portugal

Next

Return to Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests