And therefore, God does not exist!

A place to discuss casual topics amongst spiritual friends.
Shaswata_Panja

Re: And therefore, God does not exist!

Post by Shaswata_Panja »

God may exist and maynot....God may answer your prayers and maynot..I have heard and seen too many conflicting testimonies to be sure about it....

Work hard, be disciplined, be celibate (it helps but itsnot a must), and focus,focus, focus...donot get distracted in mindless things...that way you can build up your material and spiritual prosperity and build a good life for yourself

I am happy with that much
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

kitztack wrote:indeed the Sangha is very useful for those fortunate enough to have access one. However the community follows the teaching, the teaching doesnt change to accomadate different member. when this occurs new traditions and religions are formed.
I think that Binocular's point was that if you are isolated and don't have a community of some sort (not necessarily physical) then selective interpretation can be a problem.

:anjali:
Mike
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

mikenz66 wrote:
kitztack wrote:indeed the Sangha is very useful for those fortunate enough to have access one. However the community follows the teaching, the teaching doesnt change to accomadate different member. when this occurs new traditions and religions are formed.
I think that Binocular's point was that if you are isolated and don't have a community of some sort (not necessarily physical) then selective interpretation can be a problem.

:anjali:
Mike
indeed, a reason why Dhammawheel is so valuable.
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

mikenz66 wrote:
A community can present its own set of horrifying problems.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Sherab

Post by Sherab »

Here's a pretty good video that is relevant to this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew_cNONhhKI
alan

Post by alan »

I think it comes down to psychology. Those who insist on God feel the need for absolute authority, and will not let pesky things like facts or rational thought get in their way. They're basically fearful.
No surprise to see that most authority-seekers are also conservatives politically.
chownah

Post by chownah »

alan wrote:I think it comes down to psychology. Those who insist on God feel the need for absolute authority, and will not let pesky things like facts or rational thought get in their way. They're basically fearful.
No surprise to see that most authority-seekers are also conservatives politically.
Interesting post......replace "God" with "rebirth" and I think it still makes sense.
chownah
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

chownah wrote:
alan wrote:I think it comes down to psychology. Those who insist on God feel the need for absolute authority, and will not let pesky things like facts or rational thought get in their way. They're basically fearful.
Interesting post......replace "God" with "rebirth" and I think it still makes sense.
chownah
That would be assuming that rebirth is a comforting thing, and assuming that politically conservative folks are partial to rebirth.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
alan

Post by alan »

Comfort is what they want. That desire overrides reason. They're comforted by authority (as long as it isn't a black President). Change in the existing social structure is what they fear, they are driven to ridiculous positions to avoid it.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Comfort is what they want. That desire overrides reason. They're comforted by authority (as long as it isn't a black President). Change in the existing social structure is what they fear, they are driven to ridiculous positions to avoid it.
Rebirth is not comforting nor a ridiculous position within a Buddhist context.

alan

Post by alan »

Of course not, but that was not was I was saying.
cooran

Post by cooran »

Rebirth is scary and not comforting. I would much rather that " I " was annihilated at death. But I have to work with things as they really are.... Kamma and Rebirth.

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

alan wrote:Of course not, but that was not was I was saying.
So, what were you saying?

Dan Rooney

Post by Dan Rooney »

I think it comes down to psychology. Those who insist on God feel the need for absolute authority, and will not let pesky things like facts or rational thought get in their way. They're basically fearful.

Comfort is what they want. That desire overrides reason. They're comforted by authority (as long as it isn't a black President). Change in the existing social structure is what they fear, they are driven to ridiculous positions to avoid it.
The world does not end at the borders of the United States. If you head south, you'll find priests who are the polar opposite of what you seem to imagine Christians to be and if you head east you can find monks who are among the most blindly faithfully, wildly superstitious, reactionary, conservative people you could ever hope to meet.

Really, this is a Buddhist forum so it can probably be taken as read that you don't spend your evenings worrying over the finer points of Scholasticism but is it really necessary to engage in god-bashing from the comfort of a forum like this? You don't believe in God. Fine. Why not leave it there? This kind of my-one's-bigger-than-yours. Sorry, my-one's-more-rational-than-yours grandstanding is seriously lacking in grace.
chownah

Post by chownah »

cooran wrote:Rebirth is scary and not comforting. I would much rather that " I " was annihilated at death. But I have to work with things as they really are.... Kamma and Rebirth.

With metta,
Chris
cooran,
In another thread (perhaps the rebirth debate) some posters or at least one expressed that for them rebirth was comforting in that they saw annihilation as the alternative.....before they were Buddhist they were worried about annihilation at death and now they are comforted because they believe in rebirth and they don't worry about being annihilated.
chownah