Seeking advice on cushions for poor leg circulation

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Seeking advice on cushions for poor leg circulation

Postby rowboat » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:03 pm

Hello, friends. I've gained some weight and I am now having circulation problems in my legs such that I have to sit in my reading chair and prop up my back to remain upright because of the style of chair. The situation is far from ideal. If I sit on the floor my legs fall extremely asleep and the recovery period is very uncomfortable. I am thinking of buying (or perhaps making) a meditation cushion of the style seen below and wonder if anyone has had a similar experience with good results. Any other strategies I am not aware of? Thanks!

:anjali:

Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
rowboat

Re: Seeking advice on cushions for poor leg circulation

Postby Mkoll » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:07 pm

I posted this in another thread but this might help. I totally understand the extreme uncomfortableness of the legs falling asleep; that happens to me too.

Mkoll said in another thread... wrote:I've got all sorts of old injuries that cause pain so I often sit in a chair. I usually get back pain sitting in a regular chair after about 45 minutes. I use this thing called a tilt-seat which is basically a backless chair with the seat inclined forward. It puts the hips above the knees and helps the sacrum tilt forward. It's kind of like a meditation cushion, only a chair. It's ridiculously overpriced but you only need one. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard for a skilled woodworker to make if that's your thing.

But if you have no problems with pain sitting in a regular chair, stick with that. As culaavuso said, it's ultimately the mind that's doing the work.
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby rowboat » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:26 pm

That is an excellent page, thank-you very much. The Kneel-sit chair looks great. I'd like to try that. And perhaps a low bench.

Ud 5.5
rowboat

Postby Goofaholix » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:31 pm

I've always found when I have circulation problems it's either because the cushion is too hard, or the trousers too tight.

The cushion in the photo looks like 5 star accomodation but I'd recommend trying a stack of softer cushions (maybe pillows), or looser trousers, or both first.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby daverupa » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:57 pm

While you're at it, perhaps investigate recumbent chairs that have knee rests. These can offer good support and leg relaxation as well.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby rowboat » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:50 am

Thank-you, Goofaholix and Daverupa. I'm keeping your suggestions in mind while I look into this.

Ud 5.5
rowboat

Postby sattva » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:55 am

Before you do anything I would see a doctor and make sure that your circulation problems aren't related to any underlying conditions such as blocked arteries or veins, or retention of fluid in your lower extremities. Others have offered good advice. I have only recently begun to meditate again on cushions. I, too, have circulation problems. For this reason, after years of sitting in half-lotus, ill health has made that impossible. I am sitting in traditional cross-legged style, no lotuses anymore and I change positions whenever it feels like pressure, pain, or numbness is occurring. I have a stent in my left groin area and a bypass near my left ankle. My right leg also has circulation problems, as well. I don't want to take any chance of making the situation worse. The tilt chair looks interesting and I have used an ergonomic chair in the past, but if you are experiencing any swelling in the legs, having your legs dangle or in one position too long could prove a problem. Hope this is not the case and that you are just causing a nerve to "fall asleep." That can be related to just the way your body is lined up, trying a higher or lower cushion or moving forward or back on the cushion could help with that, too.
sattva

Postby rowboat » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:36 am

Thank-you, Sattva. It's good advice. Fortunately my problem is due only to the fact that lately I am a lot heavier than usual, so I am really pressing on those nerves.

Ud 5.5
rowboat

Return to Lounge