Danish Giraffe Slaughter

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Danish Giraffe Slaughter

Postby plwk » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:29 pm

A second Danish zoo has said it may have to put down one of its giraffes, despite a storm of protest after a similar move by Copenhagen Zoo.
More here

Online petition here
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Re: Danish Giraffe Slaughter

Postby plwk » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:32 pm

Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby Crazy cloud » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:17 pm

signed and shared on fb - thanks for the opportunity :)

Be well
your name Mori means forest like the infinite fresh green distances of your blindness
Crazy cloud

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:34 pm

Aren't lions carnivores? What is the alternative? Feed them green beans? If they are not fed giraffe, they will be fed cows or pigs. What is the difference?

Sure giraffes are cuter, but that is subjective.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby daverupa » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:40 pm

David N. Snyder wrote:What is the difference?

Unexamined personal preferences, projection of human-esque attributes & values onto one animal group and not another, thinking that one's subjective sense of cute/likeable/etc. animals is valid for determining one's ethical behaviors, habitually killed animals involve a different ethic than animals one doesn't hear about as often, the idea that certain animals are worth keeping alive irrespective of contextual ecological situations, and so forth, I expect.

It's complicated, being consistent...
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby rowboat » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:35 am

daverupa: Unexamined personal preferences, projection of human-esque attributes & values onto one animal group and not another, thinking that one's subjective sense of cute/likeable/etc. animals is valid for determining one's ethical behaviors, habitually killed animals involve a different ethic than animals one doesn't hear about as often, the idea that certain animals are worth keeping alive irrespective of contextual ecological situations, and so forth, I expect.

No doubt it's all of the above. Also I imagine there is some cognitive dissonance over the fact they are carrying out the killing at the zoo itself. A zoo could be thought of as a collection of living dioramas, yes, but zoos, for the general public, are taken to be a sort of refuge for exotic and endangered animals. So there's that. My cynical view is that its a PR stunt meant to draw attention and increase traffic to the venue. A glance at my news feed just now - it appears what is, I suppose, the other zoo in Denmark is now going to kill one of their own giraffes.

Note: There appears to be a scarcity of giraffe-related puns.
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
rowboat

Postby chownah » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:57 am

rowboat wrote:
daverupa: Unexamined personal preferences, projection of human-esque attributes & values onto one animal group and not another, thinking that one's subjective sense of cute/likeable/etc. animals is valid for determining one's ethical behaviors, habitually killed animals involve a different ethic than animals one doesn't hear about as often, the idea that certain animals are worth keeping alive irrespective of contextual ecological situations, and so forth, I expect.

No doubt it's all of the above. Also I imagine there is some cognitive dissonance over the fact they are carrying out the killing at the zoo itself. A zoo could be thought of as a collection of living dioramas, yes, but zoos, for the general public, are taken to be a sort of refuge for exotic and endangered animals. So there's that. My cynical view is that its a PR stunt meant to draw attention and increase traffic to the venue. A glance at my news feed just now - it appears what is, I suppose, the other zoo in Denmark is now going to kill one of their own giraffes.

Thanks for the heads up on the lack of giraffe-related puns. I thought I could come up with some but it really has been difficult.....a real pain in the neck. Sorry I can't come up with any but please don't feed me to the lions.
chownah
chownah

Postby Mkoll » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:44 am

chownah wrote:
rowboat wrote:

Thanks for the heads up on the lack of giraffe-related puns. I thought I could come up with some but it really has been difficult.....a real pain in the neck. Sorry I can't come up with any but please don't feed me to the lions.
chownah

:clap:
Brilliant!
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Return to Lounge