What has the Dhamma done for you...?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

What has the Dhamma done for you...?

Postby Kasina » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:43 am

Let's be honest... The path isn't always easy, especially for a lay person. When ever things look difficult, or I find myself dealing with doubt, I look at what the practice has done for me thus far. It's a good source of inspiration and confidence when life is wearing you down and the slow coming results of your practice are near and far between.

For me, the practice has made me utterly more honest. I find this honesty makes many things much simpler where they would have been much harder. :woohoo:

Share yours... Inspire yourself, inspire others!

Metta, Josh.
:anjali:
"This world completely lacks essence;
It trembles in all directions.
I longed to find myself a place
Unscathed — but I could not see it."

Sn 4.15 PTS: Sn 935-951 "Attadanda Sutta: Arming Oneself"

"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go... This is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life..."

Wilbur Mercer in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Kasina

Re: What has the Dhamma done for you...?

Postby Hickersonia » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:14 pm

Practicing as I have for the last two-ish years, I have gone from being an angry, fat, boozer who lashed out at everyone who got in his way to... well... not being those things. I stopped drinking the week I decided that I wanted to honestly be able to identify as a Buddhist (oddly, the week of Christmas, 2012), and I've learned to see the mind-states that were preventing me from being as faithful and loving to my wife as I should have been. At work, people chuckle when they notice my 5 year-old ID badge and proclaim "that picture is of the fat, angry you!" I look nothing like what I did then, and my actions are apparently just as different.

Am I perfect? No, not nearly. Can I see my faults more clearly than before? Definitely.

I cannot express my gratitude enough for what I have learned simply by being still, shutting up, and guarding my own mind a little. :anjali:
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Hickersonia

Re: What has the Dhamma done for you...?

Postby Kasina » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:25 pm

Hickersonia wrote:Practicing as I have for the last two-ish years, I have gone from being an angry, fat, boozer who lashed out at everyone who got in his way to... well... not being those things. I stopped drinking the week I decided that I wanted to honestly be able to identify as a Buddhist (oddly, the week of Christmas, 2012), and I've learned to see the mind-states that were preventing me from being as faithful and loving to my wife as I should have been. At work, people chuckle when they notice my 5 year-old ID badge and proclaim "that picture is of the fat, angry you!" I look nothing like what I did then, and my actions are apparently just as different.

Am I perfect? No, not nearly. Can I see my faults more clearly than before? Definitely.

I cannot express my gratitude enough for what I have learned simply by being still, shutting up, and guarding my own mind a little. :anjali:

Awesome!
"This world completely lacks essence;
It trembles in all directions.
I longed to find myself a place
Unscathed — but I could not see it."

Sn 4.15 PTS: Sn 935-951 "Attadanda Sutta: Arming Oneself"

"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go... This is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life..."

Wilbur Mercer in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Kasina

Return to Lounge