Buddhist economics: oxymoron or idea whose time has come?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Buddhist economics: oxymoron or idea whose time has come?

Postby Kusala » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:10 am

Homage to the Buddha
Thus indeed, is that Blessed One: He is the Holy One, fully enlightened, endowed with clear vision and virtuous conduct, sublime, the Knower of the worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, enlightened and blessed.

Homage to the Teachings
The Dhamma of the Blessed One is perfectly expounded; to be seen here and now; not delayed in
time; inviting one to come and see; onward leading (to Nibbana); to be known by the wise, each for himself.
Kusala

Re: Buddhist economics: oxymoron or idea whose time has come

Postby Kim OHara » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:58 am

Thoughts? Several, not at all well connected:
- The date on that web page is last week but I read about the person and the course last year or even the year before.
- Hesse's Siddhartha (I know, not dharma but dharma-inspired and coming from a Western viewpoint) has quite a lot to say about right livelihood and commercial success.
- The Ethical Investing movement http://www.australianethical.com.au/what-ethical-investment and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socially_responsible_investing seems to be a natural fit with Buddhist economics.
- Sustainability may well depend upon us finding and adopting an economic model which doesn't depend on endless growth. In fact, it must - since endless growth, however slow or careful, must hit the limits of the planet some time.

:coffee:
Kim
Kim OHara

Re: Buddhist economics: oxymoron or idea whose time has come

Postby soapy3 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:44 pm

I don't think an economic system informned by Buddhist values is possible.

The spirit of right livliehood seems to be about doing no harm and being honest. So much of what is manufactured does at least some harm. It also seems like every field one could have a good job in has some "industry fluff" to make it possible for people to make money.

The spirit of Buddhism in my opinon is about learning to want less and less. I think if most people went that way market demand for many things would drop and there wouldn't be enough jobs for people.
soapy3

Return to Lounge