2 Buddhisms? Ajahn Brahm and Thanisarro Bhikkhu

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Dan74

Re: 2 Buddhisms? Ajahn Brahm and Thanisarro Bhikkhu

Postby Dan74 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:03 pm

I think treachers and students inevitably bring their personalities to the way they impart and learn the Dhamma. This can also change with age as it was noted above Ajahn Brahm used to be quite different.
_/|\_

SarathW

Postby SarathW » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:48 am

Two football match commentators may give two completely different commentaries.
What important is how you perceive the match. :popcorn:
They all depend on your vantage point.
Even Buddha taught differently to different people.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:33 am

"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

soapy3

Postby soapy3 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:27 am

SarathW

Postby SarathW » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:52 am

I have seen many teachers give emphasis to different aspects of Noble Eightfold Path.
Many Sri Lankan monks, I know give emphasis to giving (Dana) and Virtues (Sela).
It appears to me Ajahan Braham stress on Jhana or Samadhi.
Ven. Thannisaro is a must if you want to understand Sutta and develop Panna (wisdom)
They all lead to the same goal Nibbana.
:)

soapy3

Postby soapy3 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:47 pm

Good morning SarathW,

I wasn't referring to the topics those men focus on, but the way they choose to focus on those topics, the words they pick, the way they frame those topics and life.

If it wasn't for Ajahn Brahm, I would be done with Theravada Buddhism aside from using it as a support for meditation.

I've found that the way TB, BB, and some others frame things to be gloomy, negative.......negatively inspiring.

That point was brought home to me even more in the past few months trying to deal with the death and other losses I experienced. I kept thinking about how other people had inspiring stories or beliefs to tell themselves. I did not. All I had were my echoes of TB & BB's writings on Buddhism. Not much in the way of emotional comfort in hard times.

Luckily, I knew about Ajahn Brahm. On the many nights were I couldn't sleep, couldn't sit still, and had to go out walking at all hours listening to his talks on my phone was a comfort.

culaavuso

Postby culaavuso » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:27 pm

soapy3

Postby soapy3 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:17 pm

Hi culaavuso,

Quoting the positive things Thanisarro Bhikkhu has to write in a single post only reinforces my view that he generally has negative things to say.

No disrespect, you post gave me a good idea. Asking people who are into TB what they find inspiring in those writings and why.

VinceField

Postby VinceField » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:33 am

SarathW

Postby SarathW » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:43 am

Some times I wonder whether we learn from others or just get the confirmation on which we already have (known).
:thinking:

soapy3

Postby soapy3 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:28 pm

VinceField

Postby VinceField » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:31 pm

Mkoll

Postby Mkoll » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:32 pm

Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa

Spiny Norman

Postby Spiny Norman » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:52 pm

"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

Anagarika

Postby Anagarika » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:25 pm

Soapy, my sense of where you're coming from is the way that you, and I'm sure others, perceive the written and video presentations of Ajahn Geoff, and compare that style to the way that Ajahn Brahm writes and teaches on his BSWA site. I have always felt it fortunate, auspicious, that we have both of these monks teaching in our time, along of course with so many other excellent monks and nuns.

Ajahn Geoff has always come across to me as akin to one of my graduate school professors. Sometimes a bit intimidating, but behind the scene much warmer and friendly with colleagues, yet a source of knowledge that is of great value. Ajahn Brahm is more akin to the medical doctor that truly knows his stuff, trained well, is well disciplined, but also learned that part of the delivery of the medicine is a great "bedside manner."

For me, if I have a general sense of wellbeing and am looking for some strengthening of my Dhamma academics, Ajahn Geoff is usually my go-to-monk for Sutta study and Dhammic information. On the other hand, if I am having a rough day, or experiencing some inner turmoil that I just can't seem to shake off, I am more apt to turn to one of Ajahn Brahm's talks on "letting go," or a similar subject. Certainly, he has stated that people in distress or suffering the loss or potential loss of a loved one, have come to him to say that his books or talks saved them from extended grief, or worse. My guess is that at some point in his monastic life, he understood that the way into people's heart and minds was through teaching Dhamma in light of everyday experience, everyday ups and downs, and with some humor interlaced. He's a storyteller with great wisdom, like the Irish seanachi, while Ajahn Geoff, to me, is the dean of the graduate school.

I've noted before that I have spent time at Wat Metta, and been around Ajahn Geoff when he gently teases one of his young monks to a chorus of laughter from the lay gallery. He's not humorless, at all. It's just that Ajahn Brahm may be your go-to-monk when life is hitting a rough spot, and you need both the wise doctor and the bedside cheer to keep you positive and seeing the bright side of life. This is not two Buddhisms, but one Dhamma that is fortunately being disseminated by two very different, but equally compelling teachers.

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:29 pm

DhammaOS

Postby DhammaOS » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:15 pm

I will admit Thanissaro Bhikku seems a bit blunt, but I don't really measure him as a downer, simply, a stern teacher, think someone said something along the lines of a fatherly figure type thing? I like them both for different reasons, Ajahn Brahm is very uplifting and lighthearted, and TB is very factual,straight, but surprisingly contemplative. We are fortunate to have access to a wide variety of teachers and their talks thanks to the internet.
"There are, O monks, these four lights. What four? The light of the moon, the light of the sun, the light of fire, and the light of wisdom. Of these four lights, the light of wisdom is supreme."-AN 4:143

Buddham saranam gacchami, Dhammam saranam gacchami, Sangham saranam gacchami

SarathW

Postby SarathW » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:15 pm

soapy3

Postby soapy3 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:18 pm

soapy3

Postby soapy3 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:30 pm

Return to “Lounge”