Question about Thailand

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Question about Thailand

Postby Zentruckdriver » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:19 pm

Hi Everyone,

This may seem a little vague but I am looking for some info
about a Monk I have seen on Thai television.

I spend a lot of time in Thailand and I keep seeing a broadcast
on TV it seems to come from a staged set that is all white the
audience are all dressed in white and the Monk is giving talks.

He has a style of speaking that is quite distinctive and after he
delivers a line or two of dialogue he kind of says ahhhhhh
and everybody laughs and he carries on speaking.

He is like some kind of Buddhist stand up but sitting down.
I always seem to find his broadcasts when channel surfing
and like to listen to him even though I don't understand a
lot of what he says (my Thai is quite limited).

So my question is do you know anything about him?
I have tried asking a few Thais about him but no one
has given me a satisfactory answer and I just want to
make sure I am not imagining it. :smile:

It's kind of like one of those movies you keep seeing in
segments but never as a whole.

So can anyone help with my sleuthing. :spy:

Many Thanks Paul.

:namaste:
Dipping a toe in or pulling myself from a swamp...yeah that covers it for now.
Zentruckdriver
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:00 pm

Re: Question about Thailand

Postby Goofaholix » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:25 am

There is a TV channel belonging to the late Luangta Maha Boowa, google him to see if the photo matches the person you are referring to.

Otherwise I think Dhammakaya has a tv channel, if the monk is wearing a flourescent orange robe and sitting in opulant surroundings my guess it would be them.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
User avatar
Goofaholix
 
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:49 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Question about Thailand

Postby appicchato » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:58 am

Throw up a link... :coffee:
User avatar
appicchato
 
Posts: 1598
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:47 am
Location: Bridge on the River Kwae

Re: Question about Thailand

Postby Zentruckdriver » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:19 am

Goofaholix wrote:There is a TV channel belonging to the late Luangta Maha Boowa, google him to see if the photo matches the person you are referring to.

Otherwise I think Dhammakaya has a tv channel, if the monk is wearing a flourescent orange robe and sitting in opulant surroundings my guess it would be them.


Well done Goofaholix :clap: You are the Watson to my Sherlock.


Found this with subtitles it's more representative of His delivery style as
I remember.
Dipping a toe in or pulling myself from a swamp...yeah that covers it for now.
Zentruckdriver
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:00 pm

Re: Question about Thailand

Postby Anagarika » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:09 pm

Zentruckdriver wrote:
Goofaholix wrote:There is a TV channel belonging to the late Luangta Maha Boowa, google him to see if the photo matches the person you are referring to.

Otherwise I think Dhammakaya has a tv channel, if the monk is wearing a flourescent orange robe and sitting in opulant surroundings my guess it would be them.


Well done Goofaholix :clap: You are the Watson to my Sherlock.


It's a similar coercive psychology employed by evangelical preachers in the US. Donate money, and you will find a place in heaven, or find wealth, or your illness will be cured. Money and power is at the root of these campaigns:
User avatar
Anagarika
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:25 pm

Re: Question about Thailand

Postby Zentruckdriver » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:47 pm

Interesting Anagarika,

This article makes some similar claims.
http://asiancorrespondent.com/87995/tha ... teve-jobs/

:namaste:
Dipping a toe in or pulling myself from a swamp...yeah that covers it for now.
Zentruckdriver
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:00 pm

Re: Question about Thailand

Postby helparcfun » Sat May 24, 2014 2:44 pm

Zentruckdriver wrote:

Found this with subtitles it's more representative of His delivery style as
I remember.


I have to listen to this noise on a regular basis because, as I've said elsewhere here, my Thai wife is heavily involved with this lot! I've come to hate the sound of his voice and all the pretend laughter in the background when he apparently says something humourous. Such an annoying TV station! I would like a meeting between his face and my fist!!
helparcfun
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:11 am


Return to Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 3 guests