I am a "buddha"

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
seeker242
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Re: I am a "buddha"

Postby seeker242 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:47 pm

Sounds like Zen! All except for the "I am" part.

:anjali:

waterchan
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Postby waterchan » Thu May 01, 2014 9:53 pm

Viscid wrote:The gist of gben's ideas about Self and Freedom don't seem wrong. The problem is when we dress such ideas up with romantic, metaphorical language and then cling to those insights as being evidence of one's superiority (in this case, gben's insight convinces him that he's a buddha.)

He should submit himself to a Theravada monastery as a Buddha and let the monks poke, prod and otherwise attempt to enrage him.

Give him two seconds to enter the fourth jhana and then scream in his ear.
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)

tiltbillings
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby tiltbillings » Thu May 01, 2014 11:46 pm

Viscid wrote:The gist of gben's ideas about Self and Freedom don't seem wrong. . .
What ideas? For all that he/she has said, which is next to nothing, there is not much substance, if any at all.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson

lyndon taylor
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Postby lyndon taylor » Thu May 01, 2014 11:56 pm

I thought I was a Buddha once, two weeks in the Psych ward convinced me otherwise!!!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community that has so generously given me so much, sincerely former monk John

Viscid

Postby Viscid » Fri May 02, 2014 12:12 am

tiltbillings wrote:
Viscid wrote:The gist of gben's ideas about Self and Freedom don't seem wrong. . .
What ideas? For all that he/she has said, which is next to nothing, there is not much substance, if any at all.

I agree his comments lack much substance, but in them there is a hint of insight beneath the sheen of self-importance:

Gben is concerned with freedom. He sees that people are generally not free: that they are moved and shaped by their culture, their institutions, their past and their projections into the future. He says that free people do away with [realize the 'falsity' of] these influences. In the second post he asserts there there is no intermediate state between being truly free in this sense and being enmired in samsara (I think this is arguable,) and that when you are free you can appreciate the world fully.

Regardless of whether you disagree with his assertions, it at least shows that gben has thought enough about these concepts to envision the contrast between samsaric, kammic bondage and freedom.

However all of this is beside my ACTUAL point which was that regarding yourself as a superior class of individual is an obstacle to overcome.
"What holds attention determines action." - William James

gben

Postby gben » Fri May 02, 2014 1:13 am

Viscid wrote:The problem with seeing yourself as some enlightened being is that it distorts self-evaluation

There are no divisions, they exist only for their creator. The only real laws are those that are universal. Thus if one is incapable of self evaluation, then you either have to apply your law to all, including the original Buddha, or admit that your observation exists only for your-self.

What appears here is not thinking, only seeing. Anything written following "gben" can be found anywhere and everywhere else, it belongs to no one, look and see.

All is all there is. One thought makes two worlds, two thoughts makes four, four makes sixteen, sixteen thoughts create 256 false worlds laid over what is real..

There are thousands of volumes of Buddhist writings from the past, all must be interpreted into your language, even this. It is your choice to spend time on writing that is two-thousand years old or two minutes old, how many rolls of the dice does your body have before it dies?

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri May 02, 2014 1:36 am

Viscid wrote:
I agree his comments lack much substance, but in them there is a hint of insight beneath the sheen of self-importance
A hint?

Gben is concerned with freedom. He sees that people are generally not free: that they are moved and shaped by their culture, their institutions, their past and their projections into the future.
Yes, well, it is a rather juvenile "insight" that is being expressed in a rather juvenile manner. Let's see where it goes.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

dheamhan a fhios agam

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson

alan

Postby alan » Fri May 02, 2014 3:46 am

Locked in your thoughts, freedom is the jailer.

Nothing appears, but everything is seen.

To see nothing is to see everything--but to understand everything you must see nothing.

All appearances are void of nothingness. To feel this is to touch the tree of reality.

Oh Wow, I'm a Buddha too!

manas

Postby manas » Fri May 02, 2014 4:13 am

And I'm Lao Tzu. Nice to meet you :hello:

alan

Postby alan » Fri May 02, 2014 4:18 am

Just as the water flows. relinquish thoughts.
Be like the stream, not pushing:
As a rock against the current, creating waves,
The wise do not.

Shoot, I'm a Taoist too. Who knew?

TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Fri May 02, 2014 6:43 am

This thread appears in the index with the image of a little paper clip.

When I place my 'mouse' indicator on it, I see it means 'attachments'.... :jumping:

Some words are good.
But when they're dressed up and presented as :meditate:
They stick in our craw, and go against the grain.

Let's try to not let this particular piece of food choke our understanding, or rub us up the wrong way.

Take what is useful, leave aside what is insignificant, but respect the what we perceive to be the 'Delusion' behind it all.
Don't we all demonstrate a bit of that?

After all, even horse manure has its uses....
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....

gben

Postby gben » Fri May 02, 2014 11:44 am

purple planet wrote:Hello and welcome to the forum its nice you joined :twothumbsup: maybe you can take part in the debate in other threads :hello:

Thank you,for the welcome. A debate is between two things, Since there are only two things to debate, only one debate is necessary..

TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Fri May 02, 2014 11:49 am

gben wrote:
purple planet wrote:Hello and welcome to the forum its nice you joined :twothumbsup: maybe you can take part in the debate in other threads :hello:

Thank you,for the welcome. A debate is between two things, Since there are only two things to debate, only one debate is necessary..

Not so.
I have researched the subject, and taken part in many myself.
Nowhere does it say that a debate is between two things.

A debate usually concerns but one subject matter, and may involve many views.
Therefore, purple planet is quite correct in his invitation.

If you chose to demur on such an invitation, that is your personal choice.

And loss, might I add.

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....

gben

Postby gben » Fri May 02, 2014 12:07 pm

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:But I can't help but think, "You must be the life and soul at parties".:namaste:

Those who can not help but think will never recognize a buddha at a party, in this forum thread, or anywhere. The Buddha appears as any to them.
Someone can walk up to you and say that they are a buddha, you will never know unless you are a buddha. A mechanical engineer can not talk to two who say they are rocket scientists and tell which actually is.

The buddha is seamlessly invisible or visible at will as is needed. The thinking has a name, the rest does not.

Only a buddha can look at what is, the world,all worlds, life, including all texts and words attributed to every philosopher, buddha and holy man and see what is real and what is not. Whereas thinking may spend forever clinging to one falsehood and never know it.

gben

Postby gben » Fri May 02, 2014 12:24 pm

Viscid wrote:However all of this is beside my ACTUAL point which was that regarding yourself as a superior class of individual is an obstacle to overcome.

Putting one part of the world above another is what needs to be overcome. It is thinking that puts a buddha above the rest of the world, or itself below one.

Making the buddha above, below, different or there and not here is exactly what makes the buddha above, below, different and not here.

Who will choose the monks to poke a buddha? The only difference between a monk and anyone else is that they call themselves a monk.

The only person who sees people are those who separate them from the rest of life.

gben

Postby gben » Fri May 02, 2014 12:33 pm

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:I have researched the subject, and taken part in many myself.
Nowhere does it say that a debate is between two things..

Your world will contain as many objects as you need it to. First you separated yourself from the world to create yourself. Then you looked at what was left and divided it into the words of your dictionary.

For a buddha there are only two things to debate, your world and the real world. Pitting the words in a dictionary against other words in the dictionary only creates more words in the dictionary.
Last edited by gben on Sat May 03, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Fri May 02, 2014 12:40 pm

gben wrote:[quote="TheNoBSBuddhist"I have researched the subject, and taken part in many myself.
Nowhere does it say that a debate is between two things..

Your world will contain as many objects as you need it to. First you separated yourself from the world to create yourself. Then you looked at what was left and divided it into the words of your dictionary.

For a buddha there are only two things to debate, your world and the real world. Pitting the words in a dictionary against other words in the dictionary only creates more words in the dictionary.

Now you're just being a smart-arse.

'Your world' and 'the real world' are one and the same. Non-duality.
You cannot separate the two.

Your World and The Real World are one and the same. Drop the veil of delusion my friend.
You are just as 'mistaken' as the rest of us.

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Fri May 02, 2014 1:44 pm

Welcome gben. Stick around and take things in, you might find it interesting. Also you might want to check out dharmaoverground.org.
"When you meditate, don't send your mind outside. Don't fasten onto any knowledge at all. Whatever knowledge you've gained from books or teachers, don't bring it in to complicate things. Cut away all preoccupations, and then as you meditate let all your knowledge come from what's going on in the mind. When the mind is quiet, you'll know it for yourself. But you have to keep meditating a lot. When the time comes for things to develop, they'll develop on their own. Whatever you know, have it come from your own mind.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... eleft.html

SDC

Postby SDC » Fri May 02, 2014 1:46 pm

An awakened being would have no use for such a charade. In fact they would know it would do more harm than good. :zzz:

ArkA

Postby ArkA » Fri May 02, 2014 3:10 pm

Is it LSD, cocaine ... Daniel Ingram?

May be he is the reincarnation of Chögyam Trungpa. Crazy wisdom!
I'll restart my yearlong meditation retreat on 15th June 2014, hence will not be here.

"Bhikkhus, there are these three things that shine when exposed, not when concealed. What three? (1) The moon. (2) The sun. (3) The Dhamma and discipline proclaimed by the Tathagata."
- Anguttara Nikaya, 3.131, Paticchanna Sutta

"Silence is the language of God; all else is poor translation."
– Rumi

Introduction: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20572

Return to “Lounge”