Saying yes to the positive and no to the negative

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Saying yes to the positive and no to the negative

Postby Stephen K » Sun May 11, 2014 7:31 pm

It's straight from the famous Dhammapada verse "Not to do any evil, to do what is good, and to purify the mind: this is the teaching of the Buddhas."

My sig is my interpretation of that verse. "'No' to the negative" is "Not to do any evil". "'Yes' to the positive" is both "To do what is good" and "To purify the mind". Purifying the mind is part of doing what is good.

I have verified that in my own experience. Whenever I have done good acts such as generosity or kindness, I've felt good about that. Whenever I've done bad kamma - that just sucked. Whenever I've felt happy and blissed out - that was awesome! Whenever I've experienced pain - that sucked.

So it's a well thought out philosophy. One just can't argue with it. I'm not perfect and I may make mistakes from time to time, but I am trying my best to do what is right and not to do what is wrong. I don't sweat it if I make harmless mistakes, but I do avoid doing bad kamma.

Be happy.
With metta,
Upāsaka Sumana
Stephen K

Re: Saying yes to the positive and no to the negative

Postby martinfrank » Mon May 19, 2014 6:56 am

"Good" and "bad" are like black and white in the yin yang sign. They are part of this world. Let go of "good" and "bad" and focus on liberation.
The Noble Eightfold Path: Proposed to all, imposed on none.
martinfrank

Re: Saying yes to the positive and no to the negative

Postby Spiny Norman » Mon May 19, 2014 8:53 am

martinfrank wrote:"Good" and "bad" are like black and white in the yin yang sign. They are part of this world. Let go of "good" and "bad" and focus on liberation.

Though in the suttas a distinction is repeatedly made between wholesome and unwholesome, and the distinction seems pivotal in terms of Right Effort.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Spiny Norman

Return to Lounge