Martial Law in Thailand

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Martial Law in Thailand

Postby Kim OHara » Tue May 20, 2014 2:04 am

Thailand's army declares martial law, troops take over TV stations, acting PM still in office

Thailand's army has declared martial law in an announcement on military TV, but insists it is not staging a coup.
The announcement said martial law had been invoked "to restore peace and order for people from all sides" and added that "the public do not need to panic but can still live their lives as normal".
The Thai government said it was not consulted in advance of the military declaration, and said acting prime minister Niwattumrong Boonsongpaisan remained in power.
"Everything is normal except the military is responsible for all national security issues," the prime minister's chief security adviser Paradon Pattanatabut told the AFP news agency.

More: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-20/thai-army-declares-martial-law-military-tv/5464040

:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Re: Martial Law in Thailand

Postby Mkoll » Tue May 20, 2014 4:31 am

That's big news. #1 most read on BBC right now.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27480845

I hope that whatever happens, it happens without violence and bloodshed.
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby cooran » Tue May 20, 2014 5:32 am

It is not unheard of for the Army to take a role in Thailand. Hopefully, if things get too scary the deeply respected King will intervene and indicate how he wishes things to proceed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Thailand

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby mikenz66 » Tue May 20, 2014 5:43 am

Unfortunately, the King has been quite ill for some time...

Hopefully this is nothing to worry about for normal travel, but you never know.

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby Mr Man » Tue May 20, 2014 5:43 am

cooran wrote:It is not unheard of for the Army to take a role in Thailand. Hopefully, if things get too scary the deeply respected King will intervene and indicate how he wishes things to proceed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Thailand

With metta,
Chris

What about democratic process?
Mr Man

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue May 20, 2014 5:49 am

Mr Man wrote:What about democratic process?

That only works where people respect it. In Thailand, the losing party complains about vote-rigging and starts a riot.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby appicchato » Tue May 20, 2014 7:15 am

It's never been a factor here...
appicchato

Postby Mr Man » Tue May 20, 2014 7:33 am

appicchato wrote:

I think your comment needs to have "allowed" in it somewhere bhante.
Mr Man

Postby appicchato » Tue May 20, 2014 11:47 am

Mr Man wrote:
appicchato wrote:

I think your comment needs to have "allowed" in it somewhere bhante.

Your prerogative, of course...although after spending nearly forty years in the realm (and others in the vicinity), along with pursuing an interest in it's history, I'll stand by my statement...the (idea of the) term 'democratic process' (like that of most of Asia) is not in the dictionary...

While on the subject, one might challenge anyone to name a single 'democracy', anywhere, where big bucks, corporations, special interests, cronyism, nepotism, guns, religion, etc., don't hold sway over mankind in it's entirety in the pursuit/denial, actually, of true representation for our benefit...the caveat being that 'democratic process' doesn't mean that to the participants of the aforementioned...no power/democratic process is contested in the open...
appicchato

Postby Mkoll » Tue May 20, 2014 5:47 pm

Democracy is imperfect but it's the best we've got right now. The alternatives are monarchy, oligarchy, authoritarianism, etc. Not too appetizing.
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby Kim OHara » Wed May 21, 2014 6:35 am

Politicians-and-babies.jpg
Politicians-and-babies.jpg (134.99 KiB) Viewed 610 times

Mark Twain got it right, and it's why we don't have the ideal democracies that we would wish for. We might have been closer to it when they were new, but each generation of politicians is a little less honest and idealistic than the one before it while each generation of businessmen is a little smarter about corrupting the system.
Sigh.
Most of our "modern" western democracies are over a century old and it's showing: nepotism, entrenched corruption and (in some cases) paralysis. I would like to hope we can reform them from within but I'm not sure that we can. We may have to break them wide open and start again ... and then repeat the cycle when the new lot go the same way.

In that context, the army may just be doing the right thing in Thailand. I don't know, but I hope so.

Kim
Kim OHara

Postby Mkoll » Wed May 21, 2014 7:48 am

Right now, things are relatively calm. From the comments I've read, this could change if the military decides to take a more active role in the political situation, going from a "half coup" to a full one.
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby Mr Man » Thu May 22, 2014 10:55 am

And now a coup.
:weep:
Mr Man

Postby appicchato » Thu May 22, 2014 12:05 pm

She'll be right (#3 for me (or 4?))...it's a Bangkok thing...in the rest of the country it's SOP...the FUBAR nuttiness of late will soon be rectified...(we hope)...
appicchato

Postby Mkoll » Thu May 22, 2014 3:49 pm

Yep, real coup now. Hope everything is resolved without bloodshed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27517591
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Thu May 22, 2014 4:31 pm

I know a woman who lives there and she feels it's probably the best thing that's happened so far....

The opposing political factions have, in turns, caused mayhem.
There has been violence, and there have been killings.
On the face of it, it seems the army has stepped in like a parent who has lost their patience, and told them that from now on, things will be done properly....

I'm merely passing this on, I cannot personally make comment, other than to say as she lives there, I trust she knows what she's talking about.

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby Dan Rooney » Fri May 23, 2014 6:25 am

I know a woman who lives there and she feels it's probably the best thing that's happened so far....

On the face of it, it seems the army has stepped in like a parent who has lost their patience, and told them that from now on, things will be done properly....

I'm merely passing this on, I cannot personally make comment, other than to say as she lives there, I trust she knows what she's talking about.

I live in Thailand. I don't think that and I don't know anyone else who thinks that. But, of course, reactionaries cheer the army and these people are found everywhere, Thailand included.

it's a Bangkok thing...in the rest of the country it's SOP...the FUBAR nuttiness of late will soon be rectified...(we hope)...

There are soldiers out across the country. Yesterday there was a curfew. There is massive censorship in place. Academics, political leaders and activists are being detained. Essentially all basic civil liberties have been suspended. It's far too early to know for certain what will happen but it seems probable that the next constitution will be even less democratic than the last. That means that the voices of the urban and rural working classes are even less likely to be allowed to be heard and that in turn means that the prospect of sustained armed conflict has been brought dramatically closer. Coups have NEVER solved anything in Thailand and, unless, Prayuth has a magic wand up his sleeve (and he doesn't), this is only going to make things much, much, much worse.

And, lest we forget, General Prayuth, who is now running the country, played a crucial role in the slaughter of pro-democracy activists in 2010. If you have any ideas that this man represents anything other than brute repression, you should forget them now.
Dan Rooney

Postby Mr Man » Fri May 23, 2014 7:46 am

Dan Rooney wrote:

I live in Thailand. I don't think that and I don't know anyone else who thinks that. But, of course, reactionaries cheer the army and these people are found everywhere, Thailand included.

it's a Bangkok thing...in the rest of the country it's SOP...the FUBAR nuttiness of late will soon be rectified...(we hope)...

There are soldiers out across the country. Yesterday there was a curfew. There is massive censorship in place. Academics, political leaders and activists are being detained. Essentially all basic civil liberties have been suspended. It's far too early to know for certain what will happen but it seems probable that the next constitution will be even less democratic than the last. That means that the voices of the urban and rural working classes are even less likely to be allowed to be heard and that in turn means that the prospect of sustained armed conflict has been brought dramatically closer. Coups have NEVER solved anything in Thailand and, unless, Prayuth has a magic wand up his sleeve (and he doesn't), this is only going to make things much, much, much worse.

And, lest we forget, General Prayuth, who is now running the country, played a crucial role in the slaughter of pro-democracy activists in 2010. If you have any ideas that this man represents anything other than brute repression, you should forget them now.

:goodpost:
Mr Man

Postby appicchato » Fri May 23, 2014 10:12 am

Why, oh why am I responding?...so many inaccurate, out of proportion, misguided inferences in the previous posts...suffice it to say that, unequivocally, what's transpired recently is for the better...believe what you will...
:coffee:
appicchato

Postby Mr Man » Fri May 23, 2014 10:31 am

appicchato wrote:Why, oh why am I responding?...so many inaccurate, out of proportion, misguided inferences in the previous posts...suffice it to say that, unequivocally, what's transpired recently is for the better...believe what you will...
:coffee:

Hi Bhante, I'm not certain I understand your point. You mean a coup is for the better of Thailand and the Thai population?
Mr Man

Next

Return to Lounge