Hindu guru claims homosexuality can be 'cured' by yoga

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.

Hindu guru claims homosexuality can be 'cured' by yoga

Postby Denisa » Fri May 30, 2014 10:26 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -yoga.html

Ahem... homosexuality is a sickness then!
Denisa

Re: Hindu guru claims homosexuality can be 'cured' by yoga

Postby Mkoll » Fri May 30, 2014 10:45 pm

Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Fri May 30, 2014 10:56 pm

Ooooh!

I thought he said Yo-ghurt!!
:namaste:

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby Denisa » Fri May 30, 2014 10:57 pm

My husband says that he can't wait to see this "homosexuality 'curing' yoga asana"!
Denisa

Postby Monkey Mind » Fri May 30, 2014 11:46 pm

Because all of these 20-something men in yoga pants is supposed to to turn me off from being gay? FAIL.

Somewhat related: all of these women wearing yoga pant in public... Re confirms my gayness.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Monkey Mind

Postby manas » Sat May 31, 2014 2:46 am

The notion that being either lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender is an 'illness' in need of a 'cure' is indeed an offensive one, but then I guess that's not the worst that queer folk have to endure. I hope he finds a cure for his ignorance. (Obviously Yoga isn't doing anything to alleviate it.)
manas

Postby Jetavan » Sat May 31, 2014 3:08 am

He looks gay to me.
Jetavan

Postby Denisa » Sat May 31, 2014 3:59 am

Jetavan wrote:He looks gay to me.

To me he looks like a gangster, not a spiritual figure.
Denisa

Postby manas » Sat May 31, 2014 6:19 am

As per usual, the 'great' monotheistic religions have a lot to answer for.
manas

Postby Aloka » Sat May 31, 2014 9:55 am

That doesn't seem to be a recent news article, its dated July 2009.

Aloka

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Sat May 31, 2014 10:38 am

prejudice is timeless.
I'll bet you his stance hasn't altered one iota...

You will not be punished FOR your 'emotions'; you will be punished BY your 'emotions'.

Pay attention, simplify, and (Meditation instruction in a nutshell) "Mind - the Gap."
‘Absit invidia verbo’ - may ill-will be absent from the word. And mindful of that, if I don't respond, this may be why....
TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby waterchan » Sat May 31, 2014 11:41 am

TheNoBSBuddhist wrote:prejudice is timeless.
I'll bet you his stance hasn't altered one iota...

Am I the only one who sees the irony in this? :tongue:
quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
waterchan

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Sat May 31, 2014 12:42 pm

Probably. It takes a genius to understand a genius.

:rolleye:

:rofl:

TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby m0rl0ck » Sat May 31, 2014 2:43 pm

waterchan wrote:Am I the only one who sees the irony in this? :tongue:

No :D

And why is it that no one is looking for a cure for heterosexuality? it has always seemed the bigger problem to me. :)
"When you meditate, don't send your mind outside. Don't fasten onto any knowledge at all. Whatever knowledge you've gained from books or teachers, don't bring it in to complicate things. Cut away all preoccupations, and then as you meditate let all your knowledge come from what's going on in the mind. When the mind is quiet, you'll know it for yourself. But you have to keep meditating a lot. When the time comes for things to develop, they'll develop on their own. Whatever you know, have it come from your own mind.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... eleft.html
m0rl0ck

Postby daverupa » Sat May 31, 2014 2:49 pm

So, m0rl0ck, do you want to unpack that statement for us?

This thread is already of questionable use; it's warming up to be a cause and condition for various moderator activities.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby m0rl0ck » Sat May 31, 2014 2:59 pm

daverupa wrote:So, m0rl0ck, do you want to unpack that statement for us?

I jsut meant that sexuality generally seems to be a problem for humans and was trying to comment on that humorously. Sorry if i ruffled any feathers.
And actually im kind of enjoying the thread :)
"When you meditate, don't send your mind outside. Don't fasten onto any knowledge at all. Whatever knowledge you've gained from books or teachers, don't bring it in to complicate things. Cut away all preoccupations, and then as you meditate let all your knowledge come from what's going on in the mind. When the mind is quiet, you'll know it for yourself. But you have to keep meditating a lot. When the time comes for things to develop, they'll develop on their own. Whatever you know, have it come from your own mind.
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... eleft.html
m0rl0ck

Postby TheNoBSBuddhist » Sat May 31, 2014 3:04 pm

For my part, I took it to be tongue-in-cheek.

This yogic guru is not the only revered Spiritual/Religious leader to claim that homosexuality is a medical or mental construct/affliction.

Some Christian representatives have stated much the same, and there are even qualified medical practitioners who claim to be able to 'cure' such a condition.
Of course, it's nonsense.
I think m0rl0ck was merely being ironic.

The most intelligent answer I have ever come across was this, when some 'bright spark' asked a gay man:

"So, when did you first realise you were homosexual?"
Came the response -
"When did you first realise you were heterosexual?"

TheNoBSBuddhist

Postby daverupa » Sat May 31, 2014 3:29 pm

Well, it's somewhat early where I am, and in any event I tend to prefer clear communication over humor when this sort of thing is being taken seriously in various quarters.

To say any sexuality is an illness to be cured is simply an unhelpful modality for discussing the complex issues surrounding human sexuality generally, and aligning with the Dhamma specifically as laypeople in various walks of life.

I'm sorry if I prefer this sort of communication over light-hearted banter. I bring books to parties, etc., so perhaps mea culpa.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby Denisa » Sat May 31, 2014 3:37 pm

Aloka wrote:.

That doesn't seem to be a recent news article, its dated July 2009.

When I read The Telegraph link mentioned in the alan's post, this link appear below under Related Articles. I didn't even bother to look at the date since it's irrelevant to me. I found the guru's claim to be funny, so I posted it here as a "casual discussion amongst spiritual friends". Is there anything wrong with it?

2009 or 2075 (I don't think I'll make it), I'll find guru's claim to be funny and ignorant.
Denisa

Postby lyndon taylor » Sat May 31, 2014 3:39 pm

just to put this in context, I've met more than one homosexual who claimed they could cure people of heterosexuality!!
18 years ago I made one of the most important decisions of my life and entered a local Cambodian Buddhist Temple as a temple boy and, for only 3 weeks, an actual Therevada Buddhist monk. I am not a scholar, great meditator, or authority on Buddhism, but Buddhism is something I love from the Bottom of my heart. It has taught me sobriety, morality, peace, and very importantly that my suffering is optional, and doesn't have to run my life. I hope to give back what little I can to the Buddhist community that has so generously given me so much, sincerely former monk John
lyndon taylor

Next

Return to Lounge